I asked this question under another thread, and got no reply. Let me put it another way. Would 5db difference in HP sensitivity make a noticeable difference ? Or do I have to go , let's say 10 db, or more and that's to be used with a portable player. My 91db headphones don't sound great with my player, and I don't want external portable amps, so switching to 96 db will it make a big difference, or do I need to go higher than 100 db ? This way I'll know which range I'm supposed to be looking for.
Related Forum Threads
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Yesterday at 8:54 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones, going from 91db to 96 db, would it make a noticeable difference with a DAP ? Last post on 12/4/13 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon AH-D7000 , Fostex TH900, Senn HD800, or Audeze LCD 2 or 3 for gaming? Last post on 10/11/14 at 11:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade Ideas from Denon AH-D7000 Last post on 11/5/13 at 3:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
These have been part of my set-up for about 2 months. The set-up has consisted mainly of: Phonitor 2 fed by a Mdac or Dacmagic (Main Rig) Portable use saw it used with a NuForce Udac Gaming...
Experience with Customer Service In case you want to see a video review, search youtube for "Jaybird Real time Review" and my video should be first on the list. I'm going to start by saying...
Just bought it over two months ago. It really added another dimension to the sound of music played in my macbook (since I used to listen to my itunes using the headphone jack) I notice details in...
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Scott Byrer, Director of Marketing at Master & Dynamic for...
Package & Build: FiiO X3 comes in a nice box with adapter and micro USB cable, as well as a nice soft silicone sleeve to protect the player. It is built very nicely, has some retro touch to it...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Increasing HP sensitivity about 5db, does it make a real diference ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Ok, I have a DX100 DAP and my LCD-3 don't sound great on that ( far from my home setup with dedicated amp, etc...) they sound thin. They have a 91db sensitivity, and here's my question: if I went with headphones around 95 or 96 db, will that make a difference , like big improvement? I heard some AH-D7000 which have 106DB I guess, and they were so easy to drive with the DX100. So does 5db increase in sensitivity make a noticeable difference in sound level ? Or better go an extra 10db ?Thanks
Edited by squallkiercosa - 12/12/13 at 5:51am
Actually I'm not looking to see which amps work with the LCD-3. My son has a HIFI-M8 that I can borrow, and it works fine. But I don't want an extra amp, so I'm looking for other more sensitive headphones to use with the DX100, and keep the LCD-3 for home use . I think I'll go by kraken2109 advice and look for something in the 100db or more range., as 95 or 96 might not do it for me.
Edited by squallkiercosa - 12/12/13 at 10:04am
My son has the LCD-2 with his Hifi-M8, and they're fine with that unit, but only on the highest gain setting. I , like you, prefer more sensitive HP than going highest gain. When I play the LCD-2 on my home amp BHA-1, I use same volume setting as for the LCD-3, the difference I think is only 1db in sensitivity, and I can't feel it. I never bothered to try the LCD-2 on the DX100, since the LCD-3 were not very convincing on that to start with.
Well, just tried the LCD-2 with the DX100 and same thing, at medium gain, volume maxed, it 's OK, but not great. Actually there's more quality lost with the LCD-2 than the LCD-3 ( compared to a home amp ). Yes I can live with that, but both headphones don't sound alive like with a home amp ( which is to be expected I guess). I'm not blaming the DX100 at all, low sensitivity HP require more power, and if I don't want an external amp, I'll have to get more sensitive HP. My son's HIFI-M8, coupled with his Ipod Touch, sounded much better with the LCD-2, and the source was 16/44, and not Hi Rez in both cases. So my end observation, since I don't plan to add an amp, I'll be going with HP in the 100db range as I like the DX100 a lot, and that will give it justice.
Edited by zeiter - 12/13/13 at 6:13am
- Increasing HP sensitivity about 5db, does it make a real diference ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise 3 seconds ago
- › V-Moda LP2 or V-Moda M-100? 1 minute ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 1 minute ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 2 minutes ago
- › Questyle QP1 4 minutes ago
- › Hidizs AP100 (DAP) Support Team - Now on Head-fi! 4 minutes ago
- › Zero Audio ZH-DWX10 DUOZA dual dynamic driver iem 4 minutes ago
- › Any Aphex Twin fans around? 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 5 minutes ago
- › Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB! 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by CJ09
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by ActiveTechREV
- › Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC by lalojimenez
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by thatBeatsguy
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by Tail
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Airwin
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by Rogerlabarrie
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by conquerator2
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3