Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best portable headphones for 20-40 USD?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best portable headphones for 20-40 USD?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I'm trying to find a pair of headphones for my brother for Christmas. I'm thinking of a pair of jvc's or panasonic's.
post #2 of 11

Look into the Koss Porta Pro headphones.

post #3 of 11

The Philips Citiscape Downtown are pretty damn good for about $30 on Amazon.

post #4 of 11

I would go for some Panasonic HTX7s :)

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 

How would those phones compare to the Sennheiser 419's and the Superlux 681 HD. I currently own the Superlux 681's, and I want to get him omething around the same price range with better sound.

post #6 of 11

HD419s are a really nice pair of over-ears for under 40 bucks.  Portapros are probably better sound quality wise, but they are on-ears, open (will leak lots of sound), and its headband design may snag some hair.  Both of them trump the Philips Downtown and Panasonic HTX7 in my opinion (I've owned all 4 of these headphones).

post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPham View Post
 

HD419s are a really nice pair of over-ears for under 40 bucks.  Portapros are probably better sound quality wise, but they are on-ears, open (will leak lots of sound), and its headband design may snag some hair.  Both of them trump the Philips Downtown and Panasonic HTX7 in my opinion (I've owned all 4 of these headphones).

I still have a pair of porta pros, somewhere in a drawer. So you had to remind me of getting my hair pulled out...:eek:

post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I still have a pair of porta pros, somewhere in a drawer. So you had to remind me of getting my hair pulled out...:eek:

LOL, yea sorry!  It's kind of a shame too because I honestly loved the sound signature of the portapros.  I'm sure you can probably just wrap some temporary headband  to prevent snagging.  I use to choose my pair of PX100s over my Portapros for this very reason, but it seems that Sennheiser greatly increased the price of the new PX100's to the point where I can no longer recommend them.

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPham View Post
 

LOL, yea sorry!  It's kind of a shame too because I honestly loved the sound signature of the portapros.  I'm sure you can probably just wrap some temporary headband  to prevent snagging.  I use to choose my pair of PX100s over my Portapros for this very reason, but it seems that Sennheiser greatly increased the price of the new PX100's to the point where I can no longer recommend them.

I've gone upscale. HD600 at home and a HD558 at the office. I find that the leakage from the HD558 to be small enough not to disturb those around me, luckily there's plenty of room around me.

I remember, many many years ago, when I picked up the porta pros, I thought, "Gawd these are oogly, but they sound alright."

post #10 of 11
JVC HA-S400

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-affordable-carbon-nanotube-cans-for-the-masses
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 

These are probably what i will get unless the sennheiser 519 lower in price.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best portable headphones for 20-40 USD?