Yeah, a modded Behringer DCX2496 can go from a POS to something pretty good too.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productGrace Design m920tagged by AudioMan612, 1/11/15
- productLavry DA11tagged by BeyerMonster, 4/24/14
- productLuxman DA-06tagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productLynx Hilotagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productMetrum Acoustics Quadtagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productMytek Stereo192-DSD DACtagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productNAD M51 DACtagged by BeyerMonster, 4/24/14
- productPS Audio PerfectWave DAC IItagged by dbsaffor, 12/6/13
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by BeyerMonster, 4/24/14More
- productSchiit Gungnirtagged by dbsaffor, 12/6/13
- productSchiit Moditagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 12/6/13
- productTeac UD-501tagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productWyrd USB Decrapifiertagged by joe, 8/5/14
Related Forum Threads
- Should I Upgrade? Last post on 3/7/14 at 9:59am in Dedicated Source Components
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison Last post on 1/10/14 at 7:49pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Purchasing LCD-X Amp DAC Suggestions. Last post on 5/31/14 at 11:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dual listening: Amp with two headphone outputs Last post on 9/28/14 at 3:31pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Which would you choose? Last post on 8/30/14 at 4:59am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
The Audeze LCD 2.2 is one of the most popular headphones on Head-Fi. Much has already been written about them, so adding yet another review may not offer anything new or different. However, when...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Sennheiser US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. While waiting to receive my review unit of recently...
What's In The Box? The cardboard box itself is a cute little deal, with the Noble logo and the Wizard's signature. On the top left, the model and serial number are handwritten (apparently I'm the...
SUPERLUX HD 669 Review & comparison with HD 681-EVO. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have not experienced many headphones and I've only had the 669 for a fairly brief amount of time....
Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) - Page 64post #946 of 33215/13/14 at 6:46pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #947 of 33215/13/14 at 6:48pmThread StarterQuote:
My approach is why wait if you can afford something nice now. Just do your homework first. There will always be something better coming along. If I'd waited for the supposed OR6 USB converter which should have been out a few months ago but is still not out now, I wouldn't have enjoyed what the OR5 has given me for nearly a year.post #948 of 33215/13/14 at 7:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
My approach is why wait if you can afford something nice now. Just do your homework first. There will always be something better coming along. If I'd waited for the supposed OR6 USB converter which should have been out a few months ago but is still not out now, I wouldn't have enjoyed what the OR5 has given me for nearly a year.
I hope you do a review of the Schiit YGG when it comes out.
The last time I spoke to you, you had not heard the Bryston BDA-2. By any chance have you gotten to hear it since then?post #949 of 33215/13/14 at 7:55pmThread Starter
Not yet. Sort of on hiatus and just coming back to causing trouble. Partners at my old firm threw me under the bus after seven loyal years. Moved to a different part of town and now working in the big corporate world. At least I get good benefits and I'm learning new stuff again.post #950 of 33215/13/14 at 8:15pmQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
Not yet. Sort of on hiatus and just coming back to causing trouble. Partners at my old firm threw me under the bus after seven loyal years. Moved to a different part of town and now working in the big corporate world. At least I get good benefits and I'm learning new stuff again.
Sometimes a change makes all the difference. Hope it goes well. I am still on a DAC hunt. I'm selling my WA2 and T1 next month. Im gonna use the money and get a DAC for when my Stratus comes towards the end of the summer. I'm hoping the new Shciit DAC will be out by then.post #951 of 33215/13/14 at 9:11pm
that's funny you mention that. all behringer stuff is pos. some of it once modded are classic. I mean for studio use. on the other hand much of it is so bad you can't even get it apart. like glued in 12ax7's.post #952 of 33215/14/14 at 9:54amQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
Provided you can get clean / sufficient power to the ODAC, I prefer the ODAC to the Modi. For example, I prefer the Modi from my laptop which seems to have crappy USB power. The ODAC sounded craptastic from my laptop. However the ODAC sounds great from my PC - a little better than the Modi. My PC seems to have a "real" USB port, or at least one with either sufficient juice or power quality.
My ODAC sounds excellent from my modern Toshiba Satellite (the S-series, released June 2012), so the USB power is good
(how good?) in this particular case.
Anyway, one can use the ODAC with the Vaunix hub (recommended by Currawong) or the iFi iUSB, and so on.
What about running the ODAC from good quality batteries - someone on this site mentioned Clean Power batteries?
Just out of curiosity, would the ODAC benefit more from the Clean Power (or other good quality brands) batteries?
What are pros and cons in terms of the electric power quality of using batteries vs. dedicated power supplies (IFi iUSB, etc.)?
Thanx for reading.
Edited by JakeJack_2008 - 5/14/14 at 9:56ampost #953 of 33215/14/14 at 4:29pm
What's needed to improve the ODAC is cleaner power to the ES9023 chip itself. The fact that changing the USB power source changes the SQ says that the regulator on the board doesn't have enough filtering to deliver a clean supply - no surprise really as Lord Voldemort didn't fit the correct output capacitor for the Micrel regulator. Batteries certainly will help as they're not subject to common-mode noise - they have the very valuable quality of being perfectly isolated - but that's a different kind of improvement as it's primarily affecting the equipment the ODAC feeds into.post #954 of 33215/14/14 at 9:18pmpost #955 of 33215/14/14 at 9:28pm
There is a fairly hard limitation though - they can't be made better than the DAC chip they use, and for a cheap DAC they'll almost certainly use S-D type chips. TDA1543 is the exception rather than the rule in cheapo DACs and that's one of the poorest sounding multibit chips.post #956 of 33215/15/14 at 11:34am
I would like to upset everyone (well, not really) and say that I personally don't like the idea of ranking dacs.
The name of the game is synergy and personal tastes.
An overly tubey amp may need a strident and even somewhat harch DAC to make the system work.
A harsh and lean amp may need a mellow rounded dac to make the system perform it's best.
Headphones are like tools, some tools are better than others. Some tools do many things while others are hammers and only do one thing well.
Amps are the same.... and so are dac's too when you think about it.
I'm not saying that a schiit loki can better than a PW mk2, because I don't think it can.
But there can be systems where an aggressive dac makes an otherwise sluggish amp pop into life and really shine.
To objectively say that this dac is better than that dac is to say that everyone has a reference system at home and that all the other components in the signal chain are dead neutral in character. Neither warm, nor cold, nor fast, nor slow.... just dead neutral.
I think we can all agree that such a system does not exist.
Synergy my friends.... it's all about synergy.
Edited by TwoEars - 5/15/14 at 11:35ampost #957 of 33215/15/14 at 11:57ampost #958 of 33215/15/14 at 12:02pmQuote:
What do you mean? That purrin will have to keep explaining himself because of comments like the one above?post #959 of 33215/15/14 at 12:03pm
- Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 53 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo (Silver new chassis) SOLD 1 minute ago
- › New Cavalli Audio Portable Amp officially in the works 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › What are head-fi members views on apt-x lossless codec (over... 1 minute ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 6 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 7 minutes ago
- › Louisiana State University HeadFi-ers? 11 minutes ago
- › Computer Audiophile Set Up 11 minutes ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 12 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by JohnPham
- › Chord&Major Major6'13 "Ballad" by kalbee
- › Audio Technica ATH-M2X Mid-size open-back headphones by ahnvx
- › xDuoo X2 by getclikinagas
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2