or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need help pairing a set of headphones with a LD MKII for wide a range of music
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help pairing a set of headphones with a LD MKII for wide a range of music

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

I'm new to the site, and an up and coming audiophile! Though I am already an avid music lover.

 

Ive been doing as much research as possible, narrowing down my preferences, and learning the terms.

 

The great sound of tubes is what I'm after! Ive decided to pickup a LD MKII. Its in my price range, and will leave around >250$-300$ for a set of cans. Of course if I could spend a little less it would be great, but would possibly spend a little more if it makes a difference.

 

My input will mainly be from my turntable, but I will also be using my computer sound card as well. I listen to a wide range of music: metal, rock, bluegrass, trance type electronic, prog rock, grunge. Well I'm fairly partisan in the metal department!

 

Some of the bands I listen to are: Pink Floyd, TOOL, Mastodon, The allman brothers, old and in the way, sabbath, phaseone, alice in chains.

 

I appreciate any input, I understand this may be a tall order!

post #2 of 8
Thread Starter 
Bump
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 

bump

post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 

How about some headphones great for metal and rock. Possibly decent with the other types of music. So far Ive looked at: AKG q701, Sennheiser hd 600, Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro, and maybe a couple of others. Any recommendations?

post #5 of 8

I'm looking into a similar set-up. As far as my research has shown, the Beyer DT 990 and 880 both like tube amps a lot, so you cannot go wrong with those. I must say however, I don't have any experience with them, so this is based on research. Also, you might not like the tube-sound, so be mindful of that. 

 

Generally though:

 

Beyer DT 990 / 880 + tube amp = a good combination 

 

Hope this helps a little bit :) and if I get my combo together, I'll try to get a message to you about it. 

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by foryourhealth2 View Post
 

I'm new to the site, and an up and coming audiophile! Though I am already an avid music lover.

Ive been doing as much research as possible, narrowing down my preferences, and learning the terms.

The great sound of tubes is what I'm after! I've decided to pickup a LD MKII. Its in my price range, and will leave around >250$-300$ for a set of cans. Of course if I could spend a little less it would be great, but would possibly spend a little more if it makes a difference.

My input will mainly be from my turntable, but I will also be using my computer sound card as well. I listen to a wide range of music: metal, rock, bluegrass, trance type electronic, prog rock, grunge. Well I'm fairly partisan in the metal department!

Some of the bands I listen to are: Pink Floyd, TOOL, Mastodon, The allman brothers, old and in the way, sabbath, phaseone, alice in chains.

I appreciate any input, I understand this may be a tall order!

The AKG K612 Pro (120-Ohm) sometimes goes on sale for $160.

Beyer DT880 Pro 250-Ohm will be good for everything.

Beyer DT990 Pro 250-ohm if you like a lot of bass & treble.

DT880/DT990 600-Ohm versions are only slightly better then the 250-Ohm version, and have a big mark up, best to find used ones for a good price.

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePCCH View Post

I'm looking into a similar set-up. As far as my research has shown, the Beyer DT 990 and 880 both like tube amps a lot, so you cannot go wrong with those. I must say however, I don't have any experience with them, so this is based on research. Also, you might not like the tube-sound, so be mindful of that. 

Generally though:

Beyer DT 990 / 880 + tube amp = a good combination 

Hope this helps a little bit smily_headphones1.gif and if I get my combo together, I'll try to get a message to you about it. 

That mirrors what ive been reading too. Hopefully the tube Sound will be everything I'm looking for! From the few tube amps ive heard, sounded really interesting. Thanks for the input, and look forward to the message!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

The AKG K612 Pro (120-Ohm) sometimes goes on sale for $160.
Beyer DT880 Pro 250-Ohm will be good for everything.
Beyer DT990 Pro 250-ohm if you like a lot of bass & treble.
DT880/DT990 600-Ohm versions are only slightly better then the 250-Ohm version, and have a big mark up, best to find used ones for a good price.

I appreciate the input! Let's say i ended up with the 600ohm version 990s, would the LD MKII have enough power for these?
Edited by foryourhealth2 - 12/8/13 at 8:44pm
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
So fast forward. I am the proud owner of a set of DT990 600ohm cans, and a LD MKII!!! I also rolled in a pair of 6ZH1P-EV tubes to start out with.

Let me tell you, everything sounds awesome! I set everything up, and got about 30 minutes time with the stock tubes, which sounded great to me. Definitely had some deficiencies, but they weren't broken in either. I have about 3 hours now on the 6ZH1P-EV tubes. At first they sounded really bright, but after an hour or so they got a lot better.

Honestly, im really impressed with it! I'm away for the holidays, and the only source i have is a cheap dvd/cd player for testing. I can't wait to see what its going to be like when I can get this hooked up to my equipment at home!

I'll add too, I purchased the mkii through LD's ebay store. Everything went great, and shipping was reasonably fast! The cans came from another ebay store, picked them up for about 275$

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need help pairing a set of headphones with a LD MKII for wide a range of music