5am here and I couldn't sleep, so I finally opened the tour package Unity sent my way. Since I have the ASG-2.5 here too, I figured I'd start with the Rockets.
It's been an hour, and I literally cannot make myself stop listening. I've listened to everything from Lee Ritenour and Leonard Cohen, to System of a Down and Biggie Smalls. I'm really ready to declare the Rockets the best phones I've ever heard, but I don't want to be rash. I just can't find anything they do wrong, and there so much they do frickin' right. I may come up with issues later though.
The biggest things about the Rockets that jump out at me are:
1. Wicked texturing and detail. I'm hearing s**t I've never heard in some of my favorite. Details, newly found harmonics, you name it.
2. Wicked clarity
3. Spectacular imaging. It's almost like the Rockets specialize in ambiance.
4. A soundstage that is waaaayyy more open than I expected. Seriously, I fired up some binaural tracks from Chesky's Explorations in Space and Time, and I was floored. I've uploaded a track to youtube so Rockets owners can behold the awesomeness. You may want to crank the volume a bit:
5. Wicked bass punch and rumble when the song calls for it. Listening to Drake's "All Me", I was surprised by how much and how good the bass is. I'm hearing bass lines that were previously hidden.
6. The best phone I've heard looks kinda like an anal probe and is named "Rocket", not Project XKR437847. And it wasn't marketed to us audiophiles lol. Sigh.
Looking back at the stuff I just typed, I realize I sound a lot like mochill lol.
Screw it...*hits submit*