Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction - Page 27

post #391 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by firev1 View Post
 

Here are my two cents worth for my findings with my IM70 >50hrs at least.

 

Bass: Slams hard and very physical, not overblown and does not obscure the mids.

Mids: Very nice, sounds correct to say the least

Treble: rough, it is not the strong point of this IEM to say the least. Lacks air.

Soundstage: Very closed sounding to me compared to say, a CK100

Detail: Not a particularly revealing IEM but clear sounding enough for me, greyish blackground that does not work well with piano recordings in a quiet room. Very forgiving IEM. 

 

Since the bass and mids integrate well, they work well with to reproduce the electric guitars low notes and growl in Bad Horsie by Steve Vai. You would be hard pressed to find an IEM with such tactile bass(not overblown but with dynamics) 


Nice impressions. I agree with you generally. I don't find the treble rough but I agree they're not this IEM's strong point. Totally agree about piano recordings. They somehow just don't seem to produce a very natural sound with piano. It gets a bit thick and muddy, not open and clear.

 

For me the soundstage is closed, in a way, which I think is caused by the thickness of the sound, but at the same time it's pretty wide, or large. I don't know if that makes sense.

post #392 of 510

Check out the awesome bass rumble on these from the organ and deep voices.

 

http://youtu.be/r4WlNj1TTqA

 

Throughout the whole album, but especially in the first two tracks and then the last one, particularly the last 10 minutes or so.


Edited by delmonte - 3/18/14 at 12:49pm
post #393 of 510

Sorry wrong thread.



 


Edited by ozkan - 3/19/14 at 3:37pm
post #394 of 510

Hi guys. I will be joining the club. Just ordered IM70 for myself. I have a question, because my girlfriend is tormented between IM70 and Panasonic's RP-HJE900 which can be found in white version. Can you compare them, please.

post #395 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by yavormoskov View Post
 

Hi guys. I will be joining the club. Just ordered IM70 for myself. I have a question, because my girlfriend is tormented between IM70 and Panasonic's RP-HJE900 which can be found in white version. Can you compare them, please.

Can I ask where you ordered them from?

post #396 of 510

I ordered them from amazon.co.jp for 10800 yen which is around 105 $ but I bought replacement cord as well. First you need to get registered with tenso.com. It is great shipment forwarding service. It is going to give you japanese address (their warehouse). After that you have to complete amazon.co.jp registration and when you pay to enter the tenso address they provided you with. Tenso are really cheap (http://www.tenso.com/en/guide/fee/index.html)  and there is no way you can find them for cheaper than this combination tenso.com + amazon.co.jp. I hope I was helpful :)


Edited by yavormoskov - 3/21/14 at 11:01am
post #397 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by yavormoskov View Post
 

I ordered them from amazon.co.jp for 10800 yen which is around 105 $ but I bought replacement cord as well. First you need to get registered with tenso.com. It is great shipment forwarding service. It is going to give you japanese address (their warehouse). After that you have to complete amazon.co.jp registration and when you pay to enter the tenso address they provided you with. Tenso are really cheap (http://www.tenso.com/en/guide/fee/index.html)  and there is no way you can find them for cheaper than this combination tenso.com + amazon.co.jp. I hope I was helpful :)

Yeah I already use Tenso, thanks for letting me know where you bought it from though :smile:

post #398 of 510

IM70 ordered from amazon.jp via Tenso :smile:

post #399 of 510

i'll be in the game too soon, a friend in Japan ships them directly to me! :beerchug:

post #400 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmonte View Post
 


I will write out some detailed impressions with specific examples for violin a bit later. Right now I will say that before burn-in these were absolutely awful for violin and as a violinist it was disappointing. Now they have improved a lot and in general are really good. There may still be a slight veil on violin, but I'm not really sure... that could depend on the recording. I'll address that later. 

 

I will say that specifically with symphonies, where you have a whole violin section as opposed to a solo, they sound fantastic now. In the beginning I swear, it's as if they weren't there. All I heard was a soup of bass and absolutely no articulation or brilliance in the violins. Interestingly, the upper woodwinds (flute, oboe) sounded okay, but not the violins. But now, the bass no longer overpowers them and they are up front with a lot of power and warmth but articulation and clarity as well. And the bass continues to hit hard and deep, but in its right place.

 

Violin solos and more importantly, solo violin with orchestra, are a different matter and I'll go into detail about those later.

For a violin I really, really like TDK IE800.

post #401 of 510

do you guys know which (or if) aftermarket cable could fit these? (pinwise i mean.....etc? )


Edited by whoever - 3/25/14 at 8:54am
post #402 of 510
Amazon.co.jp sells three types of replacement cables. Regular, the one with mic and heavy duty one as well.
post #403 of 510

Planning to buy this soon, but before that is the treble harsh like XBA-30 / W3 / W30? as in prominent and peaky treble, unlike that FXT90 which done great job avoiding the harsh cymbals. I have sensitive ears to that "tizzing" sound, just to let you know. 

post #404 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandasaputra View Post
 

Planning to buy this soon, but before that is the treble harsh like XBA-30 / W3 / W30? as in prominent and peaky treble, unlike that FXT90 which done great job avoiding the harsh cymbals. I have sensitive ears to that "tizzing" sound, just to let you know. 

xba30 was far from harsh like the xba3 was. they were very very smooth, a bassy version of xba3.

post #405 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyostrow View Post
 

xba30 was far from harsh like the xba3 was. they were very very smooth, a bassy version of xba3.

I felt that the XBA30 was still slightly harsh. Quite prominent treble as opposed to IM50. But generally a good presentation in its own rights featuring its own sound signature.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction