New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Monoprice 5" studio monitors vs?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Hi guys,

 

I was looking into purchasing a pair of studio monitors to use for my desktop and noticed that Monoprice has a cyber monday sale on their 5" studio monitors

 

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&format=2

 

I did some googling, and overall reviews seems to be pretty good for these speakers.  Some people have suggested that these are rebranded M-Audio BX5's, while some say that they are not.  I was wondering if any of you head-fier's here have any an opportunity to try these out or happen to own these and can chime on what they think.  Are they indeed just rebranded BX5s?  If not, how do they stack up against the BX5s/AV40s/AudioengineA2s/KRK Rockits.  I was hoping to stay in the less than 200 dollar range and was wondering if these would be the best monitors in this price range (especially at its current sale price).  Thanks guys!

post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPham View Post
 

I was looking into purchasing a pair of studio monitors to use for my desktop and noticed that Monoprice has a cyber monday sale on their 5" studio monitors

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&format=2

I did some googling, and overall reviews seems to be pretty good for these speakers.  Some people have suggested that these are rebranded M-Audio BX5's, while some say that they are not.  I was wondering if any of you head-fier's here have any an opportunity to try these out or happen to own these and can chime on what they think.  Are they indeed just rebranded BX5s?  If not, how do they stack up against the BX5s/AV40s/AudioengineA2s/KRK Rockits.  I was hoping to stay in the less than 200 dollar range and was wondering if these would be the best monitors in this price range (especially at its current sale price).  Thanks guys!

I've been using the MP5s (Monoprice 5") studio monitors for over two weeks.

So far I feel I've gotten my moneys worth ($132).

To me they are rebranded M-Audio BX5s with minor changes.

The BX5 and MP5 come from the same source, matching specs, not sure if the tweeter is the same.

The screw holes on the back panel match.

I'm guessing M-Audio does not own the rights to the BX5, they just buy them from some source in Asia

And now Monoprice buy from that same source also.

I really do not think your going to find any better in this price range, under $200.

You just need to buy TS 1/4" mono plugs cable to connect to the MP5s.

What source exactly are you plugging the studio monitors into?

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

I've been using the MP5s (Monoprice 5") studio monitors for over two weeks.

So far I feel I've gotten my moneys worth ($132).

To me they are rebranded M-Audio BX5s with minor changes.

The BX5 and MP5 come from the same source, matching specs, not sure if the tweeter is the same.

The screw holes on the back panel match.

I'm guessing M-Audio does not own the rights to the BX5, they just buy them from some source in Asia

And now Monoprice buy from that same source also.

I really do not think your going to find any better in this price range, under $200.

You just need to buy TS 1/4" mono plugs cable to connect to the MP5s.

What source exactly are you plugging the studio monitors into?

 

I am planning to use my NFB 11.32 as my source.  I was thinking of maybe picking up a pair of RCA--> XLR interconnects to connect the lineout rcas of my 11.32 to each speaker.  That should be fine right?  Is there a dif between using the XLR or the TS 1/4"?

post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPham View Post
 

 

I am planning to use my NFB 11.32 as my source.  I was thinking of maybe picking up a pair of RCA--> XLR interconnects to connect the lineout rcas of my 11.32 to each speaker.  That should be fine right?  Is there a dif between using the XLR or the TS 1/4"?

These are the TS 1/4" to RCA cables I use to connect my 15.32 to the MP5s

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CPR202-Dual-Inch/dp/B000068O17/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_img_z

 

I believe the XLR connection uses a special voltage (dual voltage?), so as to allow longer cables.

But as the 11.32 (or 15.32) does not output the special voltage, the XLR connection would not be a benefit.

But I'm far from an expert in this area, so feel free to read up on XLR.

post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
How would you describe the overall balance of mp5s? I know that many people claim that 3 and 4 inch studio monitors are more often than not lacking in the bass department, but do the 5 inch drivers on the mp5s put out a decent amount? Obviously I don't expect it put out the bass of a 10 or 12 inch dedicated sub, but does it put out enough to sound balanced where it doesn't sound anemic?
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPham View Post

How would you describe the overall balance of mp5s? I know that many people claim that 3 and 4 inch studio monitors are more often than not lacking in the bass department, but do the 5 inch drivers on the mp5s put out a decent amount? Obviously I don't expect it put out the bass of a 10 or 12 inch dedicated sub, but does it put out enough to sound balanced where it doesn't sound anemic?


I was ready to buy used Audioengine A2s off eBay, then heard about the "bass issue" with the small 3" woofers, so that make me go for studio monitors with 5" woofer, also studio monitors with 8" woofers seems a little big for my desk.

For me the MP5s have enough bass. AC/DC sounds fine.

I would assume if I wanted better bass I would need to get the Emotiva Airmotiv 4, $300.

post #7 of 7

I recently listened to some tannoy 601a's and was suprised at how good they were for the price, very detailed presentation with pretty good bass extension, however the 501a's sounded very bass light, maybe because it was an almost A/B test its more obvious.  I am seriously considering a set of the 601a as a secondary set of monitors at the price. I would suggest that unless you plan to add a sub at any point then aim for as big a driver as you can afford and is practical for your environment.  I am also a fan a the KRK RP series in terms of value, they were also in my listening test, but I am still undecided if I can buy any this close to Christmas.

 

Put the main point in BOLD

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: