I'm looking at getting new headphones and have narrowed it down to the Sennheiser HD 558s and the 449s. I'm torn between these right now though because I can't decide on the open or closed design of the two. I've never really had great headphones (previously just used my Razer Carcharias for gaming and music for 3 years since I'm a cheap college student), so I don't have much to start from.
From what I've read, I like the descriptions of the 558s' sound more than the 449s, but I'm somewhat scared by the fact that they're open and leak some sound. About 95% of the time I would be using them sitting at my desk at night listening to music or playing games. I've got pretty good speakers too so I basically just use my headset for when my girlfriend is over studying or at night not to disturb my flatmates. The other 5% would be when in the car with my parents on a roadtrip or something. However, I'm a year from being out of college, so I imagine the days of me riding when them on roadtrips are almost over. I never walk around town or campus listening to music.
Most things I've read say they leak sound at higher volumes, but I do not listen to music super loud (though not quiet either) and I do not like a heavy bass so I do not know how much they really would be leaking.
How much sound do the 558s leak? If the leakage is so much that it'll disturb people studying in my room then that may be too much, but if they are no more than regular leakage from cheap headsets then that's fine. I've got a mechanical keyboard so I generally make a lot of noise typing anyways haha.
Also, how does the comfort compare between the two? My Carcharias had the velour pads and I know I like the comfort of them. I also have glasses, so I'd prefer not having anything too squeezing.
The 558s are $128 on Amazon now and the 449s are $85. Of course I would rather spend the lower amount, but I am more than willing to spend the higher amount for the 558s if they provide that much better sound quality. I am looking at these for the long run.