I asked this question under another thread, and got no reply. Let me put it another way. Would 5db difference in HP sensitivity make a noticeable difference ? Or do I have to go , let's say 10 db, or more and that's to be used with a portable player. My 91db headphones don't sound great with my player, and I don't want external portable amps, so switching to 96 db will it make a big difference, or do I need to go higher than 100 db ? This way I'll know which range I'm supposed to be looking for.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones, going from 91db to 96 db, would it make a noticeable difference with a DAP ? Last post on 12/4/13 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Denon AH-D7000 , Fostex TH900, Senn HD800, or Audeze LCD 2 or 3 for gaming? Last post on 10/11/14 at 11:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade Ideas from Denon AH-D7000 Last post on 11/5/13 at 3:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
Disclaimer I got this unit as part of Australasian tour arranged by Brooko, thank you very much for including me in this tour. Introduction I am just another music fans in this world, I...
First and foremost, I have experience with several different headphones, namely much of the Ultrasone series (Pro 900, Pro 750), Denon D2000, D5000, and Fostex TH600. I mainly deal with closed back...
The housing has a rounder shape then the vsd3/5 and i much prefer it this way. While the shape and looks is simple, it does not feel very cheap. The diamond cut shape on the vsd3/5 seems a little...
This review is for Master & Dynamic MH30 over the ear. My name is Adam I am a 38 years old headphone and iem collector. I don't consider myself an audiophile but have been into music and audio...
This little player can take a beating. I am not careful with this device and I've dropped it many times on all types of surfaces and it keeps going. I have had my player for nearly 3 years now and...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Increasing HP sensitivity about 5db, does it make a real diference ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Ok, I have a DX100 DAP and my LCD-3 don't sound great on that ( far from my home setup with dedicated amp, etc...) they sound thin. They have a 91db sensitivity, and here's my question: if I went with headphones around 95 or 96 db, will that make a difference , like big improvement? I heard some AH-D7000 which have 106DB I guess, and they were so easy to drive with the DX100. So does 5db increase in sensitivity make a noticeable difference in sound level ? Or better go an extra 10db ?Thanks
Edited by squallkiercosa - 12/12/13 at 5:51am
Actually I'm not looking to see which amps work with the LCD-3. My son has a HIFI-M8 that I can borrow, and it works fine. But I don't want an extra amp, so I'm looking for other more sensitive headphones to use with the DX100, and keep the LCD-3 for home use . I think I'll go by kraken2109 advice and look for something in the 100db or more range., as 95 or 96 might not do it for me.
Edited by squallkiercosa - 12/12/13 at 10:04am
My son has the LCD-2 with his Hifi-M8, and they're fine with that unit, but only on the highest gain setting. I , like you, prefer more sensitive HP than going highest gain. When I play the LCD-2 on my home amp BHA-1, I use same volume setting as for the LCD-3, the difference I think is only 1db in sensitivity, and I can't feel it. I never bothered to try the LCD-2 on the DX100, since the LCD-3 were not very convincing on that to start with.
Well, just tried the LCD-2 with the DX100 and same thing, at medium gain, volume maxed, it 's OK, but not great. Actually there's more quality lost with the LCD-2 than the LCD-3 ( compared to a home amp ). Yes I can live with that, but both headphones don't sound alive like with a home amp ( which is to be expected I guess). I'm not blaming the DX100 at all, low sensitivity HP require more power, and if I don't want an external amp, I'll have to get more sensitive HP. My son's HIFI-M8, coupled with his Ipod Touch, sounded much better with the LCD-2, and the source was 16/44, and not Hi Rez in both cases. So my end observation, since I don't plan to add an amp, I'll be going with HP in the 100db range as I like the DX100 a lot, and that will give it justice.
Edited by zeiter - 12/13/13 at 6:13am
- Increasing HP sensitivity about 5db, does it make a real diference ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120 2 minutes ago
- › DIY Headphones and Driver Options. Any Suggestions? 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 25th, 2015) 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread 7 minutes ago
- › hfb - Bounce House - chat aka shtpost central 8 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 9 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 10 minutes ago
- › Vsonic VSD2 / VSD2S and AN16 Impressions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 12 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by daduy
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by sarora
- › VSONIC VSD 2S by Arvan
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by acain
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by kite7
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by weirdek
- › Chord Hugo by FortisFlyer75
- › Technics RP-DH1200 DJ Headphones by Johannus
- › Bravo Audio S1 Class A Deluxe Headphone Amplifier with Op-amp by YoYo JoKeR
- › MEElectronics A151P Gen.2 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by YoYo JoKeR
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2