or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Network & Industry News › Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800 Available This Week
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800 Available This Week - Page 6  

post #76 of 245

This is ridiculous...





When I have borrowed HD800 from local Sennheisser office for a weekend couple of weeks ago, they've put balanced cable in to the box as well. I was told balanced cable is sold separately for approx 4500CZK = 214USD over here.





When I've finally bought my HD800 last week the 1st thing I did was balancing of stock cable using Audio-GD's kit with male and female Neutriks which I bought together with my Reference 10.32.



30USD for both of them and some WBT silver solder. Soldering was piece of cake and the sound is identical to the sound of balanced Sennheiser cable.



Just sayin'...


Edited by PiNa.cz - 12/12/13 at 2:28am
post #77 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiNa.cz View Post

This is ridiculous...









When I have borrowed HD800 from local Sennheisser office for a weekend couple of weeks ago, they've put balanced cable in to the box as well. I was told balanced cable is sold separately for approx 4500CZK = 214USD over here.









When I've finally bought my HD800 last week the 1st thing I did was balancing of stock cable using Audio-GD's kit with male and female Neutriks which I bought together with my Reference 10.32.





30USD for both of them and some WBT silver solder. Soldering was piece of cake and the sound is identical to the sound of balanced Sennheiser cable.





Just sayin'...

 



I feel dumb not having done that, can you share the link or the instruction how to do this ?

Thanks in advance.
post #78 of 245

Hey Canadian411 - there's a discussion regarding how to cut and reterminate your stock cable into a 4pin xlr & 4pin xlr -> trs adapter here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/650510/the-new-hd800-appreciation-thread/6840  See posts 6850 - 6854.

 

I'm planning to do the same thing.

post #79 of 245

HD650 cable from China + Neutrik connector = bargain balanced HD650



I actually bought the cable second hand so it cost me pocket change to build..






 

post #80 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandmar View Post

HD650 cable from China + Neutrik connector = bargain balanced HD650





I actually bought the cable second hand so it cost me pocket change to build..











 

 



I'm not a fan of DIY because it looks DIY. The Sennheiser cables look and feel like OEM goodness.
post #81 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyK View Post

"balanced vs unbalanced HDVD800 outputs do make a noticable difference though....has nothing to do with the cable quality though but with the outputs on the amplifer, that and the price of aftermarket cables are actually more expensive for me here in Belgium because I have to import them from America so generally speaking, the price of these in euro are lower than the price of alternatives."





Exactly -- where are all of these balanced aftermarket cables for the HD-800/HDVD-800 combo that cost less than Sennheiser's? I'm in the US, and I ordered the Sennheiser HD-800 cable from the UK. Once VAT was deducted, it cost roughly $350 including shipping. I believe HeadRoom's re-terminated stock cable is $350-ish. Not sure what all of the whining in this thread is about. And there's loads of cable voodoo talk creeping in. If you think the cable is too expensive, don't buy it. It was totally worth it to me. As stated, there is a noticeable difference between unbalanced and balanced on the HDVD-800.

 





We all wish that the cable cost less but what can we do ? lol.



Your best bet is to DIY your own cable. Will probably ended up costing around $150ish. ($70 connectors, $50 cable, $20 teflon/heatshrink, $10 etc).

 



You forgot the cost of labor and tools to do the job. How much does an hour or two out of your weekend is worth to you and your family (consult the wife on this)? How much time and energy will be spent on obtaining the parts and tools to do this DIY? Please consider those things.
Edited by HiFiGuy528 - 12/12/13 at 11:48am
post #82 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post
You forgot the cost of labor and tools to do the job. How much does an hour or two out of your weekend is worth to you and your family (consult the wife on this)? How much time and energy will be spent on obtaining the parts and tools to do this DIY? Please consider those things.

Dude, give it a break.  You aren't going to convince anyone that these cables are reasonably priced.  Don't worry about it, no one's attacking you for buying them.

post #83 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyK View Post

"balanced vs unbalanced HDVD800 outputs do make a noticable difference though....has nothing to do with the cable quality though but with the outputs on the amplifer, that and the price of aftermarket cables are actually more expensive for me here in Belgium because I have to import them from America so generally speaking, the price of these in euro are lower than the price of alternatives."







