Looking into buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s for listening to music. They've got glowing reviews, but I have a few questions.
Also it should be noted that I listen to rock and electronica (mostly trance).
1. Is the bass better with an amp?
2. What is this crackling issue that I've heard about?
3. How much of an improvement are they over my current pair, the Audio Technica ATH M50?
4. Can you change the cord? 10ft/3m is too long for me, something like 4.5 ft (1.5m) is better. What size cord does it accept?
5. How much noise does it "bleed" out? I know it's open backed, and I've got earbuds for public listening so as not to disturb others, but if it's basically a pair of speakers you mount on your head... no. As a point of reference, the set I use for games/editing are Astro A40s, which are open-backed, but you can't hear them outside of about 6ft(2m or so), which I find acceptable.