or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone? - Page 34

post #496 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer View Post
 

I'm one of the few as well.

+1

post #497 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer View Post
 

I'm one of the few as well.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post
 

+1

Yeah most disagree. Out of all the Grados I own/owned/heard, these sound like no other Grado to me, glad to know I'm not the only one that hears this.

post #498 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 


Sweet pair of headphones .....congrats.

Thanks I am just borrowing the RS2's someone else on the forum has my V4 Darthbeyers. 

post #499 of 744

I'm still trying to figure out how they can make solid wooden cups out of something like this:

 

 

Unless someone tells me i'm just a dumb ass and know nothing of woodworking (which would probably be true), my conclusion is that the whiskey barrel yada yada is all marketing bollocks and they're just plain lying when they tell you the wood is from old whiskey barrels. When a company tells you they're made of somethin they're not, they are deceiving you. Which alone is enough reason for me NOT to buy them.

BTW, if I cover my RS1 vents with my hands and leave only a bit of the grill exposed, like on the BM, It sounds quite horrid. Seems like a case of form over function. I don't like the direction Grado is going with this at all.

 

Maybe I'll buy the Grado by Dr Dre some day. With solid cups made from stalks of Dre's weed or something.

 

Can someone please make a picture of the back of the BM driver? I'm curious if they put any damping on the magnet, or punched any holes (somehow I've got a feeling the driver will have a black painted magnet and 1 hole punched.)

 

Like this:


Edited by Aizura - 12/31/13 at 5:54am
post #500 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizura View Post
 

I'm still trying to figure out how they can make solid wooden cups out of something like this:

 

 

Unless someone tells me i'm just a dumb ass and know nothing of woodworking (which would probably be true), my conclusion is that the whiskey barrel yada yada is all marketing bollocks and they're just plain lying when they tell you the wood is from old whiskey barrels. When a company tells you they're made of somethin they're not, they are deceiving you. Which alone is enough reason for me NOT to buy them.

BTW, if I cover my RS1 vents with my hands and leave only a bit of the grill exposed, like on the BM, It sounds quite horrid. Seems like a case of form over function. I don't like the direction Grado is going with this at all.

 

Maybe I'll buy the Grado by Dr Dre some day. With solid cups made from stalks of Dre's weed or something.

 

Can someone please make a picture of the back of the BM driver? I'm curious if they put any damping on the magnet, or punched any holes (somehow I've got a feeling the driver will have a black painted magnet and 1 hole punched.)

 

Like this:

 

And though you are entitled to your thoughts a quick Google search revealed to me that those barrel sides are rather thick pieces of wood.

case in point: here what seems like chair made from a whisky barrel.

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTVjYTFhYjFlYTE1YTAyNTEwNTBmMDk3OWMxYmNmMDA1MTAxMDBlN2EwMWYxfHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT1saW5kYWJlcnJ5MTIwMTY5fHxPUklHSU5BTF9FQkFZX1FVQUxJVFlfU0NPUkU9NHx8Q1JFQVRJT05fREFURT0yLzEyLzEzIDU6MzkgQU0=

 

Also these phones are closed back, but are entirely not closed though, they are thoroughly vented as stated many times in this very thread. I will take a picture of the drivers and the insides when I re-cable mine here in a couple of weeks. But as far as specs there is not a single driver that it matches it in the Grado line up. And also by design this Cup will be two pieces likely glued together. So to make two small pieces of wood for the cups out of that barrel is very very very likely. There are my thoughts on this. 

 

And on to your covering up the drivers yes it will sound like crap the driver is clearly not made for a closed/vented back design. I feel these Drivers although not a whole new driver, Something was done to make them sound amazing in this enclosure.  Are they the end all headphone, no but having both the RS2 and the BxG in my possession, I can say that they are very close to the sound of the RS2 with a bit more bass then the normal Grado, not a sloppy bass just one that has more presence then most other Grado's I have heard.  This is a really good headphone that does a lot of good things with the sound but its not perfect.  


Edited by lord_tris - 12/31/13 at 6:25am
post #501 of 744

[CITATION NEEDED]

you haven't read anything posted about these headphones at all, have you?

Originally Posted by Aizura (Click to show)

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aizura View Post
 

I'm still trying to figure out how they can make solid wooden cups out of something like this:

 

 

Unless someone tells me i'm just a dumb ass and know nothing of woodworking (which would probably be true), my conclusion is that the whiskey barrel yada yada is all marketing bollocks and they're just plain lying when they tell you the wood is from old whiskey barrels. When a company tells you they're made of somethin they're not, they are deceiving you. Which alone is enough reason for me NOT to buy them.

BTW, if I cover my RS1 vents with my hands and leave only a bit of the grill exposed, like on the BM, It sounds quite horrid. Seems like a case of form over function. I don't like the direction Grado is going with this at all.

 

Maybe I'll buy the Grado by Dr Dre some day. With solid cups made from stalks of Dre's weed or something.

 

Can someone please make a picture of the back of the BM driver? I'm curious if they put any damping on the magnet, or punched any holes (somehow I've got a feeling the driver will have a black painted magnet and 1 hole punched.)

 

Like this:

 

post #502 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer View Post
The barrels are thick and the cups are made in two pieces and glued together. The driver, I have no idea. Don't care. What ever Grado is using, it works. That's all that matters. 

Looks like my earlier posts referring to this article were deleted following the recent moderation - not sure why:  :confused_face:

 

From this article: http://gizmodo.com/grado-labs-made-gorgeous-cans-out-of-irish-whiskey-bar-1476399898

 

In terms of design, Grado had to come up with a way to turn barrels into earcups that both sounded great and could be reliably manufactured. Early prototypes were prone to cracking and breaking in the building process. To make the headphones sound right, Grado actually had to add mass in the form of a little tuning fork-like wooden piece behind the driver diaphragm to give the cups a little more heft and sturdiness.

 

 

post #503 of 744

Personally, I don't care if the Bushmills are made from old toilet seats, all I care about is that they sound good, and that they sanitize the wood before use.

 

In my opinion they're are only three models from Grado that sound better than the Bushmills, the GS and the PS1000 that's all.

post #504 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

In my opinion they're are only three models from Grado that sound better than the Bushmills, the GS and the PS1000 that's all.

Huge praise! 

post #505 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post
 

Personally, I don't care if the Bushmills are made from old toilet seats, all I care about is that they sound good, and that they sanitize the wood before use.

 

In my opinion they're are only three models from Grado that sound better than the Bushmills, the GS and the PS1000 that's all.

Guess I haven't had enought to drink yet.  Which THREE models?

post #506 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post
 

Personally, I don't care if the Bushmills are made from old toilet seats, all I care about is that they sound good, and that they sanitize the wood before use.

 

In my opinion they're are only three models from Grado that sound better than the Bushmills, the GS and the PS1000 that's all.

I only count two...what is the third?

post #507 of 744
Provably the rs1 lol
post #508 of 744

I'm glad to see that you guys are paying attention, the third ones are the HP1000. Now,  before you say anything, I never said it had to be a current model!

post #509 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post
 

I'm glad to see that you guys are paying attention, the third ones are the HP1000. Now,  before you say anything, I never said it had to be a current model!

 

Thank goodness...I was worried that you lost your mind :eek:.

Please don't let your new whiskey soaked toy distract you from your prize!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

:beerchug:


Edited by parbaked - 12/31/13 at 5:12pm
post #510 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post
 

I'm glad to see that you guys are paying attention, the third ones are the HP1000. Now,  before you say anything, I never said it had to be a current model!

Have you plugged the Bushies into the HPA-2.

Joe looks like he may have enjoyed a few whiskies in his day...


Edited by parbaked - 12/31/13 at 5:14pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone?