Yeah, a modded Behringer DCX2496 can go from a POS to something pretty good too.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAbyss Headphones AB-1266tagged by dbsaffor, 12/6/13
- productAMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2)tagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productApril Music Eximus DP-1tagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productAudinst HUD-mx2tagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productAudio-gd Master 7tagged by dbsaffor, 12/6/13
- productAuralic Vegatagged by BeyerMonster, 4/24/14
- productChord Hugotagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productEddie Current Super 7tagged by dbsaffor, 12/6/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by dbsaffor, 12/6/13
- productJDS Labs ODACtagged by joe, 8/5/14More
- productLavry DA11tagged by BeyerMonster, 4/24/14
- productLuxman DA-06tagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productLynx Hilotagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productMetrum Acoustics Quadtagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productMytek Stereo192-DSD DACtagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productNAD M51 DACtagged by BeyerMonster, 4/24/14
- productPS Audio PerfectWave DAC IItagged by dbsaffor, 12/6/13
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by BeyerMonster, 4/24/14
- productSchiit Gungnirtagged by dbsaffor, 12/6/13
- productSchiit Moditagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 12/6/13
- productTeac UD-501tagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productWyrd USB Decrapifiertagged by joe, 8/5/14
Related Forum Threads
- Should I Upgrade? Last post on 3/7/14 at 9:59am in Dedicated Source Components
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison Last post on 1/10/14 at 7:49pm in Dedicated Source Components
- DAC around the 150$ budget Last post on 9/29/13 at 6:01pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Cost efficient but not underpowered amp for HE-500 Last post on 12/31/12 at 9:13pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/10/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 7/10/14
I don’t get asked very often about the Private 333 amongst the Fitear customs I own. Nor do you hear people raving about it as you might in respect of the C435, the MH 334 and the MH335DW....
Before I begin with my review of the Beyerdynamic XP1, all of the below are solely what I’ve managed to get out of the IEM, I suggest to try it out or read some other people’s review to get a...
See The Whole Review With Pictures Here: http://db-headphones.blogspot.com ... Oh and ignore the sliders for the audio quality, value etc. I can't edit the slider scoring on mobile. Disclaimer: I...
Disclaimer First of all, huge thanks to Audrey and the Brainwavz team for giving me the opportunity to write this review. Please note that I was not paid to write this review, nor am I...
First, the normal boilerplate stuff - Audio setup - FLAC files in Media Monkey -> Amazon Basics TOSLINK cable -> Schiit Bifrost w/Uber upgrade -> Knukoncept Shielded RCAs -> Project Ember...
Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) - Page 64post #946 of 16365/13/14 at 6:46pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #947 of 16365/13/14 at 6:48pmThread StarterQuote:
My approach is why wait if you can afford something nice now. Just do your homework first. There will always be something better coming along. If I'd waited for the supposed OR6 USB converter which should have been out a few months ago but is still not out now, I wouldn't have enjoyed what the OR5 has given me for nearly a year.post #948 of 16365/13/14 at 7:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
My approach is why wait if you can afford something nice now. Just do your homework first. There will always be something better coming along. If I'd waited for the supposed OR6 USB converter which should have been out a few months ago but is still not out now, I wouldn't have enjoyed what the OR5 has given me for nearly a year.
I hope you do a review of the Schiit YGG when it comes out.
The last time I spoke to you, you had not heard the Bryston BDA-2. By any chance have you gotten to hear it since then?post #949 of 16365/13/14 at 7:55pmThread Starter
Not yet. Sort of on hiatus and just coming back to causing trouble. Partners at my old firm threw me under the bus after seven loyal years. Moved to a different part of town and now working in the big corporate world. At least I get good benefits and I'm learning new stuff again.post #950 of 16365/13/14 at 8:15pmQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
Not yet. Sort of on hiatus and just coming back to causing trouble. Partners at my old firm threw me under the bus after seven loyal years. Moved to a different part of town and now working in the big corporate world. At least I get good benefits and I'm learning new stuff again.
Sometimes a change makes all the difference. Hope it goes well. I am still on a DAC hunt. I'm selling my WA2 and T1 next month. Im gonna use the money and get a DAC for when my Stratus comes towards the end of the summer. I'm hoping the new Shciit DAC will be out by then.post #951 of 16365/13/14 at 9:11pm
that's funny you mention that. all behringer stuff is pos. some of it once modded are classic. I mean for studio use. on the other hand much of it is so bad you can't even get it apart. like glued in 12ax7's.post #952 of 16365/14/14 at 9:54amQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
Provided you can get clean / sufficient power to the ODAC, I prefer the ODAC to the Modi. For example, I prefer the Modi from my laptop which seems to have crappy USB power. The ODAC sounded craptastic from my laptop. However the ODAC sounds great from my PC - a little better than the Modi. My PC seems to have a "real" USB port, or at least one with either sufficient juice or power quality.
My ODAC sounds excellent from my modern Toshiba Satellite (the S-series, released June 2012), so the USB power is good
(how good?) in this particular case.
Anyway, one can use the ODAC with the Vaunix hub (recommended by Currawong) or the iFi iUSB, and so on.
What about running the ODAC from good quality batteries - someone on this site mentioned Clean Power batteries?
Just out of curiosity, would the ODAC benefit more from the Clean Power (or other good quality brands) batteries?
What are pros and cons in terms of the electric power quality of using batteries vs. dedicated power supplies (IFi iUSB, etc.)?
Thanx for reading.
Edited by JakeJack_2008 - 5/14/14 at 9:56ampost #953 of 16365/14/14 at 4:29pm
What's needed to improve the ODAC is cleaner power to the ES9023 chip itself. The fact that changing the USB power source changes the SQ says that the regulator on the board doesn't have enough filtering to deliver a clean supply - no surprise really as Lord Voldemort didn't fit the correct output capacitor for the Micrel regulator. Batteries certainly will help as they're not subject to common-mode noise - they have the very valuable quality of being perfectly isolated - but that's a different kind of improvement as it's primarily affecting the equipment the ODAC feeds into.post #954 of 16365/14/14 at 9:18pmpost #955 of 16365/14/14 at 9:28pm
There is a fairly hard limitation though - they can't be made better than the DAC chip they use, and for a cheap DAC they'll almost certainly use S-D type chips. TDA1543 is the exception rather than the rule in cheapo DACs and that's one of the poorest sounding multibit chips.post #956 of 16365/15/14 at 11:34am
I would like to upset everyone (well, not really) and say that I personally don't like the idea of ranking dacs.
The name of the game is synergy and personal tastes.
An overly tubey amp may need a strident and even somewhat harch DAC to make the system work.
A harsh and lean amp may need a mellow rounded dac to make the system perform it's best.
Headphones are like tools, some tools are better than others. Some tools do many things while others are hammers and only do one thing well.
Amps are the same.... and so are dac's too when you think about it.
I'm not saying that a schiit loki can better than a PW mk2, because I don't think it can.
But there can be systems where an aggressive dac makes an otherwise sluggish amp pop into life and really shine.
To objectively say that this dac is better than that dac is to say that everyone has a reference system at home and that all the other components in the signal chain are dead neutral in character. Neither warm, nor cold, nor fast, nor slow.... just dead neutral.
I think we can all agree that such a system does not exist.
Synergy my friends.... it's all about synergy.
Edited by TwoEars - 5/15/14 at 11:35ampost #957 of 16365/15/14 at 11:57ampost #958 of 16365/15/14 at 12:02pmQuote:
What do you mean? That purrin will have to keep explaining himself because of comments like the one above?post #959 of 16365/15/14 at 12:03pm
- Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread! 4 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread) 53 seconds ago
- › Flac files to my iphone! 1 minute ago
- › The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 minutes ago
- › IEM Cable Upgrade For K10 5 minutes ago
- › Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC 6 minutes ago
- › Destiny 6 minutes ago
- › FitEar Private 333 by Kiats
- › Beyerdynamic XP1 by SawItComing
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan Import) by DisCHORDDubstep
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by thatBeatsguy
- › Fostex TH 900 by smitty1110
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by aquamacs
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by thatonenoob
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by H20Fidelity
- › Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 by smitty1110
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)