or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone? - Page 29

post #421 of 744

Just received the Bushmills, I'm going to have a listen to them later while they are hanging , so the cable straightens out (terrible coiling of the cable), but my headband is in excellent condition, as well as the cups. I'm going to listen to them with the stock pads for a while, then I'm going to switch to the (L's).

post #422 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Just received the Bushmills, I'm going to have a listen to them later while they are hanging , so the cable straightens out (terrible coiling of the cable), but my headband is in excellent condition, as well as the cups. I'm going to listen to them with the stock pads for a while, then I'm going to switch to the (L's).

Dude. I think I ordered mine on the same day and they won't get here till the 3rd! :(

post #423 of 744

Yeah, I received the e-mail last night and they got here tonight, but the shipping box said they came from 20 Jay street Brooklyn, N.Y., but Turntablelabs is located in N.Y.C., I guess Brooklyn is the warehouse. Anyway I live in Staten, Island, N.Y. thats probably why I got them so quickly, (I'm right over the bridge). Maybe you will get yours sooner.

The spec sheet than came with the Bushmills say they are "vented", but I can not see any venting at all even with a magnifying, but then again, I am legally blind.

Right now I'm listening to Four Play (jazz) from my MBP/Magni/Modi combo with the (S) cushions, and they sound nice and warm right out of the box. I'll listen later with the (L's) and the Sony CDP-C801ES/Meridian203DAC/WA6. I can say that initially these are real nice warm, detailed sounding headphones. 

post #424 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Yeah, I received the e-mail last night and they got here tonight, but the shipping box said they came from 20 Jay street Brooklyn, N.Y., but Turntablelabs is located in N.Y.C., I guess Brooklyn is the warehouse. Anyway I live in Staten, Island, N.Y. thats probably why I got them so quickly, (I'm right over the bridge). Maybe you will get yours sooner.

The spec sheet than came with the Bushmills say they are "vented", but I can not see any venting at all even with a magnifying, but then again, I am legally blind.

Right now I'm listening to Four Play (jazz) from my MBP/Magni/Modi combo with the (S) cushions, and they sound nice and warm right out of the box. I'll listen later with the (L's) and the Sony CDP-C801ES/Meridian203DAC/WA6. I can say that initially these are real nice warm, detailed sounding headphones. 

The vents are under the wooden lip.

post #425 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_tris View Post
 

The vents are under the wooden lip.

I'll take a closer look, as much as I can, thanks.

post #426 of 744

You can see the vents here....

 

*

post #427 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer View Post
 

You can see the vents here....

 

*

Thanks for the arrow, I was looking around the inside of the outer of the cups.

The Bushmills are sounding nice right now out of the MBP/Magni/Modi with the (S) cushions.

post #428 of 744

The Bushmills were my Christmas present, from me, to me, and as usual, I got myself the perfect gift.

 

Please don't hate me for saying this, but I'm so please with them, that even if the RS1i, the PS500 and the Bushmills were all priced the same, I'd still choose them over the other two. In my opinion, they strike a better balance between, bass, midrange,and treble, than the more bass oriented PS500, and treble oriented RS1i

 

I realise that the PS500, the RS1i are, along with the SR80i, the models that get the most love from Head-Fi members, and with good reasons I might add. This is just one man's opinion, so as usual, thake it with a grain of salt.

post #429 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post
 

The Bushmills were my Christmas present, from me, to me, and as usual, I got myself the perfect gift.

 

Please don't hate me for saying this, but I'm so please with them, that even if the RS1i, the PS500 and the Bushmills were all priced the same, I'd still choose them over the other two. In my opinion, they strike a better balance between, bass, midrange,and treble, than the more bass oriented PS500, and treble oriented RS1i

 

I realise that the PS500, the RS1i are, along with the SR80i, the models that get the most love from Head-Fi members, and with good reasons I might add. This is just one man's opinion, so as usual, thake it with a grain of salt.

I just got the Bushmills today, and so far I listened to them with the (S) cushions, but I just switched to my quarter modded (S) cushions, not really quarter size, I stamped out the same size hole as the driver with a sharp edged pipe.

Definitely cleared the sound right up, much clearer, they are sounding very nice so far, and this is with the desktop rig, MBP Magni/Modi. Next are the (L) cushions, then the recliner rig with the modded (S) and (L), I really don't care for the stock (S) cushion, I feel it muffles the sound too much for me.


Edited by joseph69 - 12/24/13 at 5:31pm
post #430 of 744

I'm glad you like them Joseph, I should mention that all my comments about the Bushmills, are with the L-cush installed.

post #431 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

The Bushmills were my Christmas present, from me, to me, and as usual, I got myself the perfect gift.

Please don't hate me for saying this, but I'm so please with them, that even if the RS1i, the PS500 and the Bushmills were all priced the same, I'd still choose them over the other two. In my opinion, they strike a better balance between, bass, midrange,and treble, than the more bass oriented PS500, and treble oriented RS1i

I realise that the PS500, the RS1i are, along with the SR80i, the models that get the most love from Head-Fi members, and with good reasons I might add. This is just one man's opinion, so as usual, thake it with a grain of salt.
I'd choose the Bushmills over the PS500 but not the RS1. The RS1 are the only headphones that make me say "wow" each time I put them on.
post #432 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post


I'd choose the Bushmills over the PS500 but not the RS1. The RS1 are the only headphones that make me say "wow" each time I put them on.

I've never heard the PS500, but I'm not one for too much bass like most say they have. My RS1i's are fairly new as is the WA6, and together they definitely WOW me to, but the Bushmills have a very enjoyable right out of the box.


Edited by joseph69 - 12/24/13 at 6:03pm
post #433 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post
 

I'm glad you like them Joseph, I should mention that all my comments about the Bushmills, are with the L-cush installed.

Thank you!

post #434 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I've never heard the PS500, but I'm not one for too much bass like most say they have. My RS1i's are fairly new as is the WA6, and together they definitely WOW me to, but the Bushmills have a very enjoyable right out of the box.

 

At a time when I was looking for headphones with a more intimate presentation than my GS/PS/HP1000 have. I thought I'd give the PS500 and RS1i a shot.

What I didn't like about the PS500 was that the mids were a bit heavy, and since I listen to a lot of female vocals, I couldn't get over that slightly chesty carachter that womens's voices had through them.

 

The RS1i on the other hand, have, I think, one of the most accurate, fleshed out mids of ANY headphones that I've heard. The reason I took them back is something I call the spotlight effect. It was as if each performer had a spotlight illuminating his performance. The result was that I wasn't getting a sence of space between the musicians. Some might call this, a lack of air. Keep in mind though that at the time my references were the GS/PS, and HP1000, wich all have a bigger and airyer soundstage.

 

So up until recently, I was using my HP1000 when I wanted a more intimate sound. But now, with the Bushmills, I have even more midrange proximity. I think that the Bushmills's sound would be hard to criticize at pretty much any price, so at $400, you'll never hear a peep out of me.

post #435 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post
 

Where's the good stuff?

:gs1000smile:

Happy Holidays my friend and to all the Grado-fans...

 

What do you mean?, this IS the good stuff, they'll have to bury me with my vitnage Marantz gear :D

Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Yeah, some really nice stuff you have!

 Is that a JVC RM-70 radio in the background of the last picture?

 

Yes it is, I was about 14 years old when they came out, and I thought thatit was just THE coolest looking boombox, but at about $400 +, they were pretty expensive, so my parents couldn't afford to buy me one. Fast forward 33 years and,  voila!

 

I'm curious though, how did know this?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone?