Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) - Page 56

post #826 of 1546
Thread Starter 
 
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by XVampireX View Post

So based on the first post, the OP is underrating the Auralic Vega by placing it 8th while other DACs that cost a whole lot less like Schiit Gungnir and Audio-gd Master 7 are better, right?

Can anyone explain? Or is it the "Bang-for-buck" factor where more money gets you more features?

It's weird, there isn't 1 review that puts the DAC to shame like the OP did.

Or the OP is not "underrating" or ranking other higher due to value, but they truly like those sounds of the M7 Gungnir better? Both are also highly rated by many headfi regulars and these rankings are all subjective preferences of the group of reviewers which might or might not coincide with ours.

Having said that I find the write-up highly informative with the commentaries and why or why not they like certain aspects of each reviewed unit and is very helpful.

 

^ Pretty much sums it up. Definitely read the commentary, get an idea of personal preferences (ours and yours) and focus less on the rankings which are based on the averaged personal preferences of 3.5 people. I thought about removing the numeric rankings, until I realized that would be weak.

post #827 of 1546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post

 

Maybe i will have the same experience no matter what DAC i get. I remember Purrin saying that it takes a long time to notice the differences - like 100's of hours. So when i do 

Decide on a DAC, be it the Audio GD M7/ BDA2 or Schiit YGDD   (and have it connected to the DNA Stratus instead of the WA2)   hopefully after spending time with it i will notice the differences in detail and nuance. Even if that never happens it is a risk that i am willing to take. 

 

Spend more time with the DACs, just live with one for a week, and then do a switch. You'll go whoa. Also use the Stratus. The WA2 has a tendency to impart its signature and is not nearly as resolving as the Stratus.

 

As for Twisted Pair SABRE DAC, unless your builder really knows what he's doing and understands the how the TP standard parts sound like, I would avoid. Unless you like the SABRE sound.

post #828 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post
 

 

Spend more time with the DACs, just live with one for a week, and then do a switch. You'll go whoa. Also use the Stratus. The WA2 has a tendency to impart its signature and is not nearly as resolving as the Stratus.

 

As for Twisted Pair SABRE DAC, unless your builder really knows what he's doing and understands the how the TP standard parts sound like, I would avoid. Unless you like the SABRE sound.

good point, to be honest if he builds it, it will be a long wait because he is so busy with other things. So i might not go that way regardless.

I dont even know ifi like the sabre sound. I need to listen to a lot more DAC's to figure that out.

 

Speaking of chipsets do you know if Schiit have released any info on what they are using for the YGGD. Are you in any way interested in that DAC? 

post #829 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

I heard the NAD M51 back in November last year. I had about 2 hours with it on my own in a closed off room. I was using NAD - WA2 - HD800/T1. I was comparing it to my Arcam Rdac. 

Now before hand I had anticipated a huge increase in quality when going from the Rdac to the NAD. I know that DAC's are hard to discern the differences between but I thought that only applied to similarly priced DAC's. 

 

I was under the assumption that the NAD would kick the Arcams ass. What actually happened was, well, nothing really. I could barely hear a difference. I remember at the time being really annoyed and then scared that i had terrible hearing. I just couldn't really tell any difference at all, apart from the NAD being the slightest bit smoother. 

 

Later on when i thought about it i think my time with the gear could of been tainted because i barely slept the night before. When your tired i have found that everything kind of sounds the same so maybe that was a factor. Also the amp i was using - the WA2 maybe is a tad colored for this task so that also could of come into play. 

The whole experience has kind of ruined the idea of getting the NAD for me, but maybe I am being a little harsh and should give it another go who knows.

My interest has moved onto other DACs for now. 

 

Maybe i will have the same experience no matter what DAC i get. I remember Purrin saying that it takes a long time to notice the differences - like 100's of hours. So when i do 

Decide on a DAC, be it the Audio GD M7/ BDA2 or Schiit YGDD   (and have it connected to the DNA Stratus instead of the WA2)   hopefully after spending time with it i will notice the differences in detail and nuance. Even if that never happens it is a risk that i am willing to take. 

In which configuration did you listened to the M51?

 

If it's USB input, believe me, you definitly not heard it at it'a max potential. Not even close. I have a M51 for one year now. I had a good deal on a used one with trial and MBG if I didn't liked it. So I compared it with my W4S DAC-2 in USB configuration. M51 was better, so I sold the W4S to a relative. Soon after, another relative of mine loaned me an Audiophilleo2 (without PurePower) USB to SPDIF converter. Wow! What a difference in performance. I then decided to try the Audiophilleo2 with PurePower. Another BIG step in performance.

 

I know that involve another $1000 but it's simply not the same dac anymore. Much more musical and accurate with fantastic low end with Ap2 + PP.

 

We held a mini meet last august at my workplace (around 12 headfiers were there). Five of the participants accepted my invitation to test the differences in performance when comparing USB direct to the AP2/PP converter, They were ALL floored by the magnitude of the improvment with the AP2/PP combo. This is not subtle at all.

post #830 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

I heard the NAD M51 back in November last year. I had about 2 hours with it on my own in a closed off room. I was using NAD - WA2 - HD800/T1. I was comparing it to my Arcam Rdac. 

Now before hand I had anticipated a huge increase in quality when going from the Rdac to the NAD. I know that DAC's are hard to discern the differences between but I thought that only applied to similarly priced DAC's. 

 

I was under the assumption that the NAD would kick the Arcams ass. What actually happened was, well, nothing really. I could barely hear a difference. I remember at the time being really annoyed and then scared that i had terrible hearing. I just couldn't really tell any difference at all, apart from the NAD being the slightest bit smoother. 

 

 

The NAD M51 has an interesting idiosyncrasy where it uses different op-amps for the XLR and RCA with the XLR being much superior in my experience. 

post #831 of 1546

that's interesting. some dacs are much better on xlr. I prefer xlr where possible anyways.

post #832 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlitun View Post
 

 

The NAD M51 has an interesting idiosyncrasy where it uses different op-amps for the XLR and RCA with the XLR being much superior in my experience. 

i used it with xlr with the hdvd amps

post #833 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


Do you mean it has a high dynamic range, or that it is just louder than the rest? Being louder is actually less dynamic.

I mean that the sound volume seemed to fluctuate more with Gungnir than with whatever else I'd listened to right before it.


Edited by cizx - 3/20/14 at 10:34am
post #834 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlitun View Post
 

 

The NAD M51 has an interesting idiosyncrasy where it uses different op-amps for the XLR and RCA with the XLR being much superior in my experience. 

Of course it does, because I'm using an amp without XLR... 

 

Maybe I can use XLR to RCA cables.

post #835 of 1546

Now that I've spent a bit more time with the Master-7, it's very natural, has nice tonality with piano, has crisp highs, I feel it is too full bodied with my LCD-3 it's passing from full bodied to thick.In some months I might think about the OR5.

post #836 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

i used it with xlr with the hdvd amps

 

I wasn't certain from your post how it may have been set up when you did your demo.

 

When I got mine I hooked it up like I had my previous DAC set up (Matrix X-Sabre) which was with RCA cables so I could do a comparison. I was initially not impressed and thought it was not a huge improvement over the X-Sabre. It wasn't until I did the XLR setup and spent some time with it that I began to see just how good the NAD is.

 

Sometime later I read this post about the output differences and sure enough that seems to be the case. The XLR outs are much more refined and coherent sounding to my ears.

 

Anyways it's a great DAC, and I would rate it above the Gungnir or Master 7 on the listing at the beginning of this thread.

post #837 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlitun View Post
 

 

I wasn't certain from your post how it may have been set up when you did your demo.

 

When I got mine I hooked it up like I had my previous DAC set up (Matrix X-Sabre) which was with RCA cables so I could do a comparison. I was initially not impressed and thought it was not a huge improvement over the X-Sabre. It wasn't until I did the XLR setup and spent some time with it that I began to see just how good the NAD is.

 

Sometime later I read this post about the output differences and sure enough that seems to be the case. The XLR outs are much more refined and coherent sounding to my ears.

 

Anyways it's a great DAC, and I would rate it above the Gungnir or Master 7 on the listing at the beginning of this thread.

so... does it make sense to use XLR outs on the NAD to RCA inputs on the ECS7 amp?  sounds like yes... but I don't know what sacrifices are being made using XLR to RCA cables.

post #838 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by cizx View Post
 

so... does it make sense to use XLR outs on the NAD to RCA inputs on the ECS7 amp?  sounds like yes... but I don't know what sacrifices are being made using XLR to RCA cables.

 

This might be useful:

 

http://www.moon-audio.com/cardas-rca-xlr-adapter.html

 

I have a pair to use with my BM DAC1.

post #839 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlitun View Post

 

Anyways it's a great DAC, and I would rate it above the Gungnir or Master 7 on the listing at the beginning of this thread.


Have you actually heard M7 or Gungnir?

post #840 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlitun View Post
 

 

I wasn't certain from your post how it may have been set up when you did your demo.

 

When I got mine I hooked it up like I had my previous DAC set up (Matrix X-Sabre) which was with RCA cables so I could do a comparison. I was initially not impressed and thought it was not a huge improvement over the X-Sabre. It wasn't until I did the XLR setup and spent some time with it that I began to see just how good the NAD is.

 

Sometime later I read this post about the output differences and sure enough that seems to be the case. The XLR outs are much more refined and coherent sounding to my ears.

 

Anyways it's a great DAC, and I would rate it above the Gungnir or Master 7 on the listing at the beginning of this thread.

when i tested the NAD i was primarily using it with WA2 so it had to be single ended for that amp and maybe that is that i wasn't that impressed. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream)