or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best over-ear for home use (<$400)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best over-ear for home use (<$400)

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Looking for an over-ear headphone for usimg at home.
Budget: 400 bucks or less
Sound: not ultra balanced, but not super bassy like M-100, something In between
Comfort: Needs to very comfortable because I'm gong to use it for long periods of time
Build: Needs to be durable
Other: detachable cable is a must. Not a fashionista, but I really hate the looks of the Sennheiser HD 650 and similar, so nothing like that.

Multiple suggestions are preferred.
post #2 of 21

HiFiMan HE-400

http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=115

post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post
 

HiFiMan HE-400

http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=115

+1

post #4 of 21

+2

 

HE400 is probably the one of the best performance-price ratio you can get under $400 if you are considering open headphones.

 

it is seems to me to be extremely balanced close to ultra balanced while having great bass. of course, there are more ultra balanced options, but the price jumps significantly up.

 

For closed options, I would consider the Sennheiser Momentum (decently neutral; portable), the Sony MDR-1R (extremely comfortable - most comfortable closed,portable headphones I have ever tried), and the AKG K550 (amazingly flat sound w/ crazy soundstage for closed headphones and great bass extension - not really portable)

 

For open options under $400 besides the HE400 (which would be on the top of my list), Sennheiser HD 600/650 have been really popular for a long time and the AKG K701/702 are solid options. Note: the Sennheiser HD600/650 and the HE500 really benefit from amping (so you might end up throwing $50-100+ down on an amp to get closer to their SQ potential)


Edited by money4me247 - 12/14/13 at 3:29pm
post #5 of 21

HE 400

post #6 of 21

Hifiman HE 400, or Sennheiser HD 650

post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPigman View Post
 

Hifiman HE 400, or Sennheiser HD 650

depends what you are looking for (very neutral sound vs. neutral sound w/ more bass quality). I personally would recommend the HE400.

post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

depends what you are looking for (very neutral sound vs. neutral sound w/ more bass quality). I personally would recommend the HE400.

Looking for "neutral sound w/ more bass quality" :)

post #9 of 21

Yep, get the HE400. It's pretty much unanimous.

post #10 of 21

By the way, do you have an amp?

post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimano45 View Post

Looking for an over-ear headphone for usimg at home.
Budget: 400 bucks or less
Sound: not ultra balanced, but not super bassy like M-100, something In between
Comfort: Needs to very comfortable because I'm gong to use it for long periods of time
Build: Needs to be durable
Other: detachable cable is a must. Not a fashionista, but I really hate the looks of the Sennheiser HD 650 and similar, so nothing like that.

Multiple suggestions are preferred.

totally love the diversity of recommendations here.

 

That aside, HIFIMAN HE-400 ALL THE WAY. i can definitely vouch for them :P

 

you pretty much described the he-400's. 

post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post
 

By the way, do you have an amp?

@OP, you should get an amp for the HE400. You don't need anything fancy. I have a cheap $65 bravo v3 tube amp and it sounds great.

 

Other recs if getting the HE400 are the velour pads ($10) and a head-band mod for increased comfort ($10-20).

post #13 of 21

I'm not sure why you'd rule out HD650's sound: I would hardly call it neutral. It's rich, dark, elegant, and all-encompassing with a veiled treble. It's not my preferred sound, but it might suit you just fine. As many others do, I happen to really like HE400. Note that its comfort is excellent and lightweight for a Hifiman = worse than averageA third option might be Philips Fidelio L1. I haven't heard it and doubt it's in the same league, but it's worth looking into. 

post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 

I don't have an amp, but I am considering to get one.

 

If I do, it will be a portable one so I can use it on the go as well. I live in Norway and the HE-400 is barely available at some small online stores, so I don't think I can buy any of the mentioned accesories.

 

I listen to bassy music, so an ultra-balanced sound signature is a dealbreaker.

post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimano45 View Post
 

I don't have an amp, but I am considering to get one.

 

If I do, it will be a portable one so I can use it on the go as well. I live in Norway and the HE-400 is barely available at some small online stores, so I don't think I can buy any of the mentioned accesories.

 

I listen to bassy music, so an ultra-balanced sound signature is a dealbreaker.

I listen to mainly EDM & hip hop, but the HE400 performs very admirably for both bassy-genres. the velour pads is not a must have & the headband mod can be any sort of 3rd party cushion (even sennheiser HD600 headband cushion + velcro works). neither is a must-have.

 

however, if you are looking for an on-the-go headphones neither the HD650 or the HE 400 would be suitable for you. they do require an amp/dac to sound the best & they are the best sound quality per price, but open home-use headphones are usually better sounding than closed portables at a specific price. you can also lower your budget to $200-300 if going for a closed, portable pair of headphones as you can find best-in-the-class mid-fi closed portables in that price range. For closed/portable, I would recommend the Sennheiser Momentums as a starting point. Note: you don't really need an amp for mi-fi closed/portable headphones.


Edited by money4me247 - 12/18/13 at 6:14am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best over-ear for home use (<$400)