Ideally I would want a headphone that I could use in multiple scenarios. eg, Something I could use and be happy with on my pc, but also something that I could use with an Ipod or laptop if need be -- preferably without disturbing anyone around me. And of-course, then the ideal Dac/Amp would be able to move with me, as-well as be used stationary at a pc.
That being said, I understand that that is a pretty extensive request, that is why I was curious if getting an open phone -- that would be tied down to my pc -- and just picking up something just for portable use later would be a better option. But I'm not really sure how these headphones stack up against each other, as audiophiles don't like to agree.
So basically would:
- AKG550+ 100-150$ dac/amp = 300-350
- Momentum(used?) + 100-150$ dac/amp = 300-350
- dt880s+ 100-200$ dac/amp = 300-400$
- hd598+ 100-200$ dac/amp =250-400$
- hd600+ 200$ dac/amp = 500$
- he400+ 100-200$ dac/amp = 400-500$
Wondering which would provide me with the best value, while I'm sure the hd600/he400 would provide the best sound, they would also be very, very not portable while being more costly -- also the he400 may require headphone mod, and the hd600 may not be adequately amped by a cheaper(ish) amp, and I'm not looking to drop huge money amping a headphone. But again, if they were that superior sound-wise the cost extra cost may be worth it in the long term.
Where-as I'm sure that I could use the Akg/Momentum in a portable way. I'm concerned about the audio quality of both as they are only 100$ish cheaper than the other options, and of-course comfort is a concern with the momentum.(which is why I was leaning towards akg )
Then the dt880/598 are the middle ground, again not being sure how these stack up, I thought there might not be a huge difference between the he400/hd600 and the dt880/hd598, and with the cost difference I might be able to pick up a 100-150$~ IEM/on-ear, to make up for the fact they are not portable.(would still cost more than a multi-use headphone though)
- I've tried out portable phones like the M50 and was quite disappointed. Didn't really enjoy the sound and they weren't terribly comfy.
- I would like to use these as pretty much all-around headphones, movies, music, other misc audio(speech). I tend to learn towards rock, but i listen to everything from piano heavy classical up to metalish~ type music, and everything in between.
- Also open to alternatives, assuming they meet the criteria and aren't horrible offensive aesthetically.
- I've seen the momentum can be quite small/uncomfortable for some people
- the 550 may lack a bit on the bottom end.
- I've seen people say the 598 uses the same drivers as the 558 so there is not a big difference between them?
- I've heard the he-400 isn't exactly comfortable -- due to the weight and the headband.
- No clue about the differences in beyer models.
- the cost of amplification of the hd600 might push it to being far less cost effective than the other headphones.
Edited by WTFGoD - 12/7/13 at 3:24am