Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best closed cans? DT-770 80ohm, AKG k550 , Momentums or Shure 840?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best closed cans? DT-770 80ohm, AKG k550 , Momentums or Shure 840?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Ok so been looking at reviews for along time now, and I think I narrowed it down to these 3.

 

DT-770 80ohm

AKG k550

Sennheiser Momentum

Shure 840

 

Will be used for gaming, music and movies. For music will be run on my LG G2 phone. I dont want to use dac/amp etc.

 

I listen to all types of music btw.

 

Pros/cons to these 3? soundstage,bass, sound quality, comfort etc? 

 

Thanks in advance.


Edited by troopa - 12/3/13 at 7:56am
post #2 of 17
I really like my K550s for listening to music but they seem a little too detailed/sparkling for watching movies using the headphone port on my Marantz home theater receiver. For movies I like my wife's Sure 840s better. They have almost as much detail with a warmer and smoother presentation with a bit more boom in the bass. That applies for music and movies. A close friend of mine likes his 840s over my K550s for listening to Jazz (we did a taste test before he purchased - to each his own) Neither headphone has to have a dac/amp to appreciate their sound and they are both comfortable to wear for long sessions.

I can't really comment on the other two you are asking about because I haven't spent any real time with them but I think you should add the Sure's to your short list for the usage you described.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks for input added shure 840's.

post #4 of 17

I have a pair of Momentums and find them quite meh.     They don't do anything badly - they just lack that little something that makes me immerse myself in the music.

 

ETA:   I might be being a little unfair to them, as I am using LCD2s off a tube amp as my reference for how headphones should perform, so take this with a grain of salt.    But it may be worth to look into headphones with a more distinct signature, depending on your sound preferences.   


Edited by vkalia - 12/3/13 at 8:14am
post #5 of 17

As I'm sure you know there is no "best headphone" out of the three.  What kind of sound signature do you want.  I know you said you listen to all genres but what types of music do you think you listen to the most.  If you don't mind a lower amount of bass presence I would recommend the k550s.  

post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post
 

As I'm sure you know there is no "best headphone" out of the three.  What kind of sound signature do you want.  I know you said you listen to all genres but what types of music do you think you listen to the most.  If you don't mind a lower amount of bass presence I would recommend the k550s.  

 

I really do listen to all kinds, but if I had to pick 1 genre probably pop female vocals. But tbh some days I only listen to rnb or hip hop other days classic... Only genre I don't listen to much is hard techno/trance and metal.

 

Also very interested in which would be more suited for gaming and movies.

post #7 of 17

Well DT770s would be very bad with female vocals (they don't have any midrange) K550s have a pretty good sound stage and if you don't mind having lots and lots of bass with hip hop then I think the K550s would be the best option.  Keep in mind that people with smaller heads have a hard time getting a good seal with them.

post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post
 

Well DT770s would be very bad with female vocals (they don't have any midrange) K550s have a pretty good sound stage and if you don't mind having lots and lots of bass with hip hop then I think the K550s would be the best option.  Keep in mind that people with smaller heads have a hard time getting a good seal with them.

 

Alright thanks for the info. I'd say I have an average size head... btw what about comfort ? My scalp seems pretty sensetive so comfort matters alot to me as well.

post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by troopa View Post
 

 

Alright thanks for the info. I'd say I have an average size head... btw what about comfort ? My scalp seems pretty sensetive so comfort matters alot to me as well.

You shouldn't have a problem with comfort as far as the headband goes.  There isn't an excessive amount of clamping force or annoying dimples like the K70xs have.

post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 

Out of all these, I assume akg k550 has the best soundstage... but probably also the least bass or ?

post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 

Going to buy later today or tomorrow, so if anyone has something to add please let me know.

post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 

Last bump :) want to buy today.... so far think I'm going with akg k550 unless someone has a better idea.... What I would have liked from akg k550 though is a detachable or shorter cable , or both :D

 

Also still interested in some more info on how all these compare?

post #13 of 17
If that's the case you might want to drop by Best Buy and check out the new AKG 545s:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/akg-k545-over-the-ear-headphones-black/2355014.p?id=1219073679654&skuId=2355014

They have a detachable cable and the early reviews seem to be favorable.
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbritt View Post

If that's the case you might want to drop by Best Buy and check out the new AKG 545s:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/akg-k545-over-the-ear-headphones-black/2355014.p?id=1219073679654&skuId=2355014

They have a detachable cable and the early reviews seem to be favorable.

They seem very interesting, I am actually leaning more towards these than k550. Looks like they have more / better bass and better for portable use + detachable cable at the expensive of slighty less soundstage.

post #15 of 17

My cousin swears by the K550, but the K545 looks to be similar in terms of stats, so it really comes down to preference.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best closed cans? DT-770 80ohm, AKG k550 , Momentums or Shure 840?