So these are both the headphones in my price range. I plan on buying an amp and dac, the schiit magni and modi, because those are affordable too. I am used to using sennheiser hd588 headphones with the foam mod, and I just want to upgrade. I listen to a lot of varying types of music from ambient, slowcore, post rock, to post punk and folk, to emo, screamo, death metal, black metal and death metal. Not sure if that really matter what I listen to in this case with such ridiculously nice headphones. If I don't get any replies I think I'm just gonna go for the sennheiser hd600. Thanks
Related Forum Threads
- Mid range difference between HE-400 and HD 600 Last post on 2/18/14 at 6:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD600 + Extended Bass + Larger Soundstage = ? Last post on Today at 7:25 pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- [Request] Suggestions for desktop DAC / Amp (HD600, IEMs, desktop speakers) Last post on 1/4/14 at 11:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- best headphone amp for the sennheiser hd600 or hifiman he400? Last post on 12/3/13 at 12:50pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD600 vs Hifiman HE400 and what is the best amp for either of these? Last post on 12/4/13 at 1:25pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
I've had Mentor for nearly a month before selling it and JH16fp (first deciding to sell Mentor, then putting it on hold, then selling JH, then finally selling Mentor) and thought I'd share my...
When my 2 year old DBA02 mkii's lost left channel signal strength, I needed a replacement, pronto. I took note of some good sounding <$100 IEMs from |joker|'s list and headed off to the nearest...
Hifiman HE 400 vs Sennheiser HD 600post #1 of 711/30/13 at 5:43amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 711/30/13 at 9:08am
Do a search in google, there are a lot of threads asking this exact question already. And also do a search within the HE-400 thread and the HD600 threads, tons of people already asked and compared these two there.
I will add though, in case you don't already know, the HE-400's are $100 off this weekend. There are some nice discounts for the HD600 too, but not as significant a cut. Good time to buypost #3 of 711/30/13 at 9:29amThread Starterpost #4 of 711/30/13 at 9:37am
Can't speak for the HD600 cos i dont own them. However, the HE-400 is easy to drive; it runs well off my Fiio E10 (I even left it at low gain and had more volume than i needed.), bass was tight and well extended. Didnt notice any significant differences when i tried it with some more powerful amplifiers at a local shop.post #5 of 711/30/13 at 9:58amThread Starterpost #6 of 711/30/13 at 10:59amThread Starterpost #7 of 712/1/13 at 4:49am
Considering the kind of music you'll be listening to, I heartily recommend the HE-400s.
A magni/modi will drive it just fine. But as another headfier has informed me, you'll want a headphone amp that can output a lot of power. The HE-400s are really best suited to solid state amps; the HD-600s can do both solidstate, tube amps,and hybrids.
- Hifiman HE 400 vs Sennheiser HD 600
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 16 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 1 minute ago
- › Album art game 4 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 4 minutes ago
- › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp 4 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information... 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 7 minutes ago
- › Fidue, New IEM company from china with some promising models... 8 minutes ago
- › CEntrance Dacport 8 minutes ago
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude