or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › On a mission to like jazz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

On a mission to like jazz - Page 27

post #391 of 1299

Next up in my continuing series of jazz artists and groups deserving wider recognition is a great ensemble from that recorded from the mid 1970's through the early 2000s and was made up of some the best English and European jazz musicians: The United Jazz + Rock Ensemble

 

What made the UJ+RE unique was the way each group member was able to put aside their ego and work completely within the "group" concept. Various members provided the first rate compositions and arrangements that were the hallmark of this remarkable ensemble. Add in the fact that the playing was as good as, if not better than, the compositions and one begins to understand why the UJ+RE had and continues to have so many diehard fans.

 

I don't know how much of their music is available today since all of my copies of their records (yes, I have several of their LPs) and CD were bought many years ago but trust me, their music is well worth seeking out.

 

All Music link: http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-united-jazz-rock-ensemble-mn0000289659

 

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Jazz_%2B_Rock_Ensemble

 

Some cover art:

 

And some music:

 

As always: Enjoy!

post #392 of 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline View Post
 

Next up in my continuing series of jazz artists and groups deserving wider recognition is a great ensemble from that recorded from the mid 1970's through the early 2000s and was made up of some the best English and European jazz musicians: The United Jazz + Rock Ensemble

 

What made the UJ+RE unique was the way each group member was able to put aside their ego and work completely within the "group" concept. Various members provided the first rate compositions and arrangements that were the hallmark of this remarkable ensemble. Add in the fact that the playing was as good as, if not better than, the compositions and one begins to understand why the UJ+RE had and continues to have so many diehard fans.

 

I don't know how much of their music is available today since all of my copies of their records (yes, I have several of their LPs) and CD were bought many years ago but trust me, their music is well worth seeking out.

 

All Music link: http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-united-jazz-rock-ensemble-mn0000289659

 

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Jazz_%2B_Rock_Ensemble

 

Some cover art:

 

And some music:

 

As always: Enjoy!

Yet more gold from Ralph! I'm running short on money these days because of you Ralph! ;)===== :beerchug:

post #393 of 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

Yet more gold from Ralph! I'm running short on money these days because of you Ralph! ;)===== :beerchug:


I have some good/bad news for you - so far I've only scratched the surface of all the great jazz that I would like to recommend. There are literally hundreds of other musicians and groups that I could easily recommend:

 

Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath

The Don Pullen/George Adams Quartet

John Zorn's Masada

James Carter

David Murray and The David Murray Octet

The Mingus Big Band

.......

 

But I'm getting ahead of myself and rather than simply posting a long list I much prefer to keep posting them one at time with a brief writeup, some cover art and music samples for each one. I would also recommend trying out one of the subscription music streaming services like Spotify so that you can listen and explore to your heart's content without breaking the bank.

post #394 of 1299
.
post #395 of 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post

.


WTF?

post #396 of 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline View Post
 

And some music:

 

As always: Enjoy!

Thanks a bunch for this recommendation!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post

.

Good point sir, good point.

post #397 of 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline View Post
 


WTF?

Just an iPhone problem.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post
 

Thanks a bunch for this recommendation!

 

Good point sir, good point.

 

LOL

post #398 of 1299

This is a whopper of a performance, the piano player has a great touch - love the solo at 1.54. I think i will be buying her album. ¬

 

 

 

there is something about the drumming on this that i love but cant put my finger on. 


Edited by magiccabbage - 4/6/14 at 3:40am
post #399 of 1299

The drumming is is fantastic. He keeps the pulse while also fooling around with accents and suggesting different time signatures, all the while just keeping it all swinging in 4/4.

Actually the whole band is fantastic.Singer too, Ella, Sarah and Carmen McRae all in in one.

post #400 of 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

This is a whopper of a performance, the piano player has a great touch - love the solo at 1.54. I think i will be buying her album. ¬

 

there is something about the drumming on this that i love but cant put my finger on. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian u View Post
 

The drumming is is fantastic. He keeps the pulse while also fooling around with accents and suggesting different time signatures, all the while just keeping it all swinging in 4/4.

Actually the whole band is fantastic.Singer too, Ella, Sarah and Carmen McRae all in in one.

I listened to interview/show that posted video was taken from and learned that the drummer name is Lawrence Weathers, someone I'm not familiar with but it seems that Ms. Salvant knows how to pick drummers because on "WomanChild" Cécile McLorin Salvant's 2013 release the drummer is the great Herlin Riley. Riley is from New Orleans, the birth place and home of many, many great jazz drummers, and was the longtime drummer for Wynton Marsalis' Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra as well as the drummer on many of Wynton's recordings. Riley is easily one of the top five drummers working in jazz today and based on the video Mr. Weathers is not that far behind.

post #401 of 1299
Any fans of the mid Sixties Miles Davis Quintet out there?
Miles Davis
Tony Williams
Ron Carter
Wayne Shorter
Herbie Hancock
post #402 of 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

Any fans of the mid Sixties Miles Davis Quintet out there?
Miles Davis
Tony Williams
Ron Carter
Wayne Shorter
Herbie Hancock

Are there people who aren't? I've never been the biggest fan of Miles David, but I do like me some E.S.P. I need to acquire it on vinyl actually.

post #403 of 1299

Subbed. My dad has been into this stuff for forever and a day....Was thinking about exploring Jazz stuff today.

post #404 of 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyNutz View Post
 

Subbed. My dad has been into this stuff for forever and a day....Was thinking about exploring Jazz stuff today.

well, you have come to the right place. I'm enjoying some Julian Lage and Gary Burton at the moment ¬ 

 

post #405 of 1299

I think this is the best cover of "John Henry" that I ever heard. Man she has bags of soul!! 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › On a mission to like jazz