I personally have not gotten a chance to hear the 990s but I will agree they have been said to be bright, and the 880's are from experience. I believe at one point this came up a while back about toning it down with an an amp/dac and there are certain ones that will do that, but I cannot recall the names of them. Moderate amounts of research and you can probably find some amps with a darker sound signature. But who knows if its worth it to set that up just for a specific bright pair of headphones, although dark sound can definitely be appealing to some (including me).
Related Forum Threads
- Which component to upgrade? Last post on 2/4/13 at 10:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best hybrid between DT880 and HD650? Last post on 9/29/12 at 6:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Pro 900's, Beyerdynamic DT880's, or Denon AHD-2000's? Last post on 7/12/12 at 1:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones with good soundstage and decent bass - Q701, DT880, others? Last post on 2/12/15 at 6:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New Fiio E09K and E17 w/ pic Last post on 5/6/14 at 1:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
So, first off, I must say that for 200 dollars (or 170, in my case, for a unit that was previously a store-display model), you CANNOT go wrong with this superb little DAP. The soundstage and...
I bought a pair of these for a real steal (used, for 70 bucks, on Amazon) earlier this month and I am LOVING them more than almost any other purchase I've made in my life. They sound amazing. ....
This is my second round with these "holy grail" of headphones. First time around I was just laughing at it's meager power capability. The sound was good, but not mind blowing. Zero sub bass...
First of all, I’d like to thank iBasso for sending me a review sample of the D14. iBasso have really established themselves as a big name in portable audio devices and after reviewing both their...
Introduction: The whole reason I purchased these was because of jekostas review of the Bette 8MM 1+1 Hybrid: The 10MM version is going to mirror a lot of the 8MM, though I do not have the...
Trying to narrow X-Mas list (DT880 vs. HE400 vs. HD650) - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Headfonia had a great review on [T90] headphones.
Always bear in mind two things about Headfonia:
1. It's a store.
2. Mike likes warm and dark sounds.
I apologize if I've made this any harder. They're all different and they're all very good.
Comfort from most to least: DT880, HD650, HE400. HE400 is the least uncomfortable Hifiman, but it's below average.
Sound: HD650, HE400, DT880.
HD650 has an elegant, all-encompassing sound, with the drawback that it's comparatively enclosed-sounding and veiled. I prefer less bass, but I respect the careful thought that went into it.
HE400 is my favorite headphone for jazz. It's solidly good for rock, but didn't stand out.
DT880's treble picks up the beauty in every sort of string instrument, but it's less full-sounding and warm than the other two.
Looks: HD650, DT880, HE400. But who really cares, so long as it's not red.
Edited by Claritas - 12/16/13 at 1:01am
As I said, on the 880's the treble really can be peaky (with classical at least) can't say for the 990's. The harshness remains even on my V200 amp, which is generally considered as being on the warm side (for an SS amp). I seriously doubt anything in the ss world will be able to really bring down their treble.
With a tube amp and the right tubes (which will probably cost a tidy multiple of the headphones) you'll be able to bring it down but better read up as it's a totally different ballgame (and any impact on that treble will not stay limited to the treble). Unless you've decided that these cans will really be end game for you I'd be wary about selecting a DAC/AMP combo with the specific objective of fixing that treble, that might close more doors than it opens. I would rather look for a different headphone. (and I'd never, ever purchase a DAC/AMP without first having heard it with the cans I'm using, especially not a tube amp).
I second the remark made above about the headphone reviewers: they're great guys but you must be aware that they have a very pronounced sound signature preference (not like they make a secret out of it).
I had the DT-990 Pro and it was definitely on the bright side, nothing horrible though. A little big of EQ will go a long way. EQ is much more flexible and precise than trying to buy a dark sounding amp, plus you will probably be able to lower treble more through EQ than by trying to match the amp. You can go as dark as you want with EQ.
Thanks for all the great input. Since I can't listen to these side by side, I've had to settle for content in this forum and reviews. I think I will be ordering the DT990 Pros. They are about $100 cheaper than the Premiums. I am looking forward to seeing what level of refinements they will provide over my Custom One Pros. Thanks for everyone's input!
Right after I posted this, I found the T90s on sale for $470. I wonder if they are that much better.
Edited by seag33k - 12/16/13 at 2:59pm
- Trying to narrow X-Mas list (DT880 vs. HE400 vs. HD650)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 25 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 1 minute ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › New headphone amplifier from Bryston 2 minutes ago
- › Best IEM tips? 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 minutes ago
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 4 minutes ago
- › Westone W60 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by goodyfresh
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by lin0003
- › Bette 10MM 1+1 Hybrid Wood Black by BloodyPenguin
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by sk2290
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3