I asked this question under another thread, and got no reply. Let me put it another way. Would 5db difference in HP sensitivity make a noticeable difference ? Or do I have to go , let's say 10 db, or more and that's to be used with a portable player. My 91db headphones don't sound great with my player, and I don't want external portable amps, so switching to 96 db will it make a big difference, or do I need to go higher than 100 db ? This way I'll know which range I'm supposed to be looking for.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones, going from 91db to 96 db, would it make a noticeable difference with a DAP ? Last post on 12/4/13 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Denon AH-D7000 , Fostex TH900, Senn HD800, or Audeze LCD 2 or 3 for gaming? Last post on 10/11/14 at 11:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade Ideas from Denon AH-D7000 Last post on 11/5/13 at 3:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 6/29/15
Increasing HP sensitivity about 5db, does it make a real diference ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Ok, I have a DX100 DAP and my LCD-3 don't sound great on that ( far from my home setup with dedicated amp, etc...) they sound thin. They have a 91db sensitivity, and here's my question: if I went with headphones around 95 or 96 db, will that make a difference , like big improvement? I heard some AH-D7000 which have 106DB I guess, and they were so easy to drive with the DX100. So does 5db increase in sensitivity make a noticeable difference in sound level ? Or better go an extra 10db ?Thanks
Edited by squallkiercosa - 12/12/13 at 5:51am
Actually I'm not looking to see which amps work with the LCD-3. My son has a HIFI-M8 that I can borrow, and it works fine. But I don't want an extra amp, so I'm looking for other more sensitive headphones to use with the DX100, and keep the LCD-3 for home use . I think I'll go by kraken2109 advice and look for something in the 100db or more range., as 95 or 96 might not do it for me.
Edited by squallkiercosa - 12/12/13 at 10:04am
My son has the LCD-2 with his Hifi-M8, and they're fine with that unit, but only on the highest gain setting. I , like you, prefer more sensitive HP than going highest gain. When I play the LCD-2 on my home amp BHA-1, I use same volume setting as for the LCD-3, the difference I think is only 1db in sensitivity, and I can't feel it. I never bothered to try the LCD-2 on the DX100, since the LCD-3 were not very convincing on that to start with.
Well, just tried the LCD-2 with the DX100 and same thing, at medium gain, volume maxed, it 's OK, but not great. Actually there's more quality lost with the LCD-2 than the LCD-3 ( compared to a home amp ). Yes I can live with that, but both headphones don't sound alive like with a home amp ( which is to be expected I guess). I'm not blaming the DX100 at all, low sensitivity HP require more power, and if I don't want an external amp, I'll have to get more sensitive HP. My son's HIFI-M8, coupled with his Ipod Touch, sounded much better with the LCD-2, and the source was 16/44, and not Hi Rez in both cases. So my end observation, since I don't plan to add an amp, I'll be going with HP in the 100db range as I like the DX100 a lot, and that will give it justice.
Edited by zeiter - 12/13/13 at 6:13am
- Increasing HP sensitivity about 5db, does it make a real diference ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Vintage Flex Fountain Pens BUY 1 GET 1 FREE 39 seconds ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 41 seconds ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › How many of you have tinnitus? 3 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 4 minutes ago
- › Destiny 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T1 90th Anniversary 5 minutes ago
- › Been a lurker for a while... 10 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 10 minutes ago
- › TCG Audio TRD3+ Desktop HeadAmp & 32/384DAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by FYLegend
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › RHA T20 by nmatheis
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Pokemonn
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › Westone W50 Five Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones, 78505 by twister6
- › MrSpeakers Ether Planar Magnetic Headphones by Currawong
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)