Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › On a mission to like jazz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

On a mission to like jazz - Page 4

post #46 of 746

Many thanks for all the contributions in this thread..working my way through them (easiest work I've ever done ;) ) 

 

Came across this tonight and had to share: 

 

Sipping some Benromach (a must try, Scotch lovers) and thoroughly enjoying this. It may have taken 21 years for me to 'get' Jazz, but I can firmly say I've not been this excited about exploring music in a long time..well, since I discovered my father's Hendrix and Zeppelin vinyl. 

 

Thanks again, everyone. :beerchug:

 

I'm listening on a pair of K271, which have been my first pair of reeal headphones. Currently eyeing the 612 for a bit more spaciousness and low end extension. Is this a good idea? 

Sorry for the off topic, back to the music :)

post #47 of 746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabb892 View Post
 

Many thanks for all the contributions in this thread..working my way through them (easiest work I've ever done ;) ) 

 

Came across this tonight and had to share: 

 

Sipping some Benromach (a must try, Scotch lovers) and thoroughly enjoying this. It may have taken 21 years for me to 'get' Jazz, but I can firmly say I've not been this excited about exploring music in a long time..well, since I discovered my father's Hendrix and Zeppelin vinyl. 

 

Thanks again, everyone. :beerchug:

 

I'm listening on a pair of K271, which have been my first pair of reeal headphones. Currently eyeing the 612 for a bit more spaciousness and low end extension. Is this a good idea? 

Sorry for the off topic, back to the music :)

I'd say grab the Q701 and do the bass mod on it. 

post #48 of 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
 

I'd say grab the Q701 and do the bass mod on it. 

Not sure if drinking Scotch and modding cans is a good mix. :eek:

post #49 of 746

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuA1dc1zKzE

 

whilst u are drinking n modding...listen to this :P

post #50 of 746
Thread Starter 

Portico Quartet - Isla

 

Streaming this on MOG right now. I like it. 

 


I've been streaming a lot of stuff on MOG, but so far I've purchased the following on CD:

 

Norah Jones - "New York City", and "Not Too Late"

Diana Krall - "Live in Paris", and "The Girl in the Other Room"

Patricia Barber - Modern Cool

Brian Bromberg - Wood

 

I also have an album from a band called The Aristocrats titled Culture Clash which is kind of jazz fusion-y, and I've had a few albums from a group called Planet X which is also a little jazzy. 

 

Decent start, right? 

post #51 of 746
Thread Starter 

This is interesting:

It's like a mix of dubstep and jazz with female vocals. Not sure what to think of it yet, I'm only on the 2nd song on the album.

post #52 of 746
Thread Starter 

Also just grabbed these today at a local small record/CD store:

Hopefully these are acceptable versions/masters of "Kind of Blue" and "Ah-Um"?

 

EDIT: This version of "Kind of Blue" is apparently the right version to own: http://www.audioholics.com/music-reviews/miles-davis-kind-of-blue

 

Listening now, and it does sound quite nice. Sounds better than I had expected being that it's an ancient recording.


Edited by jasonb - 12/19/13 at 11:26am
post #53 of 746

I assume Mark Wilder mastered those issues of "Kind of Blue" and "Mingus Ah Um" as he has been responsible for virtually every CD reissue of old Columbia jazz records that I have. He's a really good mastering engineer and I've never really heard him do a bad job. Both recordings sound exceptionally good to begin with.

post #54 of 746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Elite View Post
 

I assume Mark Wilder mastered those issues of "Kind of Blue" and "Mingus Ah Um" as he has been responsible for virtually every CD reissue of old Columbia jazz records that I have. He's a really good mastering engineer and I've never really heard him do a bad job. Both recordings sound exceptionally good to begin with.

This version of Kind of Blue sounds good, I'm listening to this right now. I haven't tried the Mingus disc yet, but It does mention Mark Wilder in the liner notes. 

post #55 of 746

This music is legendary..

post #56 of 746
You might want to concentrate less on the 'sound' and more on the music! If I'm not mistaken, KOB is the best-selling Jazz record of all time! Not due to it's audio properties! That said, I own a classic 'six-eye' LP, a new clean re-issued LP, and a CD of KOB! But it's all about the music!!wink.gif
post #57 of 746

I'm very happy to have discovered Michael Wollny recently. He seems like a brilliant musician.

 

 

I've already posted a couple of videos featuring Youn Sun Nah, but here are two more, both absolutely mind-blowing. They are also almost polar opposites. I'm not even sure if the first one even qualifies as jazz, but it is simply too good to not share. The second video more than makes up for it with all the scatting and simply a first-class performance that has to be heard to be believed (just watch the video, you'll see :wink_face:).

 

  

post #58 of 746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hijodelbrx View Post

You might want to concentrate less on the 'sound' and more on the music! If I'm not mistaken, KOB is the best-selling Jazz record of all time! Not due to it's audio properties! That said, I own a classic 'six-eye' LP, a new clean re-issued LP, and a CD of KOB! But it's all about the music!!wink.gif

I was focusing on the music, but I also know that these days there are a lot of re-issues and remasters of music that are done poorly. Just wanted to make sure I got a good master. Trust me, I am enjoying my jazz journey. 

post #59 of 746

Some great suggestions in here.  I haven't been pulling up my jazz collection much lately and this thread reminds me I need to revisit it, and explore the genre more.  

post #60 of 746

 

Check out Cannonball :D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › On a mission to like jazz