Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion, Questions] #FirstthreadtocoverXS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion, Questions] #FirstthreadtocoverXS - Page 42

post #616 of 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardstyleLoco96 View Post

Well in Melbourne the stores I know of is Jaben Audio and Volume Store, they both have websites aswell.

Great I live in Melbourne as well.
post #617 of 828
haha cool cool well yeh you should try out the stores theres also a small store in highpoint called move thats where I tryd the Momentums, in Doncaster that's where they have Volume Store you can try the Lp2, M80, M100 and XS. Jaben Audio I forget where it is tongue.gif it's near melbourne central though I think it's in Lonsdale Street they only have the M100 but they have a few good headphones such as Denon, Shure, Sennheiser they have good brands tongue.gif it's a small store but the people in there are good to talk with but my fave store though is Volume Store
Edited by HardstyleLoco96 - 5/19/14 at 5:52am
post #618 of 828
post #619 of 828

Been waiting on these measurements!

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaXS.pdf

 

Compared to

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaM80.pdf

 

the XS has more treble energy and more of a bass emphasis.  I developed an EQ for the XS assuming that it was not too different from the M80 except for a bit more bass emphasis (which is what I heard) back in this post:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/695104/v-moda-xs-v-moda-m-80s-upgraded-pictures-and-more-discussion-questions-firstthreadtocoverxs/240#post_10424900

 

Those settings should more or less still work -- I will investigate more now that Tyll's published the curve.

 

Something else we now know:  The XS and M80 measure different.  They have a similar sound, but the XS is a better listen IMO. 

post #620 of 828

Over time, I had tweaked the settings from my last post (I'd forgotten this), so now I am doing something slightly different:

 

Band 1:  80Hz center frequency, a reduction of (-4) dB, and a Q of 0.3.

Band 2:  670Hz center frequency, a boost of +3 dB, and a Q of 0.5.

 

If you are missing some of the sparkle, add a third band of EQ up around 9kHz - 10kHz, with a Q of 0.7 and a boost of a few dB (+3dB is plenty), and use shelving EQ there if you have it.  Rockbox is perfect for this if you've got a player with it -- three bands of EQ is pretty easy from a DSP perspective. 

 

This headphone has been my go-to choice while walking, and with the above settings, much of the loose bass concern of this can goes away.

post #621 of 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman7 View Post
 

If you are missing some of the sparkle, add a third band of EQ up around 9kHz - 10kHz, with a Q of 0.7 and a boost of a few dB (+3dB is plenty), and use shelving EQ there if you have it. 

 

I second that. I just auditioned the XS yesterday and really enjoyed boosting that range. It totally gave me the sparkle I demand, without losing its "groove".

post #622 of 828

A lot of people considered the m80, hd25-1 ii and the dt1350 to be the best portable headphones with a $300 budget though with the m80s being the less liked of the 3 (though still great). How do you think the new upgrade now compares to the two others of the triumvirate?

post #623 of 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvwer View Post
 

A lot of people considered the m80, hd25-1 ii and the dt1350 to be the best portable headphones with a $300 budget though with the m80s being the less liked of the 3 (though still great). How do you think the new upgrade now compares to the two others of the triumvirate?

"In comparing the XS to the V-Moda M-80 I hear the M-80 as a bit cooler sounding with slightly less bass and slightly more emphasis on mid-treble snap...though it does not extend as well into the top octave. When compared to the Sennheiser HD 25 Aluminum I find the XS better balanced and more satisfying overall, but the HD 25 does a better job with treble resolution, bass tightness, and imaging. Against the Beyer DT 1350 the XS balance shows through again with my particular DT 1350 (they seems to vary quite a bit) the treble is somewhat rolled-off relative to the XS, on the other hand bass was tighter and more impactful with the Beyer. Comparing to the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear, I find them quit similar in bass response—a little thick and slow. The better balance of the XS in the low treble region does a substantially better job on vocal overtones than the Momentum On-Ears, which tend to make vocals sound a little withdrawn in comparison."

Tyll's full review here.

post #624 of 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvwer View Post

A lot of people considered the m80, hd25-1 ii and the dt1350 to be the best portable headphones with a $300 budget though with the m80s being the less liked of the 3 (though still great). How do you think the new upgrade now compares to the two others of the triumvirate?

I own all three and here's what I'll say. I love the 1350s for their treble. I love the XS for their bass, punchyness and comfort. I love the HD 25 because they have both, though not as comfortable.

I use the XS for long term listening and almost all electronic music. Rock sounds a bit better on the other two.

I really wanted to sell one of them, but they're all so different and complement each other so well I don't see myself doing that anytime soon.
post #625 of 828

Hey guys so after tyll's review,

 

he mentioned about the seemingly overly smooth fuzzy treble and the somewhat loose bass , i recently tried something that might help with that fuzzy treble and the loose bass on my xs. i did find the bass was not as tight as i what i would like, but the treble thing was not as obvious to me. (i listened to my re400 again today a/bed with the xs--> i know one is an iem and the other is a on ear) but the treble on the re400 is clearly more articulate and extends farther.

 

what i did was take some medical or transpore tape and basically stuck them over the v-port. (not the prettiest thing) this suppressed the width of the soundstage a bit but helps a bit with tightening that bass and help with the treble articulation. 

 

the treble is still smooth but its a little less smoothed over compare to before, helping out a bit (a huge plus for me, i like my sparkly treble 

easily reversible. i now moved on to putting it on the underside of the shield. so its out of sight 

i haven't tried with other tape but i think it helps a bit. its not world changing but i find it helps.

 

 

 

 

 

Tom

 

all credits goes to @dj1001 for this idea and the m100 black shield pictures

post #626 of 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman7 View Post
 

Been waiting on these measurements!

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaXS.pdf

 

Compared to

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaM80.pdf

 

the XS has more treble energy and more of a bass emphasis.  I developed an EQ for the XS assuming that it was not too different from the M80 except for a bit more bass emphasis (which is what I heard) back in this post:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/695104/v-moda-xs-v-moda-m-80s-upgraded-pictures-and-more-discussion-questions-firstthreadtocoverxs/240#post_10424900

 

Those settings should more or less still work -- I will investigate more now that Tyll's published the curve.

 

Something else we now know:  The XS and M80 measure different.  They have a similar sound, but the XS is a better listen IMO. 

 

If I'm reading the square plots right, I might not, but the XS has quicker decay than the M-80 as well...  So there are two sides to that story :p 

post #627 of 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardstyleLoco96 View Post

haha cool cool well yeh you should try out the stores theres also a small store in highpoint called move thats where I tryd the Momentums, in Doncaster that's where they have Volume Store you can try the Lp2, M80, M100 and XS. Jaben Audio I forget where it is tongue.gif it's near melbourne central though I think it's in Lonsdale Street they only have the M100 but they have a few good headphones such as Denon, Shure, Sennheiser they have good brands tongue.gif it's a small store but the people in there are good to talk with but my fave store though is Volume Store

Thanks I'll try volume store
post #628 of 828

Few review updates, its always good to see what the media is saying as well as the forums!

 

XS just won it's 5th Editors' Choice award in just a few weeks, this time by USA Today's Reviewed.com... I am AMPED!

 

"When you combine their high-quality sound with great extras and a form factor that might outlast the car you bought last year, the $200 price tag feels very fair—especially considering the closest competition is over $100 more expensive." -USA Today Reviewed.com Editors' Choice 

http://headphones.reviewed.com/content/v-moda-xs-headphones-review

 

"Practically Perfect in Every Way" -Innerfidelity Tyll

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/practically-perfect-every-way-v-moda-xs

 

"Durable, powerful and just plain beautiful, V-MODA's XS headphones are a trifecta of awesome"-NBC News Listen Up! Best Headphones for Students 

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gift-guide/listen-best-headphones-students-n104611

 

Maybe you'll come across XS in newspapers and magazines soon!  

 

I'm off to drive to Germany on the autobahn, arrivederci!

Reply
post #629 of 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

XS just won it's 5th Editors' Choice award in just a few weeks, this time by USA Today's Reviewed.com... I am AMPED!

 

"When you combine their high-quality sound with great extras and a form factor that might outlast the car you bought last year, the $200 price tag feels very fair—especially considering the closest competition is over $100 more expensive." -USA Today Reviewed.com Editors' Choice 

http://headphones.reviewed.com/content/v-moda-xs-headphones-review

 

"Practically Perfect in Every Way" -Innerfidelity Tyll

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/practically-perfect-every-way-v-moda-xs

 

"Durable, powerful and just plain beautiful, V-MODA's XS headphones are a trifecta of awesome"-NBC News Listen Up! Best Headphones for Students 

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gift-guide/listen-best-headphones-students-n104611

 

Maybe you'll come across XS in newspapers and magazines soon!  

 

I'm off to drive to Germany on the autobahn, arrivederci!

 

 

Good job - got me quasi hooked!

post #630 of 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton 

I'm off to drive to Germany on the autobahn, arrivederci!

Bring some xs please. They aren't available anywhere here yet wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion, Questions] #FirstthreadtocoverXS