Exactly -- where are all of these balanced aftermarket cables for the HD-800/HDVD-800 combo that cost less than Sennheiser's? I'm in the US, and I ordered the Sennheiser HD-800 cable from the UK. Once VAT was deducted, it cost roughly $350 including shipping. I believe HeadRoom's re-terminated stock cable is $350-ish. Not sure what all of the whining in this thread is about. And there's loads of cable voodoo talk creeping in. If you think the cable is too expensive, don't buy it. It was totally worth it to me. As stated, there is a noticeable difference between unbalanced and balanced on the HDVD-800.

 







We all wish that the cable cost less but what can we do ? lol.





Your best bet is to DIY your own cable. Will probably ended up costing around $150ish. ($70 connectors, $50 cable, $20 teflon/heatshrink, $10 etc).

 





You forgot the cost of labor and tools to do the job. How much does an hour or two out of your weekend is worth to you and your family (consult the wife on this)? How much time and energy will be spent on obtaining the parts and tools to do this DIY? Please consider those things.

 



I understand your point and thanks for that, smily_headphones1.gif

But I also consider learning and DIY"ing" is fun and exciting. I am still young so I am curious on many things that brings me the challenge.
I never took an Electrical Engineering class back in the university years so I am interested in discovering it, that's all.

And, by doing this I learn quiet a lot, smily_headphones1.gif
post #84 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post

Dude, give it a break.  You aren't going to convince anyone that these cables are reasonably priced.  Don't worry about it, no one's attacking you for buying them.

 



Not trying to convince anyone. Just being clear on the subject.
post #85 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post

Dude, give it a break.  You aren't going to convince anyone that these cables are reasonably priced.  Don't worry about it, no one's attacking you for buying them.

 



Not trying to convince anyone. Just want to be clear on the subject. smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by HiFiGuy528 - 12/12/13 at 12:46pm
post #86 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

You forgot the cost of labor and tools to do the job. How much does an hour or two out of your weekend is worth to you and your family (consult the wife on this)? How much time and energy will be spent on obtaining the parts and tools to do this DIY? Please consider those things.

 

Reterminating a stock cable into a 4-pin XLR? 15 minutes.

 

Very easy procedure. How much time/cost is it for Sennheiser to put a 4 Pin XLR onto a cable instead of a 1/4"?  Pretty much nothing. 

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by squallkiercosa View Post

Consumers should stop buying overpriced products. If you guys keep buying every expensive toy out there the demand will push companies to raise the prices for hi-end gear..  don't be surprised when regular headphones end up costing as much as the Abyss...

 

In recent years Sennheiser has also become guilty of this. These cables are just another step for them, not a shocking move all. I think people should realize that just as they are trying to inflate prices on these, Senn is also trying to inflate prices on all of their equipment. Caveat emptor. 

post #87 of 245

"The Sennheiser cables look and feel like OEM goodness."    :rolleyes:     Oh please.    You sound like a sennheiser sales rep.  Go away.

post #88 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

In recent years Sennheiser has also become guilty of this. These cables are just another step for them, not a shocking move all. I think people should realize that just as they are trying to inflate prices on these, Senn is also trying to inflate prices on all of their equipment. Caveat emptor. 

Not to attack anyone but I'm surprised everytime I read and I quote: ''Abyss AB-1266 headphones run $5,495, but they're worth it'' to give an example. Everytime I see Hi-end audio gear I see wonderful pieces of art but always wonder if their asking prices are honest reflexions of sound quality versus lifestyle. I'm not anyone but I really would like to ask each one of you to spend wisely to show manufacturers we're not happy with imposed, inflated prices.


Edited by squallkiercosa - 12/12/13 at 1:18pm
post #89 of 245
post #90 of 245

For better sound than a Sennheiser stock cable and at a similar price, it would be far better to buy an after market premium cable from Moon Audio, ALO, etc.  The Senn cable is ok but on my HD800 when I replaced the stock cable with a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable, the sound was significantly improved -- more detail, transparency and bass.  Better overall.

 

I see no reason to ever buy a Sennheiser stock cable, especially at those prices.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Head-Fi Network & Industry News
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Network & Industry News › Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800 Available This Week