or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Over-ear headphones (<$200)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Over-ear headphones (<$200)

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Hi, I'm new to these audio stuffs, and I'm looking for a "starting" pair of headphones.

 

Budget: under $200

Source: laptop and Android Phone (GNexus)

Music: mostly post metal, post rock (but also IDM, prog metal, ambient, breakcore..)

 

I'm mainly interested in isolation and I like a "smooth" sound, but I'm also looking for comfort for long-period listenings..  I hate sound leaks, I think nothing should be heard outside the headphones.

 

I see that here are massively suggested Audio Technica ATH-M50s, but I've found old threads, and I don't know if now are the most competitive ones.

What do you think about Yamaha HPH-PRO400 ? I'm in love with that design and I would find them at about the same price of the M50s, but I'm a bit scared about the comfort and sound leaks. Are these this better than m50s in sound quality?

Here in Italy we don't have your llarge selection, so please don't suggest me some unknown brands. Thanks. :)


Edited by Clairvoyant - 12/13/13 at 6:02am
post #2 of 8

Sennheiser HD 380

post #3 of 8

I'm in a similar boat as the OP except that I've purchased the M50s. I also purchased the Sennheiser HD 598s because they were on sale at fry's just so I can compare.

 

I've learned that while I really enjoy the sound signature of the 598s, I cannot stand open back because I can hear everything going on outside.

 

The M50s are warming up to me. I thought the mids and highs were a bit muddy because of the bass, but it may just take a bit time to get used to the sound signature. I really want the clarity of the 598, with the bass of the M50s (a bit less would not be a bad thing, I am not a bass-head).

 

Sound isolation is BIG here as well. Comfort wise, are the 380 Pros more comfortable and less clamping than the 280 Pro? I've also heard that the headband breaks easily on the 280.

 

Anyways, looking forward to what others have to say!

post #4 of 8
No offense but there are like a billion threads like this here. You're only going to get regurgitated opinions.
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

No offense but there are like a billion threads like this here. You're only going to get regurgitated opinions.

 

That introduction forum works that way, I want some "regurgitated opinions". Anyone can find a nice pair of headphones, reading reviews and old threads.. But this is a more "direct" way, useful for a novice


Edited by Clairvoyant - 12/13/13 at 10:04am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
 

I'm in a similar boat as the OP except that I've purchased the M50s. I also purchased the Sennheiser HD 598s because they were on sale at fry's just so I can compare.

 

I've learned that while I really enjoy the sound signature of the 598s, I cannot stand open back because I can hear everything going on outside.

 

The M50s are warming up to me. I thought the mids and highs were a bit muddy because of the bass, but it may just take a bit time to get used to the sound signature. I really want the clarity of the 598, with the bass of the M50s (a bit less would not be a bad thing, I am not a bass-head).

 

Sound isolation is BIG here as well. Comfort wise, are the 380 Pros more comfortable and less clamping than the 280 Pro? I've also heard that the headband breaks easily on the 280.

 

Anyways, looking forward to what others have to say!

The HD 280 Pros are ABSOLUTELY more clampy than the HD 380 Pro's. I've owned both for years, I found the 280's unbearable, but my 380's are my go to portable closed can.

post #7 of 8
How would you say the 380s compare to the m50s?
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post

How would you say the 380s compare to the m50s?
I only listened to a pair of M50's once, and it was in a really loud environment, so I don't have enough knowledge to compare them.

However, one thing I really like about the HD380's is that they fold flat, making them nice for going on a trip or to work (back when I worked in a library).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Over-ear headphones (<$200)