Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Question: LCD 2.2<<HE 500<< LCD 3?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question: LCD 2.2<<HE 500<< LCD 3?

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 

I've been perusing the entire thread on the Audeze LCD 2.2.  With the Black Friday sale I just missed picking up a pair LCD 2.2s last week.  I stopped by the Audeze dealer yesterday and had a listen and I was very impressed by the overall tone and signature.  I felt what sounds like a slight lack of detail in the treble.  Parts of the music seemed to have a little less bloom and I noticed the lack of air people refer too.  

 

The dealer had an LCD 3 sitting there as well.  Against better judgement I checked them out too.  Holy smokes!  It sounded like I was getting the full 100% of the music.  Lively and engaging everywhere, not as much detail up in the higher frequencies as some other headphones but an entirely addicting sound.  Better separation and treble detail without being tiring.  I could listen to these for a long time.  There would, of course, be temptation to upgrade some other components in the system as well.  Here's where it gets hard, I was ok justifying the ~$800.00 on the Auduze LCD 2 sale but the LCD 3's are $2000.00!  I've since been scheming about a pair of LCD 3's but have started to suffer from the reality that that is just a bundle of cash.  

 

Would the HE 500 be somewhere between the Audeze 2s and 3s?  Never heard the HiFi Man stuff but that's what the forums seem to indicate.  I'm running a Glow Audio Amp 1.  Thoughts anyone could offer?  Thanks.

post #2 of 23

no, the hifiman's are very nice, they do have more treble, but the sound signature is overall completely different. your amp might need a bit more power for them too.

 

you should also check out the LCD-X

post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the input.  I saw the review on the LCD X on the front page.  It sounded really positive.  

 

I may be trying to talk myself into an HE500 as an in between the LCD 2 and LCD 3.  It sounds like it's probably not though?

post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 

Oops, looks like this question should have gone in the 'help and recommendations' forum.

 

I'll repost over there.

post #5 of 23

the LCD-X could also be considered an in between, i think you would really like it. its also easier to drive than the other audezes or hifimans as well.

post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 

I'd love to hear the LCD X.  The LCD 3 is really the one that got me thinking though, the HE500 is a thought as the sound signature is described as being in between the LCD 2 and 3.  It's the $$ of the 3 that is prohibitive.  The X is close enough to the the cost of the 3 that it's probably a matter of sound preference rather than cost.

 

Seeing that you have the LCD 3 and HE500 what's your opinion on the two?  Thanks.

post #7 of 23
There's not much between the LCD-2 and the HE-500. The Audezes do certain things better, but, for the price, the HE-500 is exceptional value and is the better all-rounder in my opinion. Bear in mind that it's nearly 1K less expensive than the LCD-X - money that could be put towards a very good amp to run them off.

There's always the Alpha Dogs too. I'd like to try them but there is something off putting in paying $600 for what is essentially a souped-up version of a budget headphone - even though they no doubt sound fantastic.
Edited by Tony1110 - 12/7/13 at 3:01am
post #8 of 23
Best value = HE-500
Best headphone under $1000 = LCD-2
Best sound = LCD-3
post #9 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1110 View Post

There's not much between the LCD-2 and the HE-500. The Audezes do certain things better, but, for the price, the HE-500 is exceptional value and is the better all-rounder in my opinion. Bear in mind that it's nearly 1K less expensive than the LCD-X - money that could be put towards a very good amp to run them off.

There's always the Alpha Dogs too. I'd like to try them but there is something off putting in paying $600 for what is essentially a souped-up version of a budget headphone - even though they no doubt sound fantastic.

Thanks Tony.  I think you're probably spot on-the HE 500 is one of the best for the $$.  I wish I could manage a way to hear them.  I guess I could order and return them if they don't do it for me.

post #10 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

Best value = HE-500
Best headphone under $1000 = LCD-2
Best sound = LCD-3

I think I've been talking myself into the LCD-3.  I know I liked what I heard better than the LCD-2 and I hear the LCD-3 is still a step up from the HE500.

post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-record View Post
 

I think I've been talking myself into the LCD-3.  I know I liked what I heard better than the LCD-2 and I hear the LCD-3 is still a step up from the HE500.

 

Initially, I would've maybe suggested getting the LCD-2 and HE-500 over just having the LCD-3, so that way you could have 2 flavours. Although after 5+ months with LCD-3, I'll recommend going straight for the LCD-3 and not worrying about the other two. I find the LCD-3 more enjoyable than the other two. LCD-3 definitely does more things right and better than the other two.

post #12 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

 

Initially, I would've maybe suggested getting the LCD-2 and HE-500 over just having the LCD-3, so that way you could have 2 flavours. Although after 5+ months with LCD-3, I'll recommend going straight for the LCD-3 and not worrying about the other two. I find the LCD-3 more enjoyable than the other two. LCD-3 definitely does more things right and better than the other two.

Thank you.

 

For helping me spend my money that is.  :)

post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-record View Post
 

Thank you.

 

For helping me spend my money that is.  :)

Sorry for your wallet.  For what it's worth, I picked the HE500 over LCD2.2 and no, $ wasn't a factor.

I could live with the LCD3 instead of the HE500 though.  I found LCD2 lacking air in the mid/high for my taste;  its bass was nice.


Edited by koiloco - 12/15/13 at 9:24pm
post #14 of 23

LCD-X? 

post #15 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Sorry for your wallet.  For what it's worth, I picked the HE500 over LCD2.2 and no, $ wasn't a factor.

I could live with the LCD3 instead of the HE500 though.  I found LCD2 lacking air in the mid/high for my taste;  its bass was nice.

Not having had a chance to hear the HE500 I have to try and understand others experience.  The LCD2 lacked air, sparkle and detail in the highs for me as well.  For myself it is a price issue between the HE500 and the LCD 3.  I could pick up HE500s now but I'd have to wait a bit for the LCD3s.  I did fall for the sound of the LCD3s though!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Question: LCD 2.2<<HE 500<< LCD 3?