Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › DAC/DAP/Amp? Advice needed!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DAC/DAP/Amp? Advice needed!

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hi guys, I need some advice from the community. For backgrounds, I own a LG G2, Mac book and they are what I normally use to play music.

I have a pair of Minera Mi-1 which I have been using for 2 years and I have recently got a pair of Unique Melody 3DD and have recently starting to listen to flac files. (trying to appreciate the difference)

Now I am not sure what I need to do to bring the most out of my 3DD which is a triple dynamic driver CIEM for those that have heard of it.

I have been doing some reading around and I found that people has been saying either get a DAP: so ibasso x50 or 100,AK100 etc Or to get a DAC to help my laptop AND my phone with something like AK10 (?)

Any advice would be much appreciated. I am quite new in this field and would hope to appreciate music better in the future smily_headphones1.gif
post #2 of 18

Before that I think you need to set a clear goal, like do you want a mobile setup or it can be tied down to your computer?  For a beginner computer setup I recommend the AQDF for $100 (v1.2 is $150) for your Mac, or get a decent DAP like the ColorFly C3 ($100-ish) or iBasso DX50.  However, I do advice against spending too much at this point.

post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the reply, I would prefer something that can be mobile as I can always still rely on that while I am back in my room (?) if that makes sense? My main concern is that I am not sure whether a DAC or a DAP would be better. 

 

p.s. I dont mind carrying an extra gadget on me when im out and about

post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneshrine View Post
 

Thanks for the reply, I would prefer something that can be mobile as I can always still rely on that while I am back in my room (?) if that makes sense? My main concern is that I am not sure whether a DAC or a DAP would be better.

 

p.s. I dont mind carrying an extra gadget on me when im out and about

Do you use iDevices or Android phones?  What budget are we talking about here?  Look up the thread about Android DAC/AMP if you want more info, but those don't come cheap.


Edited by DrSheep - 12/5/13 at 10:30am
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 

Budget wise I would hopefully get one around £150-£200, but might stretch a little if the next "upgrade" is significant and not too far away from budget. Thanks!

post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneshrine View Post
 

Budget wise I would hopefully get one around £150-£200, but might stretch a little if the next "upgrade" is significant and not too far away from budget. Thanks!

Then I will stick with my original recommendation of the AQDF or the ColorFly C3.  They are "last gen" products that performs well at a huge discount with great sounds.

post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 

I have just had a look at Colorfly C3 and it certainly looks good. What about AQDF? is that audioquest dragonfly? The only thing I could find is a USB DAC? Is that that one you were referring to?

post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneshrine View Post
 

I have just had a look at Colorfly C3 and it certainly looks good. What about AQDF? is that audioquest dragonfly? The only thing I could find is a USB DAC? Is that that one you were referring to?

That's the one.  It is a DAC/AMP but the amp part is rather weak.  However, for use with low impedance headphones on a computer it is totally fine.  Some people even rig it and use it for iPads too.

post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 

Ermm.. does that mean it is not portable since it wont be compatible with my LG phone??

post #10 of 18

I think it does work if you get an OTG cable

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by urtv View Post
 

I think it does work if you get an OTG cable

And if your G2 has enough power to it.

 

I hate to say this, but at this point your best bet on a DAC/AMP will be the FiiO E18, which is a PC and Android DAC/AMP all in one for about $160 US.

 

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/amplifiers/fiio-e18-kunlun.php


Edited by DrSheep - 12/5/13 at 3:38pm
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 

Right, how about the iBasso dx50? I have just read that it will work as a DAP and DAC for laptop? Will that be an option for me as well? What are your thoughts on that?

post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneshrine View Post
 

Right, how about the iBasso dx50? I have just read that it will work as a DAP and DAC for laptop? Will that be an option for me as well? What are your thoughts on that?

Yes but that's half baked, as it is a good DAP and DAC for PC but not much of an AMP.  All you need is to get the FiiO E18 for your G2 and Mac, then get something like the Neutron Player for your phone for FLAC, ALAC, or any format that you use.  This way it will fit all your needs and within budget.  The only thing is that the E18 is a hot item right now, so some stores might sold out quick or jack up the price.  I am already seeing eBay price passed $220, and that's not worth it.


Edited by DrSheep - 12/5/13 at 6:23pm
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 

I see I see, I have been reading some reviews of people using e18 on LG G2 and saying that it will only work if it has been rooted and I have seen some photos of it together with G2 and I think I would prefer to get a DAP. Looks like I have to look else where? :)

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneshrine View Post
 

I see I see, I have been reading some reviews of people using e18 on LG G2 and saying that it will only work if it has been rooted and I have seen some photos of it together with G2 and I think I would prefer to get a DAP. Looks like I have to look else where? :)

Get the C3 if you want a basic DAP, or the DX50 if your budget allow it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › DAC/DAP/Amp? Advice needed!