Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) - Page 61

post #901 of 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoe View Post

Sure, I just don't like having devices cluttering up my desk so the cable is a nice alternative for me. As for USB cables changing up the sound, well, that's a debate for the sound science forum so I won't get into it here, but personally I don't think it's possible.


 



No, that's not a debate for the Sound Science Forum.
It's a chance for the Sound Science Forum to continue ranting against any and all Subjectivism!
post #902 of 1638

It's full of them though I have the same opinion, different usb cables don't do much either than look sexier, I'll try cutting the +5v and see what happens.

post #903 of 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoe View Post
 

Sure, I just don't like having devices cluttering up my desk so the cable is a nice alternative for me. As for USB cables changing up the sound, well, that's a debate for the sound science forum so I won't get into it here, but personally I don't think it's possible.

 



No, that's not a debate for the Sound Science Forum.
It's a chance for the Sound Science Forum to continue ranting against any and all Subjectivism!

 

I'm of the opinion that there isn't much place for subjectivism with USB cables though... it either sends the 1s and 0s or it doesn't. Anyway, if you believe you can hear differences in sound from different USB cables more power to you. Personally I couldn't hear a difference.

post #904 of 1638

yeah. that's exactly what I said! I am not going to knock anyone else but personally I can't.

post #905 of 1638

What is the rest of your chain like after the DAC?  Before I got the OR5 I didn't really notice a difference in USB cables.  In fact it kind of surprised me that I could hear a difference.  I only switched to the Audioquest cable because it was shorter and is less of a mess beside my rack.  After a couple minutes I realized that there was something missing compared with the Belkin Gold.


If you trust Steve from Emprirical Audio he seems to think that length has an impact on quality due to reflections.  I believe it was .75m intervals that provided the best measurements. 


To be honest I have turned into the Audiophile that I originally hated.  I notice a difference in the smallest changes like cables, tubes, USB driver settings.  Perhaps it is my own neurosis, but all I can really do is trust my ears. I have tested some very expensive interconnects that I thought were pretty bad compared with what I already have.  If I am biased at least it is towards cheap :p   

 

Belkin Gold FTW!

post #906 of 1638

this is very high end stuff. the dac is cheap but highly modified. the problem may be that I have a 16 foot cable. that is actually Belkin gold. the aq diamond is in another system and like 3 feet or something. either one sounds fine to me. what does not sound okay is a computers bus power imo. interestingly as far as printer cables go the Belkin gold is the only cable that can carry 100+ feet with amplification.

post #907 of 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapsy View Post
 

What is the rest of your chain like after the DAC?  Before I got the OR5 I didn't really notice a difference in USB cables.  In fact it kind of surprised me that I could hear a difference.  I only switched to the Audioquest cable because it was shorter and is less of a mess beside my rack.  After a couple minutes I realized that there was something missing compared with the Belkin Gold.


If you trust Steve from Emprirical Audio he seems to think that length has an impact on quality due to reflections.  I believe it was .75m intervals that provided the best measurements. 


To be honest I have turned into the Audiophile that I originally hated.  I notice a difference in the smallest changes like cables, tubes, USB driver settings.  Perhaps it is my own neurosis, but all I can really do is trust my ears. I have tested some very expensive interconnects that I thought were pretty bad compared with what I already have.  If I am biased at least it is towards cheap :p   

 

Belkin Gold FTW!

 

Well, as long as its towards cheap, no harm done. I bought the Schiit USB cable, it's cheap, well built and gets the job done.

post #908 of 1638

How is Shiit Modi compared to ODAC?

post #909 of 1638
Thread Starter 

Provided you can get clean / sufficient power to the ODAC, I prefer the ODAC to the Modi. For example, I prefer the Modi from my laptop which seems to have crappy USB power. The ODAC sounded craptastic from my laptop. However the ODAC sounds great from my PC - a little better than the Modi. My PC seems to have a "real" USB port, or at least one with either sufficient juice or power quality.

post #910 of 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post
 

Provided you can get clean / sufficient power to the ODAC, I prefer the ODAC to the Modi. For example, I prefer the Modi from my laptop which seems to have crappy USB power. The ODAC sounded craptastic from my laptop. However the ODAC sounds great from my PC - a little better than the Modi. My PC seems to have a "real" USB port, or at least one with either sufficient juice or power quality.

I have a run of the mill lenovo laptop - how much am i missing out on by using this instead of say a P.C? I asked before about whether the Laptop or P.C matters at all in the chain if you are using a good DAC like the Audio GD7 or something like that. I didn't get a straight answer. Do you know? 

post #911 of 1638

no computer has good usb power. if you want the best sound you need a regulated usb power supply. there are many to choose or you can make one real easy. just put a regulated psu on a Belkin usb hub,tape the cable and it does not matter what computer you have.. this will usually make a huge improvement. will cost $30 and take 2 minutes.

post #912 of 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_man View Post
 

no computer has good usb power. if you want the best sound you need a regulated usb power supply. there are many to choose or you can make one real easy. just put a regulated psu on a Belkin usb hub,tape the cable and it does not matter what computer you have.. this will usually make a huge improvement. will cost $30 and take 2 minutes.

Wow - a straight answer. Thanks. What do you mean buy tap the cable. Sorry for my ignorance. Can you send a link showing what this might look like? 

 

 

Is there anywhere i can read about this in detail?


Edited by magiccabbage - 4/11/14 at 2:59am
post #913 of 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_man View Post
 

no computer has good usb power. if you want the best sound you need a regulated usb power supply. there are many to choose or you can make one real easy. just put a regulated psu on a Belkin usb hub,tape the cable and it does not matter what computer you have.. this will usually make a huge improvement. will cost $30 and take 2 minutes.

Yes, more detail would be helpful.  I've seen expensive regulated USB power supplies out there (iFi, AQVOX), but I'd like to pick up something equivalent for less. I'm assuming that your standard powered UBS hub could be improved on with a better power supply (and other tweaks).  Googling get me this, needs more investigations.  


Edited by StefanJK - 4/11/14 at 3:37pm
post #914 of 1638
This might be a stupid question to ask, but is there a relatively easy way to do A/B comparisons between DACs?

This is pretty straightforward, but I don't know if it seriously degrades the signal or what. With the ODAC, the sound is very quiet and I have to turn the volume knob on the O2 to maximum to get to the same volume level as the Audio-GD NFB-2 and the O2.

^ that's just a cable splitter and I adjust the DAC setting in software


Holy...I didn't know the Audio-gd has changeable DAC filters! I might need to borrow this (it's a friend's unit). XD
Edited by miceblue - 4/12/14 at 4:21pm
post #915 of 1638
You can do it with some pro audio gear. Something with spdif in and 6 spdif out. This feeds two DACs. Then you go to one amp with different inputs and can change one the fly. It's too spendy to do cheaply. You just need a crazy pro audio friend. PM me. One of the Seattle meet regulars has this gear. He set up my PWD and his v800 this way.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream)