Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion, Questions] #FirstthreadtocoverXS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion, Questions] #FirstthreadtocoverXS - Page 21

post #301 of 811

thanks for the cable option there.  yeah I think it's probably wise to stick with vmoda cables with these bad boys.  will probably wait until the new remote cables come out.  so that's why they were pulled? had no idea.  will just have to live with manually adjusting volume for a little while longer then. haha. I guess I've always been use to having a remote ever since the old MD days and those illuminated remotes from sony.

post #302 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesonofkrypton View Post

thanks for the cable option there.  yeah I think it's probably wise to stick with vmoda cables with these bad boys.  will probably wait until the new remote cables come out.  so that's why they were pulled? had no idea.  will just have to live with manually adjusting volume for a little while longer then. haha. I guess I've always been use to having a remote ever since the old MD days and those illuminated remotes from sony.
Im curious but why are u finding u have to continually adjust the volume? Like the previous poster, i have a set volume for everything. Like if im going into the subway from riding the bus i turn up the volume maybe to two clicks but i leave it there.

Are u switching the volume between songs?
post #303 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Existence View Post

I retract my statement about the bass.
The XS have bass... A good amount of it, but you have to get the right volume and fit (seal) to find it. I didn't find the fit and seal, but now I did....
I 'massaged' the pads a bit by squeezing them together, then stretched the headband for 30 seconds on my head with no head adjustment, then bent the headband back a bit.
The XS remind me of a moped (a more classy, high end one, stealthy and quiet for onlookers), while the M100 are a motorbike (not scared to make a noise and make it good).

Im glad u found ur seal! But still surprised with ur findings, i guess the bass quantity is all relative. I actually found the xs really bassy. To me theres a mild midbass hump, but i came from very neutral sound signatures from the hifiman re400( some call bass light) , and the vsonic gr07be.

Then again i purchased the m100s before the xs and that was like an insane amount of bass.

Xs i find definitely has less bass > m100.

Its midbass is still punchier >m100. I dont know if i can call the bass on the xs linear. Maybe more so than the m80, i wouldnt know.
post #304 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesonofkrypton View Post
 

thanks for the cable option there.  yeah I think it's probably wise to stick with vmoda cables with these bad boys.  will probably wait until the new remote cables come out.  so that's why they were pulled? had no idea.  will just have to live with manually adjusting volume for a little while longer then. haha. I guess I've always been use to having a remote ever since the old MD days and those illuminated remotes from sony.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post


Im curious but why are u finding u have to continually adjust the volume? Like the previous poster, i have a set volume for everything. Like if im going into the subway from riding the bus i turn up the volume maybe to two clicks but i leave it there.

Are u switching the volume between songs?

 

 

Do you have Apple iDevice? there's an option to have all songs at the same level. I don't know what the actual feature is called. I don't know if other sources has this feature. If I have a headphone/IEM without the volume control, I just press the iPhone/iPod volume buttons through my pants since I keep it in my pocket.

 

Meelectronics has an audio cable for their Atlas headphone line that has a volume slider to go with a single button with mic. That may be an option, or something similar. Just keep your source at max volume and adjust with the slider.

post #305 of 811

Reviews for these are all over the map as far as the bass goes; they range from 'no bass' to 'less bass than the M100' to more mid bass and less sub bass' to 'the bass is dependent on adjusting the fit and seal.'

 

Mine will arrive on Tuesday, so I guess I'll find out then.  I have the M100, which, depending on the recording, has either plenty of bass, or a bit too much.  

 

Volume control from a cable will not be an issue, since I am using the Vamp Verza, so I have to use its volume knob.  Once I have the music playing, however, I rarely need to adjust anything.

 

I'm looking forward to 'closing the gap' and trying these out.  My girlfriend says I look silly out walking with the M100s on, due to the headband sticking out at the sides of my head, so the XS should at least solve that problem.

post #306 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteebin View Post




Do you have Apple iDevice? there's an option to have all songs at the same level. I don't know what the actual feature is called. I don't know if other sources has this feature. If I have a headphone/IEM without the volume control, I just press the iPhone/iPod volume buttons through my pants since I keep it in my pocket.

Meelectronics has an audio cable for their Atlas headphone line that has a volume slider to go with a single button with mic. That may be an option, or something similar. Just keep your source at max volume and adjust with the slider.

Yup sound check it should be in the settings on ur apple device or in itunes
post #307 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesonofkrypton View Post
 

I have the M-100 and the XS incoming and I always consider the M-100 the most complete package headphone out there (Durability, Build Quality, etc.), however I just cannot understand why the speak easy cable doesn't have a three button set up, like they use to include with the old M80.  Love the M100 and likewise I'm sure I'll love the XS, however it is annoying having to pull your iPhone out every now and again to adjust volume.

 

Can anyone recommend a remote cable compatible with the XS / M100? I can't find the old remote cable on V-Moda anymore.

Beats and B&O H6 iDevice cables fit the M-100 and XS. If you can find an Apple Store you can plug them into your headphones to see if the control the display iPods/iPhones/iPads.

post #308 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesonofkrypton View Post
 

I have the M-100 and the XS incoming and I always consider the M-100 the most complete package headphone out there (Durability, Build Quality, etc.), however I just cannot understand why the speak easy cable doesn't have a three button set up, like they use to include with the old M80.  Love the M100 and likewise I'm sure I'll love the XS, however it is annoying having to pull your iPhone out every now and again to adjust volume.

 

Can anyone recommend a remote cable compatible with the XS / M100? I can't find the old remote cable on V-Moda anymore.

I ordered a "verified like new" crossfade LP from V-moda's website, originally planning  to swap out the ear pad/driver housing on my M-100's due to liking the gunmetal finish on those rather than the matte black. (found this wouldn't fly due to the drivers being glued into the supports) 

 

The LP's came with the three button IOS remote cable you're looking for, which was an added bonus. I gave the LP's to my son for his birthday, but kept the IOS cable lol. 

 

Vmoda sells the verified like new LP's for $101, here:

 

http://v-moda.com/verified-crossfade-lp/

post #309 of 811

thanks chaps.  

 

i will see what this sound check thing is on the iphone.  yeah i have a lot of mixed music, some is old motown stuff and when you jump from something modern then to an old recording sometimes you need to adjust it or if i'm sitting next to someone on the bus who decides to have a conversation on their phone on speakerphone etc, i crank it up.

 

Searched for a H6 cable but couldn't find any.  $101 for the LP just for the cable is a bit steep for me :p will just have to hope Val has one coming (hopefully in a choice of fruity colours!).

post #310 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Jacket Mike View Post
 

Reviews for these are all over the map as far as the bass goes; they range from 'no bass' to 'less bass than the M100' to more mid bass and less sub bass' to 'the bass is dependent on adjusting the fit and seal.'

 

Mine will arrive on Tuesday, so I guess I'll find out then.  I have the M100, which, depending on the recording, has either plenty of bass, or a bit too much.  

 

Volume control from a cable will not be an issue, since I am using the Vamp Verza, so I have to use its volume knob.  Once I have the music playing, however, I rarely need to adjust anything.

 

I'm looking forward to 'closing the gap' and trying these out.  My girlfriend says I look silly out walking with the M100s on, due to the headband sticking out at the sides of my head, so the XS should at least solve that problem.

 

As with most, if not all, on/over ear headphones, positioning on the ear will make things sound different.  If the XS/M-80 are placed more forward on the ear, you'll get a little more bass than if you rest them towards the back of your ears...  I actually don't get a huge gap with my M-100s when I'm wearing them.  They don't lay as flat as the XS though. 

post #311 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post


Yup sound check it should be in the settings on ur apple device or in itunes

In some cases, enabling sound check can be detrimental to the sound quality.  There is software available called iVolume which does a better job of leveling and balancing the volume from one track to the next.  You can run it on your entire iTunes library, and then sync with your iPhone, etc., to copy the changed volume info for each track.  After that, you would only need to run it when you add new music to your library.

 

iVolume is available here, and also on the App Store.  It costs $29.95 US.

post #312 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Jacket Mike View Post
 

Sorry-maybe I should have said 'pieces' of information, rather than 'bits'.  I didn't mean audio 'bits'.  I understand that the audio information in the file is not affected.  But nonetheless, using sound check can detrimentally affect the sound on certain tracks, and I wouldn't use it.  

 

I use iTunes in a system with an external DAC and amp, and I make sure that the iTunes volume control is maxed, and that features like crossfade and sound check are turned off.  I also keep the DAC volume fixed, and adjust volume only at the amp.

 

I'm not exactly sure how iVolume does what it does, but for portable listening via my iPhone, it seems to level everything out in a much better way; I still hear the dynamic range in tracks that have it, and I don't hear the compression and distortion that sound check introduces.

 

I'll tell you how iVolume works:

 

Quote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IVolume
 iVolume is an application for Mac OS X and Windows that implements ReplayGain for iTunes by updating the metadata that iTunes uses for Sound Check volume normalization.

 

Look familiar?  It alters the EXACT SAME THING.  You can't say one is detrimental and one is not if they alter the same part of the file. 

 

iVolume will get a different value for the volume normalization as it uses ReplayGain to calculate it (instead of iTunes), but it's just a number.  That number is how much to lower the volume by. I'd believe that iVolume may get better volume matching, but the quality of recording is not touched with Sound Check as they both alter the same part of the file.

 

So I repeat:

  • Volume check does NOT compress at all
  • Volume check does NOT distort the music
  • Volume check does NOT get rid of the dynamic range, it simply lowers the volume.  If you want the dynamic range back, up the volume a little as iVolume probably returns a number that will lower the volume less than that of Sound Check. 

 

What Sound Check and iVolume do is calculate the "volume" of your songs and then set them up so they output at the same volume level.  They both go at it by altering the normalization information and that's it. The processor that applies the normalization is the SAME (it's iTunes that will do the normalization in both cases, the number it normalizes by is determined by different algorithms though from iVolume and Sound Check).


Edited by tinyman392 - 4/6/14 at 4:24pm
post #313 of 811
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Jacket Mike View Post

Reviews for these are all over the map as far as the bass goes; they range from 'no bass' to 'less bass than the M100' to more mid bass and less sub bass' to 'the bass is dependent on adjusting the fit and seal.'

Mine will arrive on Tuesday, so I guess I'll find out then.  I have the M100, which, depending on the recording, has either plenty of bass, or a bit too much.  

Volume control from a cable will not be an issue, since I am using the Vamp Verza, so I have to use its volume knob.  Once I have the music playing, however, I rarely need to adjust anything.

I'm looking forward to 'closing the gap' and trying these out.  My girlfriend says I look silly out walking with the M100s on, due to the headband sticking out at the sides of my head, so the XS should at least solve that problem.
I really need to know - does the Verza make everything sound better?
post #314 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Existence View Post


I really need to know - does the Verza make everything sound better?

 

The Verza is a warmer sound in contrast to the iDevices.  The only main downfall is that it has 10 ohms output impedance so it may not be the best for low impedance phones. 

post #315 of 811
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existence View Post

I really need to know - does the Verza make everything sound better?

The Verza is a warmer sound in contrast to the iDevices.  The only main downfall is that it has 10 ohms output impedance so it may not be the best for low impedance phones. 
I was really talking about V-Moda headphones.
How does it sound with the m100 or XS?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion, Questions] #FirstthreadtocoverXS