I'd love to see urushi-e faceplates one day...
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryIn Eartagged by nightmancometh, 11/13/14
Related Forum Threads
- In ear headphone (earbuds) under 120$ Last post on 5/22/15 at 5:20pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Review: Cardas Ear Speakers EM5813 Model 1 Last post on 8/1/15 at 6:18am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Recommendations for IEMs for electronic music (mostly EDM) ~$200 Budget Last post on 5/13/15 at 6:57am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Help please Last post on 2/4/15 at 8:21pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Any experience with Dynamic Ear company/Tympro music custom IEM ? - now with frequency graphs Last post on 4/2/15 at 12:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Kumitate (くみたて) Lab: A Triumph and Celebration of DIY - Impressions Thread - Page 3post #31 of 1686/28/14 at 9:23pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #32 of 1686/28/14 at 10:24pm
Mixing acrylic with some highlights to get that classic lacquered look...
Or just cut out the gold leaves off of something like this sheet and inlay it (less of a focus on that lacquered look and more on the maki-e design itself)post #33 of 1686/28/14 at 10:42pmpost #34 of 1686/28/14 at 10:57pm
Although he does not have options outside of Japan on his order form, to my knowledge he has been more than willing to do international orders for quite some time, just PM or email him (it's a less formal process). I did so around September of last year. Metalboy from Sweden got his a while ago. Tomscy2000 has a pair of RedGiants sent to him out for reshell but I don't know if he has them yet. I should have some in my hands as soon as Canada Post comes back from the weekend break.post #35 of 1686/29/14 at 2:05ampost #36 of 1686/29/14 at 3:31am
Pictures from the e-earphone Portable Show yesterday :-
I tested their universal demo too that @TwinQY mentioned a few days ago. However I've listened to so many earphones I have to admit my memory has gotten so blurry. I intend to meet up with Ito-san to demo his offerings in a more less pressured and rushed environment as it was in the show. Although I can't remember the specifics of each earphone, I can say that remember walking away impressed with what they're offering for the price.
They also are open to international orders however he's concerned about his English ability (which to me was of no concern at all, I think his English level is great).post #37 of 1686/29/14 at 1:31pm
I find that he's fairly adept at communicating via English, however he might show trouble understanding unless you are clear, direct, and succinct. If one is ordering one of his original designs the process should be fairly straightforward (turn-around is almost always two months). If you are ordering something a bit more complex you might encounter some problems with language due to the nature of the questions that would be asked in those circumstances.
While Tom doesn't have the drivers being used in Mr. K's works listed in his BA spreadsheet, 84audio's spreadsheet does. I assume this is because Mr. K and 84 are pretty chummy so he was simply told which ones uses which (although he doesn't seem too certain in some of the cases) but then again I'm just guessing.post #38 of 1686/29/14 at 1:34pm
Are some drivers better quality than others? Which ones? For example, how does the drivers in the TF10 compare to UERM drivers? Is the quality different? Do CIEM makes use better quality drivers for their flagships?
Edited by SilverEars - 6/29/14 at 1:43pmpost #39 of 1686/29/14 at 1:54pmQuote:
I believe Tom has a spreadsheet on which drivers are used in which universals/customs. For the most part, they all seem to use the same drivers from Knowles/Sonion etc. The UERM uses purpose built drivers doesn't it? In any case, it'd seem that purpose built BAs are fairly rare. I think FAD and Sony are two of the only companies off the top of my head that utilize proprietary stuff, which is why I tend to get a bit excited by their announcements moreso than others
Other than that, I absolutely love the finishes on those plates. Which is odd, since I tend to think those pearlescent/abalone style finishes look super tacky on stuff like Schecter/Carvin guitarspost #40 of 1686/29/14 at 2:07pmQuote:
I agree as I'm seeing is different from the traditional use of it. It looks to have a better finish than just tacking a pearl plate on it. It look like the design is cut and a colored translucent material is applied on top of it. So, the craftsmanship of the plate looks better done than a simple pearl plate. When I saw Metalboy's CIEMs, the design was what stood out for me.post #41 of 1686/29/14 at 2:30pm
Purpose-specced drivers, that is pre-existing designs that are specced to how the maker requires them, are common for the companies that can afford to order enough of them. Westone, UE, JH, Noble, etc, etc. If you are a smaller outfit, you design around the drivers, but if you are a larger outfit, you can sort of get around that in some cases. Although there is only so much you can get out of having them specced to your needs. A proprietary TWFK will never be a CI no matter how you look at it.
There seems to be a couple of BA manufacturers other than Knowles and Sonion. As you mentioned, Sony does their own, FAD has ties with Molex so some of their things use that. There are other outfits in China that manufacture like DTS but as you can read in the BA100 thread, their QC is probably not up to snuff to the big boys. Heck I have some Star Micronics from a couple of pairs of ER6i. But Knowles/Sonion are probably the best bet for consistency, plus they have a ton of choice across the board. Sonion's product list is a very tedious and mind-wrapping read.
The Home-Made IEM thread is extremely informative on all of these matters and I highly recommend making an offline copy for some late-night reading. Nothing like snuggling in bed with your beloved cat and a cup of coffee, reading about drivers. Unless you have a life of course.post #42 of 1686/29/14 at 5:15pm
what are the available models for order? from the website i saw a 3,4,6drivers but don't see the hybrid that the other forumer ordered, so is there other models that are not listed on the website?post #43 of 1686/29/14 at 6:00pmQuote:
As mentioned above by @TwinQY :-Quote:Originally Posted by TwinQY
Although he does not have options outside of Japan on his order form, to my knowledge he has been more than willing to do international orders for quite some time, just PM or email him (it's a less formal process). I did so around September of last year. Metalboy from Sweden got his a while ago. Tomscy2000 has a pair of RedGiants sent to him out for reshell but I don't know if he has them yet. I should have some in my hands as soon as Canada Post comes back from the weekend break.
You can find his PM here.post #44 of 1686/30/14 at 7:14pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Kumitate (くみたて) Lab: A Triumph and Celebration of DIY - Impressions Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 58 seconds ago
- › Looking to improve the comfort of my headphones 1 minute ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 4 minutes ago
- › B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Dishonesty of Sighted Listening Tests 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 5 minutes ago
- › Cinder's Hearth - Reviews and Impressions Catalogue 5 minutes ago
- › DX200 The style has been chosen by your votes. Details of design... 5 minutes ago
- › JLab Audio Epic2 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Sport Earbuds, GUARANTEED... by red71rum
- › Chord MoJo by snellemin
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Frank I
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by UncleGamer
- › HyperX Cloud Revolver Multi-platform E-Sports Gaming Wire Headset... by UncleGamer
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by HiFiChris
- › Vibro Labs Sera triple armature in-ear monitors by sq3rjick
- › Meze 12 Classics by Mightygrey
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones with Microphone and Remote... by glassmonkey
- › Astell&Kern JH Audio Siren Series Michelle by MrOTL
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear