Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › On a mission to like jazz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

On a mission to like jazz - Page 21

post #301 of 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post
 

I would sell my soul to see them live one day...I already managed to get my hands on Shibu-Hata and Shibu-Yotabi. Importing them from Japan is no fun at all :/

I like this kind of Free Jazz but other albums are just.....no thanks.

That stuff is too "free" for me :|


I'm confused: do you like "Free Jazz" by Ornette Coleman  (the track in the above video) or do you NOT like it?

 

If you do like it then I have some recommendations for you. Please let me know.

 

By the way if you enjoy track 6 "Space is the Place" on the Shibusashirazu CD "Shibuboshi", which is an excellent uptempo cover of Sun Ra's signature tune, then I strongly suggest you check out some Sun Ra as soon as possible. The Sun Ra CD "Space is the Place" (Impulse) is great place to start. Make sure that you don't get the soundtrack CD, not that it's bad but the original recording is better.


Edited by ralphp@optonline - 2/20/14 at 3:36pm
post #302 of 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline View Post
 


I'm confused: do you like "Free Jazz" by Ornette Coleman  (the track in the above video) or do you NOT like it?

 

If you do like it then I have some recommendations for you. Please let me know.

 

By the way if you enjoy track 6 "Space is the Place" on the Shibusashirazu CD "Shibuboshi", which is an excellent uptempo cover of Sun Ra's signature tune, then I strongly suggest you check out some Sun Ra as soon as possible. The Sun Ra CD "Space is the Place" (Impulse) is great place to start. Make sure that you don't get the soundtrack CD, not that it's bad but the original recording is better.

I actually do not like this Coleman album :)
It's just too much for me.
Same thing with a lot of Sun Ra tracks...

post #303 of 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post
 

Excuse me? Since when does Amazon Japan ship items worldwide? I always thought you need one of these Proxy agent things?

I don't know since when, but as long as I've been their customer, which is a little short of two years now, they've shipped worldwide via a courier service. With many other Japanese vendors that don't ship internationally I've heard you indeed have to use a proxy service, but with amazon.co.jp it's not required. My biggest reason for using them conservatively in the past was that the shipping costs for the first 18 months I used them used to be around €30 for a single CD and marginally up from there if I ordered more (~€1 per additional CD typically). The great thing however was (and still is) that the packages arrived(/arrive) really quickly as I've said, and always in perfect condition due to not being thrown around without any care as is the case with common mail. Since my order in December, however, they've started charging often less than ¥2,000 for shipping to Finland instead of ¥3,000 what it used to be. Also, the EUR-YEN exchange rate is like 35–40%(!) better than it used to be when I first started using amazon.co.jp (€1=¥140 vs. €1=¥100), so now I typically pay as little as just under €10 postage for a single CD as I've mentioned. That is very nice for the service you get.

 

If you google for "amazon japan", the first result at least for me has always been "Amazon.co.jp: In English". If you click that, the most important things on the site will be shown in English, making placing an order a breeze. When creating an account, make sure to look for the option that states you're an international customer, because the form defaults to assuming you live within Japan. Once you've found that the rest shouldn't be too difficult.

post #304 of 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Elite View Post
 

I don't know since when, but as long as I've been their customer, which is a little short of two years now, they've shipped worldwide via a courier service. With many other Japanese vendors that don't ship internationally I've heard you indeed have to use a proxy service, but with amazon.co.jp it's not required. My biggest reason for using them conservatively in the past was that the shipping costs for the first 18 months I used them used to be around €30 for a single CD and marginally up from there if I ordered more (~€1 per additional CD typically). The great thing however was (and still is) that the packages arrived(/arrive) really quickly as I've said, and always in perfect condition due to not being thrown around without any care as is the case with common mail. Since my order in December, however, they've started charging often less than ¥2,000 for shipping to Finland instead of ¥3,000 what it used to be. Also, the EUR-YEN exchange rate is like 35–40%(!) better than it used to be when I first started using amazon.co.jp (€1=¥140 vs. €1=¥100), so now I typically pay as little as just under €10 postage for a single CD as I've mentioned. That is very nice for the service you get.

 

If you google for "amazon japan", the first result at least for me has always been "Amazon.co.jp: In English". If you click that, the most important things on the site will be shown in English, making placing an order a breeze. When creating an account, make sure to look for the option that states you're an international customer, because the form defaults to assuming you live within Japan. Once you've found that the rest shouldn't be too difficult.

Oh wow I did not know. That makes shops like CD Japan a bit redundant.
Thanks!

post #305 of 778
Thread Starter 

This is a great one:

post #306 of 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
 

This is a great one:

 

It's one of The Greatest!  :D

post #307 of 778

I recommend checking out Leszek Możdżer.

 

post #308 of 778

StrangeStrings.jpg

 

Just kidding- underneath is the greatest jazz ensemble in history

220px-Somethin'_Else-jpg.jpg 

post #309 of 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphonatic View Post
 

StrangeStrings.jpg

 

Just kidding- underneath is the greatest jazz ensemble in history

220px-Somethin'_Else-jpg.jpg 

 

What do you mean "just kidding" when referring to Sun Ra. One of the many things that make Sun Ra very unique is his total eclecticism. This willingness to experiment coupled with his enormous output means that are bound to Sun Ra recordings that you hate and some that you really like, if not, love.

 

Here's Sun Ra doing Duke Ellington's theme "Take the A Train" as only he can:

 

 

By the way I suggest refraining from using superlatives, as in "the greatest jazz ensemble in history" without at least qualifying it in some way. Such as "the greatest jazz ensemble in history ever put together for just one recording date", which it may well be. Remember this was never a working group, just a group put together for this one recording date. So calling them "greatest" is a bit of stretch. Cannonball's own working groups, like the one that recorded Joe Zawinul's "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" were all the equal to the ensemble thaat recorded "Something Else". I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm for this great music, rather I am just trying to point out there is lots of really great music out there waiting to be discovered and declaring something the "greatest"' often closes more doors than it opens.

 

post #310 of 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline View Post
 

 

What do you mean "just kidding" when referring to Sun Ra. One of the many things that make Sun Ra very unique is his total eclecticism. This willingness to experiment coupled with his enormous output means that are bound to Sun Ra recordings that you hate and some that you really like, if not, love.

 

Here's Sun Ra doing Duke Ellington's theme "Take the A Train" as only he can:

 

 

By the way I suggest refraining from using superlatives, as in "the greatest jazz ensemble in history" without at least qualifying it in some way. Such as "the greatest jazz ensemble in history ever put together for just one recording date", which it may well be. Remember this was never a working group, just a group put together for this one recording date. So calling them "greatest" is a bit of stretch. Cannonball's own working groups, like the one that recorded Joe Zawinul's "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" were all the equal to the ensemble thaat recorded "Something Else". I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm for this great music, rather I am just trying to point out there is lots of really great music out there waiting to be discovered and declaring something the "greatest"' often closes more doors than it opens.

 

 

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy many of Sun Ra's works. Just a little joke

post #311 of 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphonatic View Post
 

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy many of Sun Ra's works. Just a little joke


The Head-fi community never ceases to amaze me. After writing my previous post I was afraid that you might be upset with me for lecturing you a bit. Anyway I was not upset with your Sun Ra comment, I was just coming to Sun Ra's defense. Plus I'm glad that you are not upset with me which means that you understand my point - there's lots and lots of great jazz out there.

 

Here's one well worth listening to - Art Farmer - Something To Live For

 

 

post #312 of 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline View Post
 


The Head-fi community never ceases to amaze me. After writing my previous post I was afraid that you might be upset with me for lecturing you a bit. Anyway I was not upset with your Sun Ra comment, I was just coming to Sun Ra's defense. Plus I'm glad that you are not upset with me which means that you understand my point - there's lots and lots of great jazz out there.

 

I don't take anything people say on the internet too seriously, and the same goes for what I say. But I always appreciate recommendations and the pieces you showed me were absolutely fantastic.

Anyways, I've fallen for a more mellow sounding jazz, revisiting trumpeters like Nat Adderley (his technique has an uncanny voice-like quality) and Chet Baker. Also, if you know any good Bossa Nova albums other than Getz/Gerbilto and Jazz Samba, I wouldn't mind throwing in a couple more hours.

post #313 of 778

Another Art Farmer fan...

 

post #314 of 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphonatic View Post
 

I don't take anything people say on the internet too seriously …

This.

post #315 of 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphonatic View Post
 

I don't take anything people say on the internet too seriously, and the same goes for what I say. But I always appreciate recommendations and the pieces you showed me were absolutely fantastic.

Anyways, I've fallen for a more mellow sounding jazz, revisiting trumpeters like Nat Adderley (his technique has an uncanny voice-like quality) and Chet Baker. Also, if you know any good Bossa Nova albums other than Getz/Gerbilto and Jazz Samba, I wouldn't mind throwing in a couple more hours.

Check out Cal Tjader, specifically Black Orchid or Breeze from the East. That guy was doing stuff decades ago that cats are just now getting hip to.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › On a mission to like jazz