Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Does Dolby Headphone virtualize 7.1 or 5.1 ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does Dolby Headphone virtualize 7.1 or 5.1 ?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Let's say that a game outputs 7.1 channels, can we use dolby Headphone to virtualize 7.1 ? 

 

 

I read everywhere that Dolby Headphone creates the illusion of a room where you are in the centre and there are 5 speakers around you... which means it only virtualizes 5.1 to 5.1 ? and i guess it virtualizes 7.1 to 5.1 ? but not 7.1 to 7.1 ?


Edited by Sam21 - 12/12/13 at 1:58pm
post #2 of 11

Can virtualize both 5.1 and 7.1. It works well for gaming and movies. Not for music, though.

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

Can virtualize both 5.1 and 7.1. It works well for gaming and movies. Not for music, though.

thank you for your reply, but can you confirm these two sentences....?

 

when the source is 5.1 , dolby Headphone takes 5.1 signals and turns them into virtual 5.1(the sensation that 5 Speakers are around you) which is 2 channels and can be heard through any pair of stereo Headphones.

 

when the source is 7.1 , dolby Headphone takes 7.1 signals and turns them into virtual 7.1(the sensation that 7 Speakers are around you) which is 2 channels and can be heard through any pair of stereo Headphones.


Edited by Sam21 - 12/14/13 at 4:41pm
post #4 of 11
Confirmed :-)
How good you find the effect to work is individual, though
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Confirmed :-)
How good you find the effect to work is individual, though

But why is that when you want to choose DH modes like DH1 DH2 or DH3, the picture for each mode only shows 5 speakers ? even if the source is 7.1 ?

 

and also, according to Dolby's website : 

 

"

Dolby® Headphone is a revolutionary signal processing technology that delivers up to 7.1-channel surround sound over any pair of headphones for richer, more spacious headphone audio.

Dolby Headphone accurately creates the sensation of up to five loudspeakers in a room by using powerful digital signal processing (DSP) technology. The result is a more vibrant and natural listening experience"

 

It says that it creates the sensation of 5 speakers even if it is virtual 7.1? ... Kinda confused....


Edited by Sam21 - 12/15/13 at 2:18pm
post #6 of 11
Not sure whether Dolby actually sounds better/different as 7.1 vs 5.1, though I'd suppose. Does it even matter?
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Not sure whether Dolby actually sounds better/different as 7.1 vs 5.1, though I'd suppose. Does it even matter?

Well, I don't know about virtual 7.1 vs virtual 5.1 but real 7.1 vs real 5.1 makes a lot of difference.

post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam21 View Post
 

thank you for your reply, but can you confirm these two sentences....?

 

when the source is 5.1 , dolby Headphone takes 5.1 signals and turns them into virtual 5.1(the sensation that 5 Speakers are around you) which is 2 channels and can be heard through any pair of stereo Headphones.

 

when the source is 7.1 , dolby Headphone takes 7.1 signals and turns them into virtual 7.1(the sensation that 7 Speakers are around you) which is 2 channels and can be heard through any pair of stereo Headphones.

This is correct.

 

what dolby headphone does is, if it receives a digital 5.1 or 7.1 audio signal, it processes the sound to match the directional cues of each channel. 

 

It works for music too, if the music is 5.1 (yes those exist).

post #9 of 11
Yeah, I have dsotm in 5.1 now that you mention it. Will try that later.
If OP really wants to dig further in this he should pm namelessPFG
post #10 of 11

Remember to chose the right settings. If you Game has a 7.1 output, you need 8 Channels. So the Soundcard knows to take 8 Channels (7.1), and convert them into stereo via Dolbi Headphone.

If you use 5.1, then change to 8 Channels, and also turn Dolbi Headphone on.

 

If you have a Stereo Output ("Stereo/Headphone" in Games, or Musik), turn Dolbi Headphone off, because it wont work.

 

Dolbi Headphone is a HRTF technology, which converts a Surround Channel Audio into Stereo (for headphones/headsets), while keeping the directions of the sounds.

 

(just saying, because i saw alot using Dolbi Headphone in Stereo Mode, which doesnt improve the surround)

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 

I guess I should contact Dolby about the 5 Speakers thingy....it still doesn't make sense, on their site it says that it can create up to 7.1 virtual surround, yet in the same article it says it creates the sensation of 5 speakers...kinda contradictory...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Does Dolby Headphone virtualize 7.1 or 5.1 ?