Originally Posted by djvkool
Can't wait until you are back in Perth again Sean, this time I will bring my own cable and I'd love to have another go at your 1P2 , as most people said that 1P2 is the best sounding universal hybrid
Oh I did indeed, big thanks to AnakChan for bringing that along with him...
Can do. I was supposed to go back in March but I'm not so certain now (work's been becoming more "critical"). I'll definitely ping you and organise another meet.
Originally Posted by achl354
what happened with the first two Ubers?
Originally Posted by lee730
I figured that although I was also answering H20s questions at the same time :). Third Uber? Are they breaking? Warranty?
First one was DOA but Gavin/Tralucent tested it before shipment. I'm not certain if it's during packing, or if Japan Post opened it up to check and didn't put it back together or what but a channel was cut. 2nd I was a lot more careful which lasted a few weeks more until I went with a friend to the stores. We tried it with various DAPs and coming home, a channel died (this time it was determined the cut was at the Y-split - I can only guess that a scenario of one earphone is in the listener's ear and the other was off dangling).
3rd has so far survived since July :D. But sadly I don't listen to the 1Plus2 very much so they're safely in their storage case. In the first 2 cases Gavin had been very gracious to cover under warranty. I don't wanna push my luck with the 3rd so I'm super extra careful so I follow Gavin's instructions carefully on unrolling it from its storage and even when the earpiece is twisted and the cable not too tightly looped around the ear - sorry djvkool if I appeared ultra paranoid when you were trying it :D.
Originally Posted by d marc0
What improvements do the uber cables bring to the 1plus2?
Wow, ok if you're asking -me- specifically, it's kinda like opening a can of worms. I've written my review of the 1Plus2 and I'll admit that for my 1st round of 1Plus2 ownership (yes I bought it twice - 1st one returned but decided to give it a 2nd shot; with the Uber cable). I'll admit and will still stand by that my 1st round of the 1Plus2 didn't agree to my ears - this is with the silver cable v1.0 and with silver/gold cable v1.0. Gavin was very patient in listening to my every complaint and even offered back a refund after I was unhappy with his every attempt to resolve my issues.
One evening before the 2013 New York show, Dimitri/Musica Acoustics met up with me as he needed components from me to exhibit at the show there. Whilst having dinner Dimitri whips out an Uber cable with the 1Plus2's. I brought along my Rhapsodio RDB+ v1s along. To my ears the Uber did a massive improvement in addressing the issues I had with the original 1Plus2 and that's where I decided to re-buy the 1Plus2 again but with the Uber cable this time.
In short to my ears :-
1) The Uber fills the mids that was lacking in the silver and silver/gold cables previously
2) This also meant that the relative difference in listening of transition from the mids to the trebles was a lot less therefore the relative perception of the trebles was less piercing. I think overall though, despite the relative difference the cable did control the the treble brightness better and smoother (P.S. I did burn in the silver and silver gold for 300 hrs in case anyone thinks I didn't burn it in).
3) despite the mids being more filled in the perception of the soundstage was still wide. What's funny is A/B-ing the sliver and Uber, the silver starts to sound congested! Bear in mind that for most 1Plus2 reviewers with the stock silver cable, the 1Plus2 is already one of the widest (if not the widest) sounding IEM back in early 2013. But the Uber to my ears just made it bigger the sliver sounded relatively congested. Maybe to be precise, I should say the Uber sounded more expansive.
I've tried a bunch of cables with the various IEMs I've had in the past: Headphone Lounge, Beat Audio Cables, PlusSound, FitEar 000/001, BTG, etc. Whilst those cables did vary in differences, to me the differences were tiny. One would have to listen hard or listen critically to pick up the difference. However with the Tralucent Silver and Silver/Gold to the Uber, it was significant enough for me to decide from returning the 1Plus2 to deciding to buy and keeping it. I have to admit I've not really come across another cable that has made me do that. Since then I've learnt not to treat different cables so frivolously.
Finally I may get a question as to why I don't spend much time with my 1Plus2 if I have such high praise for it with the Uber cable. Here are my concerns :-
- I've become paranoid with the fragility of the package - (not only the cables breaking, but the connectors getting loose and the earphone dropping from the connector)
- comfort...it takes time to get it right on the earphone with the Uber. Much easier with the Sliver/Sliver Gold
- even with the Uber, this to me is still a very surgical sounding signature - it's like watching a Hitchcock movie, where I'm on the edge of my seat
Apologies for the very long response to such a simple question. I didn't get a chance to spend so much on HF this past weekend and this is my only chance before going to bed for work the next day :D.