I asked this question under another thread, and got no reply. Let me put it another way. Would 5db difference in HP sensitivity make a noticeable difference ? Or do I have to go , let's say 10 db, or more and that's to be used with a portable player. My 91db headphones don't sound great with my player, and I don't want external portable amps, so switching to 96 db will it make a big difference, or do I need to go higher than 100 db ? This way I'll know which range I'm supposed to be looking for.
Related Forum Threads
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 11:07 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones, going from 91db to 96 db, would it make a noticeable difference with a DAP ? Last post on 12/4/13 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon AH-D7000 , Fostex TH900, Senn HD800, or Audeze LCD 2 or 3 for gaming? Last post on 4/10/13 at 12:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade Ideas from Denon AH-D7000 Last post on 11/5/13 at 3:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Disclaimer: I was sent a sample of the Brainwavz S5 for review. This will not affect my opinion of these IEMs in any way. You can also find this review(with pictures) on my own blog...
Switching from desktop audio system to the dap system is a painful experience if you have a seriously monitoring taste for any music and get used to top-notch headphones system like hd800+ ecba...
Presentation That's a lovely box it comes in. I'm not being snarky at all; it really is nice. Totally for presentation though, not for transport/portability. Construction The...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images The formula above in the title simply refers to Sound Quality + Build Quality + Perceived Value. ...
So I've had this thing for a bit now... first one to ship into the wild and arrive at its home. I'd say I'm pretty confident I know what this thing sounds like. The interface is classic...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Increasing HP sensitivity about 5db, does it make a real diference ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Ok, I have a DX100 DAP and my LCD-3 don't sound great on that ( far from my home setup with dedicated amp, etc...) they sound thin. They have a 91db sensitivity, and here's my question: if I went with headphones around 95 or 96 db, will that make a difference , like big improvement? I heard some AH-D7000 which have 106DB I guess, and they were so easy to drive with the DX100. So does 5db increase in sensitivity make a noticeable difference in sound level ? Or better go an extra 10db ?Thanks
Edited by squallkiercosa - 12/12/13 at 5:51am
Actually I'm not looking to see which amps work with the LCD-3. My son has a HIFI-M8 that I can borrow, and it works fine. But I don't want an extra amp, so I'm looking for other more sensitive headphones to use with the DX100, and keep the LCD-3 for home use . I think I'll go by kraken2109 advice and look for something in the 100db or more range., as 95 or 96 might not do it for me.
Edited by squallkiercosa - 12/12/13 at 10:04am
My son has the LCD-2 with his Hifi-M8, and they're fine with that unit, but only on the highest gain setting. I , like you, prefer more sensitive HP than going highest gain. When I play the LCD-2 on my home amp BHA-1, I use same volume setting as for the LCD-3, the difference I think is only 1db in sensitivity, and I can't feel it. I never bothered to try the LCD-2 on the DX100, since the LCD-3 were not very convincing on that to start with.
Well, just tried the LCD-2 with the DX100 and same thing, at medium gain, volume maxed, it 's OK, but not great. Actually there's more quality lost with the LCD-2 than the LCD-3 ( compared to a home amp ). Yes I can live with that, but both headphones don't sound alive like with a home amp ( which is to be expected I guess). I'm not blaming the DX100 at all, low sensitivity HP require more power, and if I don't want an external amp, I'll have to get more sensitive HP. My son's HIFI-M8, coupled with his Ipod Touch, sounded much better with the LCD-2, and the source was 16/44, and not Hi Rez in both cases. So my end observation, since I don't plan to add an amp, I'll be going with HP in the 100db range as I like the DX100 a lot, and that will give it justice.
Edited by zeiter - 12/13/13 at 6:13am
- Increasing HP sensitivity about 5db, does it make a real diference ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Schiit Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced - updated with... 5 minutes ago
- › Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer 5 minutes ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 6 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Audioquest Columbia 72V DBS XLR Interconnects 1 meter. FREE Shipping! 8 minutes ago
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)