or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff) - Page 46  

post #676 of 6360
Thread Starter 

Yes.

 

Another example: the PSA Bridge puts a pause of a few seconds between movement III and IV of Beethoveen's #6. That's when the folk dancing part is suddenly interrupted by the thunderstorm. It's annoying when Keanu Reeves, I mean Paul@PSA stops time for a few seconds of silence right before the thunder hits.

post #677 of 6360

I'm thinking about getting an Auralic Vega and playing back my music (100% PCM) converted and up sampled to 2xDSD (DSD128) via USB. Could people, more experienced than I in these matters, please provide some feedback re this idea? Sorry if this is OT from the original post, but there are some great DAC related discussions going on in here. Still in planning stages of DAC purchase with sights set on Yggy but in case that option takes too long, I'm thinking about the Vega as an alternative.

 

Started thinking about this arrangement based on information released re the PS Audio Directstream and DSD - I guess I'm trying to 'emulate'/achieve some of the features in more expensive DACs with the following:

- Increasing sampling rate to push noise further into the ultrasonic band and with the use of the Mode 5 filter in the Vega (-3 dB @ 70 kHz) I should be able to preserve more original high frequency content. As an example, EMMDAC2X up samples all music to DSD128 in hardware prior to conversion. Also the Directstream LPF is apparently -3 dB @ 80 kHz (link).

- Bypass the PCM-to-DSD decoder in the ES9018 chip by transcoding in the PC. There are some thoughts that the integrated PCM decoder may be detrimental to sound quality.

- Hopefully run the Vega in EXACT clock mode to minimise jitter.

 

Thoughts? 

post #678 of 6360
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

 

 

Yeah, I get you on that. That's why I'm hopeful on the Schiit Yggy. 

 

Are we sure this is going to be a R2R DAC ? I believe the topology wasn't mentioned in its dedicated thread.

 

There also is the new Lavry Quintessence (pompous name, just like the Invicta), but then again Dan Lavry hasn't mentioned anything about its topology, it's got 20th century inputs only, X-wing dashboard styled buttons on the front plate, and will probably cost a bomb.

post #679 of 6360

We did an ABX test in chile with the SE outputs of Master-7+Master-8, O2+ODAC, NFB-1.32+NFB-6  and we hardly found any diference between these three outputs, we have to take in consideration that it was a flimsy ABX box with 1/8 input and output, so it was kinda strange.

post #680 of 6360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowglycdb View Post
 

We did an ABX test in chile with the SE outputs of Master-7+Master-8, O2+ODAC, NFB-1.32+NFB-6  and we hardly found any diference between these three outputs, we have to take in consideration that it was a flimsy ABX box with 1/8 input and output, so it was kinda strange.

strange how?  it was a flimsy ABX box.  the sources exceeded its limitations.  I'm sure every car stereo sounds pretty much the same from outside the car with the windows closed, just like every TV looks the same in a video taken with an iPhone.

post #681 of 6360

I'm seeing a trend in this thread of replies falling in one of three veins:

1. "I read what you said, but can you tell me what I will like more in words more closely tailored to me and my situation?"

2. "I like music.  this thread is about music.  I'm thinking about listening to music in one specific way. thoughts?"

3. "this is a waste of my time if you don't test my particular setup.  why haven't you tested my particular setup or the setup I'm thinking about?  I am very surprised that you are not testing my particular setup or the setup I am thinking about.  why are you wasting my time?"

 

it's making me rethink my position on net neutrality.

:)

post #682 of 6360

 

yeah i hate it when people have opinions

post #683 of 6360

ME TOO!  We should be buddies! :)

post #684 of 6360

There is a NAD dealer a couple of blocks from where I live so I have a very new M51 to shoot out against my X-Sabre now. This one has firmware 1.43 which is not documented on the NAD website.

 

I'm quite interested in the NAD as it may be about as far as you can go from the Sabre sound...

post #685 of 6360

How about the 4th type of post which is 'how does a DAC like the McIntosh D100 compare' or is this the wrong thread for these questions?

post #686 of 6360

The McIntosh would be an excellent choice for those who love McIntosh gear.

post #687 of 6360

Does that mean it does not compare to the other DACs mentioned in this thread? Have you listened to it?

post #688 of 6360
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aive View Post
 

I'm thinking about getting an Auralic Vega and playing back my music (100% PCM) converted and up sampled to 2xDSD (DSD128) via USB. Could people, more experienced than I in these matters, please provide some feedback re this idea? Sorry if this is OT from the original post, but there are some great DAC related discussions going on in here. Still in planning stages of DAC purchase with sights set on Yggy but in case that option takes too long, I'm thinking about the Vega as an alternative.

 

Started thinking about this arrangement based on information released re the PS Audio Directstream and DSD - I guess I'm trying to 'emulate'/achieve some of the features in more expensive DACs with the following:

- Increasing sampling rate to push noise further into the ultrasonic band and with the use of the Mode 5 filter in the Vega (-3 dB @ 70 kHz) I should be able to preserve more original high frequency content. As an example, EMMDAC2X up samples all music to DSD128 in hardware prior to conversion. Also the Directstream LPF is apparently -3 dB @ 80 kHz (link).

- Bypass the PCM-to-DSD decoder in the ES9018 chip by transcoding in the PC. There are some thoughts that the integrated PCM decoder may be detrimental to sound quality.

- Hopefully run the Vega in EXACT clock mode to minimise jitter.

 

Thoughts? 

 

That's what I would do if I owned the Vega. Though I didn't think there was a difference between 2x DSD and regular DSD. When I had the Vega in my possession, I ran it via JRMC19 and upsampled all Red Book to DSD to feed the Vega over DoP. As indicated, I got excellent results with EXACT mode, although a good USB connection will be necessary for that. My PC worked fine in EXACT mode. My two laptops did not.

 

Make sure you'll like the sound of the Vega. (I expect the Yggy to have a very different type of sound.) It does tend toward the brighter analytical side. The other two ninjas weren't fond of it. One ninja used an Anax modded HD800. He initially liked the Vega quite a bit, but felt that the brightness eventually wore on him. The other who uses the Paradox or other variants felt it was "tolerable" in terms of the treble, but didn't say much else. I probably liked it the most, but I also happen to run speakers two-thirds of the time.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayaTlab View Post

 

Are we sure this is going to be a R2R DAC ? I believe the topology wasn't mentioned in its dedicated thread.

 

Just an assumption, and if it's not, it would probably have that kind of sound. I've spoke to Mike Moffatt a few times to try to wring information from him, but he only give hints like "they don't use delta-sigma chips for medical or military".

 

For all we know, they could be doing something crazy by making discrete resistor ladders.

post #689 of 6360
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapsy View Post
 

The McIntosh would be an excellent choice for those who love McIntosh gear.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyd View Post
 

Does that mean it does not compare to the other DACs mentioned in this thread? Have you listened to it?

 

FWIW, I did get chance to briefly hear McIntosh's MCD1100 SACD player, and I thought it was pretty good. Probably the best SABRE (I think it's SABRE) implementation that I have heard. It's not in the comparo because I never had a chance for direct comparison and listen conditions were not good.

 

The MCD500 is a dedicated unit and a completely other price class than then D100 though.


Edited by purrin - 3/3/14 at 7:40pm
post #690 of 6360
It is, ESS9016 to be precise, the scaled back much cheaper version of the ESS9018. They are very careful to say things like "The USB DAC utilizes a ESS Sabre 8-channel DAC capable of handling up to 32-bit/192kHz" to avoid talking about the exact chip in use. Also, its headphone output has a 47ohm output resistance. You aren't getting accurate sound from that no matter what headphone you use.
Edited by Maxvla - 3/3/14 at 7:54pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)