or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for headphones for metal music; my budget is $0 - 300
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for headphones for metal music; my budget is $0 - 300 - Page 4

post #46 of 60

Haha I hear what you're saying, I guess I'm just weird like that. I like Autechre and weird digital noises. If you're gonna use DSLR on a guy with acne, you've got to appreciate the acne for what it is. That's actually a great analogy, because I watch videos of zits being popped sometimes :tongue:

TL;DR I'm a a weirdo

post #47 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbear View Post
 

Haha I hear what you're saying, I guess I'm just weird like that. I like Autechre and weird digital noises. If you're gonna use DSLR on a guy with acne, you've got to appreciate the acne for what it is. That's actually a great analogy, because I watch videos of zits being popped sometimes :tongue:

TL;DR I'm a a weirdo

 

*vomit!!!!!* lol

 

you should tell your wife, your philosophical thoughts. i'm sure she'll appreciate it ;)

post #48 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

 

*vomit!!!!!* lol

 

you should tell your wife, your philosophical thoughts. i'm sure she'll appreciate it ;)

lmao, so people talk about their fetishes on head-fi, interesting. 

 

In any case, what grade headphone would you call the hifi man he-400? I mean its decently priced, but isn't it still sort of high end comparing what most people use to listen to music? 

 

Also, is cd quality equivalent to flac/ape? 


Edited by Danieru - 12/24/13 at 10:35pm
post #49 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danieru View Post
 

lmao, so people talk about their fetishes on head-fi, interesting. 

 

In any case, what grade headphone would you call the hifi man he-400? I mean its decently priced, but isn't it still sort of high end comparing what most people use to listen to music? 

personal opinion disclaimer: I personally don't think you can get a better pair of headphones at the $300-400 price range if you don't need portability/closed. it would be in the same class as the sennheiser hd600/hd650. i personally thought the he400 performs better than the akg k701. can easily compete with headphones in the $400 to sub-$1000 price range if grading from a performance:price perspective. once you get over $1000, I don't think price is really a concern for you anymore lol.

 

I am not aware of a grading scale, but I believe it would be classified as an entry-level hi-fi pair of headphones (better than the expensive-end mid-fi headphones such as the $400 p7 - personal experience based on demo)


Edited by money4me247 - 12/24/13 at 10:37pm
post #50 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

personal opinion disclaimer: I personally don't think you can get a better pair of headphones at the $300-400 price range if you don't need portability/closed. it would be in the same class as the sennheiser hd600/hd650. i personally thought the he400 performs better than the akg k701. can easily compete with headphones in the $400 to sub-$1000 price range if grading from a performance:price perspective. once you get over $1000, I don't think price is really a concern for you anymore lol.

 

I am not aware of a grading scale, but I believe it would be classified as an entry-level hi-fi pair of headphones (better than the expensive-end mid-fi headphones such as the $400 p7 - personal experience based on demo)

Cool, so the he-400 is a good pair of headphones to start me off on my hi-fi journey? lol

 

Though if I had the money those Audeze look real nice. 

 

So what is the p7? 

post #51 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danieru View Post
 

Cool, so the he-400 is a good pair of headphones to start me off on my hi-fi journey? lol. Though if I had the money those Audeze look real nice. So what is the p7? 

b&w p7 - closed/portable over ear at the $400 price point.

 

planar magnetics are just really sickkk imo hahah

post #52 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danieru View Post
 

In any case, what grade headphone would you call the hifiman he-400? I mean its decently priced, but isn't it still sort of high end comparing what most people use to listen to music? 

 

HE400 is the newest member of a longstanding and much argued about set of very good mid-priced open models that includes K70x, DT880, and HD6x0. *Trumpets to officially welcome HE400!* (Originally, it was K501, DT880-250, and HD580/600.)

 

I am not persuaded that most of the more expensive headphones are better than very good, and I consider most of them to be very good high-priced open models.

 

And you're right, most people don't use very good headphones. But sometimes a good headphone is enough.

post #53 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

HE400 is the newest member of a longstanding and much argued about set of very good mid-priced open models that includes K70x, DT880, and HD6x0. *Trumpets to officially welcome HE400!* (Originally, it was K501, DT880-250, and HD580/600.)

 

I am not persuaded that most of the more expensive headphones are better than very good, and I consider most of them to be very good high-priced open models.

 

And you're right, most people don't use very good headphones. But sometimes a good headphone is enough.

lol at $400, I imagine they are actually considered LOW-priced open models in the audiophile marketplace that goes up to $1,500+ to 2k+. The HE-500, Fostex TH600, HD700 would be like the mid-priced models over-$400 but sub-$1000. The Audeze, HD800, HE-6, TH900, etc are the high-end luxury models.

 

good summary tho. the akg k0x & beyer dt-xxx (880/990) are definitely currently cheaper open options at the $200-300 price range.

 

yea, mostly price does not correlate to performance directly. the $400 he400 easily beats the $400 p7 in terms of performance, and the HE500 does not sound twice as good as the HE400s even though the price tag is almost twice as much. I don't think that the HE400 is twice as good as the akg k701, but i personally found the he400 to perform much better for my tastes. you can easily find stellar headphones at $100-300 price tag, just depends what you are looking for. note: i got my he400s at $300, so i can't complain. they definitely punch above their weight class tho

post #54 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

the HE500 does not sound twice as good as the HE400s even though the price tag is almost twice as much. I don't think that the HE400 is twice as good as the akg k701, but i personally found the he400 to perform much better for my tastes.

 

I enjoyed HE400 a lot more than HE500 and HE6 (and they were powered well).

 

Do you think your preference for HE400 over K701 is influenced by your preferred genres? My preference for K702 is limited to classical orchestra; I prefer HE400 for jazz. For different subgenres of classical, I prefer others.

post #55 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

I enjoyed HE400 a lot more than HE500 and HE6 (and they were powered well). Do you think your preference for HE400 over K701 is influenced by your preferred genres? My preference for K702 is limited to classical orchestra; I prefer HE400 for jazz. For different subgenres of classical, I prefer others.

mmm yea, genre preference definitely influence what kinds of headphones you'll find enjoyable. i'm not as sophisticated as you & i don't really ever listen to classical or jazz. i can totally see the k701 really shining with orchestra music. i'm a edm/hip hop/pop/rock/alternative kinda guy. while i appreciated the bass quality (nice detail & texture) of the k701, it really just didn't punch hard enough for my music. the he-400 has amazingly detailed bass with great extension & a solid kick to it! i really did love akg's treble, clarity, & sound stage tho. it's been a while since i've heard em, so i'm not sure who wld win that fight, but i found the he-400 to have great sound stage & i prefer the he400's sound signature.

post #56 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danieru View Post
 

lmao, so people talk about their fetishes on head-fi, interesting. 

 

In any case, what grade headphone would you call the hifi man he-400? I mean its decently priced, but isn't it still sort of high end comparing what most people use to listen to music? 

 

Also, is cd quality equivalent to flac/ape? 


LOL, sorry for the derailment...

I don't quite see the point of classifying the HE-400. It's a very good headphone, and although it's new, it's establishing itself as one of the best open headphones in its price range. There is no single best headphone or rigid classification though. At this level, it depends on your personal tastes and on what types of music you listen to. The HE-400 is very high-end compared to what most people use, at least most people outside of head-fi. That's why we like it. If it's beyond your budget though, you can certainly find excellent headphones that will make you happy for less money. 

CD quality is equivalent to flac. Flac is compressed, so it has smaller file sizes, but it's a lossless compression. I haven't heard of ape before. 

Since people are talking about the AKG 70x series, I will weigh in briefly. I owned the Q701 before the HE-400. I listen mostly to electronic music, and the HE-400's strengths are just great for electronic music. That bass and imaging. The Q701 had a different set of strengths that are better suited for other genres IMO. Both HE-400 and Q701 have things they do better than the others, so it's hard to say if one is better than the other. For metal, which I used to listen to a lot but not as often now, I like the HE-400 a lot more. Partially because of the more punchy bass, but also because the HE-400 gives guitars a visceral sense of crunch and texture and aggression that the Q701 can't do. The Q701 also has a large, somewhat distant soundstage that prevents metal from sounding as "in your face" as it should be IMO. 

 

post #57 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbear View Post
 

Since people are talking about the AKG 70x series, I will weigh in briefly. I owned the Q701 before the HE-400. I listen mostly to electronic music, and the HE-400's strengths are just great for electronic music. That bass and imaging. The Q701 had a different set of strengths that are better suited for other genres IMO. Both HE-400 and Q701 have things they do better than the others, so it's hard to say if one is better than the other. For metal, which I used to listen to a lot but not as often now, I like the HE-400 a lot more. Partially because of the more punchy bass, but also because the HE-400 gives guitars a visceral sense of crunch and texture and aggression that the Q701 can't do. The Q701 also has a large, somewhat distant soundstage that prevents metal from sounding as "in your face" as it should be IMO. 

 

I concur that HE400 is better than all the K701 variants for metal. (My romantic partner really likes K702 for her prog rock, when I let her use it, because that's more orchestral insofar as it makes use of many instruments.)

post #58 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

I concur that HE400 is better than all the K701 variants for metal. (My romantic partner really likes K702 for her prog rock, when I let her use it, because that's more orchestral insofar as it makes use of many instruments.)

Out of curiosity, besides the colors, what is the difference between the k701, k702, and q701? 

post #59 of 60

I have only heard the Q701, but my basic understanding from reading this forum while choosing between those three is K701 and 702 sound more or less the same, but only the K702 uses a detachable cable (which is desirable IMO, in case you break your cable or want a shorter one). The Q701 is reputed to be a bit warmer than the other two, with somewhat more emphasized bass. The colors are also different for all three. Of course, people disagree about the sonic differences between the three, but that's what I got from reading the various threads here. 

EDIT: Q701 also has a detachable cable. 


Edited by manbear - 12/26/13 at 12:33pm
post #60 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danieru View Post
 

Out of curiosity, besides the colors, what is the difference between the k701, k702, and q701? 

 

I think the order of release was: K701 (2005), K702 (2009), Q701 (2010). AKG likes to tinker with its drivers and baffles That's why there are three nearly identical versions of K501, and quite different versions of K304, and so on. It doesn't help that AKG never announces what it's doing and why! Manbear's sense of things is true: K701 & K702 are very similar and Q701 has more bass and mids. K702 65th Anniversary Edition ("K702 annie") is a K702 with memory foam pads, which makes the sound warmer.

 

I suspect that K702 was AKG's attempt to address some of the complaints about K701, but without changing it too much and upsetting the fans. AKG has my favorite house sound, but their corporate decisions often make little sense to me. Unlike many others, I think these questionable decisions pre-date Harman's acquisition of AKG in 1994. I'm hard on them because I look over at Sennheiser and think, "Those guys really know how to run a business."

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for headphones for metal music; my budget is $0 - 300