or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone? - Page 5

post #61 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post


I'm not seeing an add to cart button anymore. I assume that means they are all gone.

Also for those outside the US, I don't think we should have any issues since TTL is the only place authorized to sell these...just a guess though.

hey guys... january 10th is my 23rd birthday...

post #62 of 744
Seems like an sr60 with brown micro mesh screens simulating that wood look where the 60's honeycomb would be. I only say that because the discription says open back and that could be achieved if they used a screen fabric where it says bushmills/grado. Everything else tells me it's a dressed up sr60. I like the new package though, wish my pizza box was swapped for the wood/clear case of this set..
post #63 of 744
....and after reading the Facebook announcement it seems I was wrong about mesh.

It' seems to be a beautiful woodied 60/80.
Edited by Donovan808 - 12/5/13 at 4:39am
post #64 of 744

Well, I have an SR60i, SR225 and RS1i. So I guess I'll be able to see how the Bushmills Grado fits in.

 

Since Grado tends to use the frequency response and driver matching specs as a way to denote the "quality" of the headphone - even though this is a silly way to do it ( 8 Hz on the GS1000, yeah right) the specsthey have publicized for the Bushmills suggest they are positioning it between the 325 and RS2 in performance (and in price). I'm not saying it will end up there. I'm only saying that Grado's promotional copy/specs suggests they think it's somewhere around that range - not the SR60/80 range.

 

I also would not be surprised at all if they tuned this driver darker (think PS500) instead of brighter like the SR series. Just a prediction. Maybe I'll be wrong

post #65 of 744

Ah damn !!! I really wanted one. Would been nice, since I visited Bushmills this summer, and bought alot of other stuff while at that place. And these phones looks just beautiful! :gs1000smile:

post #66 of 744

Hi guys!  Made a little post about this here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/whiskey-grado-companys-first-closed-back-headphone

 

But there's nothing new in the post relative to the info in this thread.  I mention it because I'm interested in measuring these headphones for my measurement database. If one of you (USA only, sorry) who've purchased it want me to measure it, I'd be happy to provide shipping too and from my lab. You can PM me here or email me at tyll(at)innerfidelity.com.

post #67 of 744

Mine will be shipped by tomorrow.


WOOT!

 

Sorry Tyll, I am in Australia or I would send them your way.


Scott

post #68 of 744
post #69 of 744
Mine just shipped

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
post #70 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan808 View Post

....and after reading the Facebook announcement it seems I was wrong about mesh.

It' seems to be a beautiful woodied 60/80.

 

It could be any model from SR to RS.  However, at $395 and with the fully-wood cups, I seriously doubt that they used 60/80 standards.

 

I signed up for the new stock notice, hopefully they'll get some more.

post #71 of 744
I had a somewhat similar idea back in 2006 when I bought my first SR-60s and wanted to use them outdoors. Recently I started diving into the headphone community for real, and rather quickly combined my passion for whisky with grados in my mind. I'm glad to see that these things actually worked, but the sad truth about using oak from barrels, is that it looses it's hardwood properties to the maturation process as the spirit soaks into it and starts taking components. Of course I'm sure they used relatively young barrels for this.

I'm guessing that this is more a challenge for Grado, and a gimmick for Bushmills. I bet that the real reason they had to make a closed back design was due to accomodating the bushmills logo, and making a can that looks like a barrel (from the side). I'm not saying that the wood properties didn't have anything to do with it, but I'm guessing those were the initial demands from Bushmills.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode View Post
 

Makes sense. Grado is the Bushmills of the headphone world.

 

 I disagree. They definitely the Ardbeg of headphones! Or Springbank. Or... ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
 

Interesting choice in wood.  I guess Bushmills doesn't use charred barrels in their aging process...

 

They definitely do! Everyone does, as this greaty improves the interfacing between the whisky and the barrel. The charring is never that deep unless you go with extreme charring grade (ie. the alligator charring) which is rarely used. The wood is probably from a larger type of casks, maybe a butt or a tun. Alternatively they've used barrels meant for transportation. They're made of thicker staves.

post #72 of 744
I would have thought they were the Laphroaig of cans. They have a unique flavour, which you either love or hate. Rarely is someone indifferent about Grados (or Laphroaig)!

Just getting into my first set of Grados (SR225i). I suspect they will not be my last...
post #73 of 744

Congratulations on the 225's, enjoy them.

post #74 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJG888 View Post

I would have thought they were the Laphroaig of cans. They have a unique flavour, which you either love or hate. Rarely is someone indifferent about Grados (or Laphroaig)!

Just getting into my first set of Grados (SR225i). I suspect they will not be my last...

 

Laproaigh is somewhat hyped and overpriced IMO. That being said Ardbeg is moving in that direction, and have been for a few years now. Even so, both taste and history-wise, Ardbeg's definitely has way more of the Grado-spirit (pun intended). As a little fun fact, both distilleries are almost neighbours only separated by Lagavulin. All three make up the south-shore distilleries of Islay, which have a distinct and highly peated taste and smell to them (that you either love of hate). Laffy's way too closed and heavy, Laga's a bit too commercialized (altho still good) and they both color and chill-filter their spirits, which is a big shame! (minus some special bottlings). I say this because the non-chillfiltered bottlings show the destillate's true potential. Think of it as unmodded SR-60s, maybe even "worse." Go try some Ardbeg. I recommend the TEN and Uigeadail as a great introduction, but not necessarily back-to-back.


Edited by Corleone - 12/6/13 at 10:31pm
post #75 of 744
Thanks. They work really well on 50s and 60s jazz recordings (using the Cyber 20).

I suspect the Cyber 20 is not that different in tonal balance to the MAD Purist HD...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone?