Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best open back headphones for $200
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best open back headphones for $200 - Page 2

post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy7 View Post
 

 

Definitely PC, any suggestions?


Sounds like the Sony MDR-MA900 is a good choice.

Maybe get an Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $26.80.

The older and cheaper the motherboard is, the more noticeable the Xonar DG will improve audio quality.

post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF View Post
 

They are better value-wise, HD800 is still better SQ-wise.

They are not fragile, unless you actively abuse them.

 

I was talking about sound quality.

post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post
 

 

I was talking about sound quality.

 

We were talking about AD900x vs HD800 - not SA3000.

SA3000 has some really bad reviews on Amazon, 2 one-star reviews out of 5 reviews.

post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF View Post
 

We were talking about AD900x vs HD800 - not SA3000.

SA3000 has some really bad reviews on Amazon, 2 one-star reviews out of 5 reviews.

 

I believe we were talking about the Sony as I mentioned the HD800 in comparison.

 

Regardless I wouldn't take any notice of Amazon reviews, better to read reviews on head-fi. Better still to do your own hands-on research.

 

In addition, and to stay on topic... I would say the Sony SA3k, Sennheiser HD600 and Beyerdynamic DT880 are some of the best open/semi-open headphones regardless of price.


Edited by Graphicism - 12/2/13 at 4:22pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post
 

 

I believe we were talking about the Sony as I mentioned the HD800 in comparison.

 

Regardless I wouldn't take any notice of Amazon reviews, better to read reviews on head-fi. Better still to do your own hands-on research.

 

In addition, and to stay on topic... I would say the Sony SA3k, Sennheiser HD600 and Beyerdynamic DT880 are some of the best open/semi-open headphones regardless of price.

 

I sure wasn't. I was referring to the fact that in the Battle Of The Flagships thread AD900 is ranked above HD800 in value.

 

If SA3000 was really better than HD800 (at 1/7 the price), it probably wouldn't be discontinued and replaced with another 200$ model.

I think you just don't like the HD800's signature - it's very picky about the amps.

post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy7 View Post
 

 

Definitely PC, any suggestions?


HifiMeDIY Sabre is a DAC/Amp that sounds great with AD900X, and it's just 42$:

http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=83

post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF View Post

 

I sure wasn't. I was referring to the fact that in the Battle Of The Flagships thread AD900 is ranked above HD800 in value.

 

If SA3000 was really better than HD800 (at 1/7 the price), it probably wouldn't be discontinued and replaced with another 200$ model.

I think you just don't like the HD800's signature - it's very picky about the amps.

 

I listen to headphones for transparency and detail retrieval, the Sony's are in my opinion king. The HD800 while perhaps a better all-rounder because of their desirable bass, simply don't have the warmth and punch [slam] of the SA's.

 

As far as the price goes, that's marketing for ya. Price something up and people find it more desirable. I will say this; the HD800 sounds more like a Sony SA than a HD600/HD650, make of that what you will.

post #23 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF View Post
 


HifiMeDIY Sabre is a DAC/Amp that sounds great with AD900X, and it's just 42$:

http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=83

Thanks for the amp suggestion, it looks like a great startup amp! Would it work on a mac as well? 

post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy7 View Post
 

Thanks for the amp suggestion, it looks like a great startup amp! Would it work on a mac as well? 


Sure

post #25 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF View Post
 


Sure

Thanks BenF, I'll be getting the ATH-A900X and the amp you suggested!

post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy7 View Post
 

Thanks BenF, I'll be getting the ATH-A900X and the amp you suggested!

You will enjoy them greatly!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best open back headphones for $200