Helloo everyone, I was recommended to join here because apparently this community is helpful and specializes in audio products. So hopefully I will get the help I need, and FAST because black friday sales are almost over and I'd like to get a deal on a headset before then.
Ok, be patient with me because I honestly don't know much about audio. I love music and gaming so this is an area I'd like to be knowledgeable in. Here are some questions I have/ clarifications;
1. What is the difference between 2.0 and 2.1, apparently 2.1 has a subwoofer, and from what I know a subwoofer is basically bass? Correct me if I'm wrong.
2. Is there a significant difference between 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound? I know most games don't support 7.1 anyway, so is it even worth it? Also, hypothetically if you have a 7.1 headset and the game doesn't support 7.1, does it automatically just use 5.1 or whatever it can or would you have to manually set it to 5.1, and how would you know if it's using 7.1 or not?
3. I remember seeing someone mention 5.0 on a thread, I don't know if that was a typo but is there 5.0 and what's the difference between that and 5.1?
4. Can stereo (2.1 or whatever it is) emulate surround sound?
5. Can you damage a high quality headset by limiting it with onboard audio? I was thinking about getting a good headset and just using onboard until I can afford a sound card.
Ultimately I just want a solid gaming experience. I do listen to music but gaming is more important to me, so I don't know if I should get stereo or surround sound because I haven't had the opportunity to test the difference. Though common sense says surround sound would give me the competitive edge.
The reason why I want help ASAP is because there currently is the Sennheiser PC350 Special Edition $100 off on sale (along with Sennheiser PC360 G4ME) which I could use towards an amp or sound card. But from what I can tell this is a stereo headset, so I'm not sure that is an optimal choice for me. I'm really conflicted between this and the Astro a40s, which are 5.1 surround sound. On the other hand, I also would really like to get a pair of wireless gaming headphones, since I love the freedom of not being tied down by a cord (then again, the PC350's cord is braided, major plus). The problem being virtual 7.1 apparently isn't as good as wired (is it called analog?) 7.1(On that note, another question is all virtual 7.1 the same? So there would be no difference between Astro a50s or Corsair Vengeance 2000?)
Thanks and looking forward to reading your replies. Sorry for the mountain of questions.
Edited by thetechnoobguy - 12/2/13 at 5:39pm