Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction - Page 9

post #121 of 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0p0popo View Post
 

can anyone compare IM70 with CKS1000?

 

 

I did earlier. Please do a search.

post #122 of 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post


I did earlier. Please do a search.

I was wondering this too and have searched this thread but can't find a comparison with the CKS1000.
post #123 of 613

Okay. I wrote like December 3. I pretty hold to everything I stated. I would say the IM70 is just a tad shy of being a basshead phone (bas is very strong, but the mids and highs balance it out). I feel more balanced than the typical basshead earphone (especially after significant burn in).:

 

 

Okay, ATH-IM70 vs. ATH-CKS1000:

 

Both are full sounding, but the IM70 how sound spectrum is more forward, yet the soundstage sounds a bit wider than the CKS1000. The CKS1000's mids are a somewhat recessed compared to the Im70.

 

The IM70 has an airier sound than the CKS1000. Remember I said earlier that the IM70 is an "almost basshead" iem? Well the CKS1000 is DEFINITELY a basshead  iem. You clearly hear the difference, But where the CKS1000 gives you thicker bass, it also gives you notes that are a bit syrupy and muddy. It has excellent detail, but it's pushing toward muddy.

 

The IM70, on the other hand, is airier and breathes better throughout the whole sound spectrum. The IM70 is more balanced in its sound, where the CKS1000 is unique in how it throws sound into your ear. Some instruments sound clearly out of your head. The IM70 doesn't do that, but it give a rich full airy sound within your ears. So both may be equal in fullness of sound, but throw the sound into your ears in their own unique way. I think the CKS1000 may be technically superior than the IM70, but the new AT is funner and easier on the ears to listen too. The CKS1000 gives you thick notes, but it makes you pay attention to the bass. In contrast, the bass is deep and rich in the IM70, but it doesn't demand that you pay attention to it as the bass does in the CKS1000. You can appreciate the whole sound better with the IM70. And the IM70 is definitely more mid-focused. 

 

I haven't listened to the CKS1000 in awhile, and almost forgot how good it really is, but it's a basshead earphone. You're a basshead, this is one of the best to own. The IM70  IS NOT a basshead earphone, but it happens to have some terrific bass. The CKS1000 pushes into a bit of muddiness compared to the IM70. This will come down to sound preference, because really to my ears is not better than the other.They're both excellent, but I prefer the more open and airy IM70. I think technically the CKS1000 is a bit more superior. Drums and acoustic guitars sound wonderful with CKS1000. Strings, electric guitars, piano, and horns sound wonderful from the IM70. Vocals are nice in both (more forward in the CKS100). I think imaging is better in the CKS1000, but instrument separation may be better in the IM70. What's the difference? Imaging is more about where the instruments are placed than separation (which is more about the space surrounding the instruments). So both are great for different reasons, which makes them nearly a tie. This is more about how good the IM70 is than how bad the CKS1000 is (and the CKS1000 isn't by any stretch of the imagination bad).

 

With the Monster hybrid tips the IM70 is somewhat more refined than the CKS1000.

post #124 of 613
Wow thanks for your impressions there smile.gif The IM70's seem great.

Just gotta decide between the IM70 and the MA750. I like the sound signature of my CKN70's but I'm looking for an overall, more refined upgrade on those, especially in the bass (quantity and quality) but not sure which one to go for. The CKS1000 has been in my thoughts for a while but the IM70 and MA750 are cheaper and I'm assuming both are nearly or just as good so...
Edited by Gee Simpson - 1/8/14 at 11:07am
post #125 of 613

Have anyone tried pairing the IM50/70 with a Sansa Clip+? How's the combination?

post #126 of 613

Can you compare about
brainwavz m3 ?

post #127 of 613

The IM70 is much more refined than the M3's in all areas.

post #128 of 613

Is the IM70 or IM50 more suitable for sound monitoring? Why?

post #129 of 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post
 

Okay. I wrote like December 3. I pretty hold to everything I stated. I would say the IM70 is just a tad shy of being a basshead phone (bas is very strong, but the mids and highs balance it out). I feel more balanced than the typical basshead earphone (especially after significant burn in).:

 

 

Okay, ATH-IM70 vs. ATH-CKS1000:

 

Both are full sounding, but the IM70 how sound spectrum is more forward, yet the soundstage sounds a bit wider than the CKS1000. The CKS1000's mids are a somewhat recessed compared to the Im70.

 

The IM70 has an airier sound than the CKS1000. Remember I said earlier that the IM70 is an "almost basshead" iem? Well the CKS1000 is DEFINITELY a basshead  iem. You clearly hear the difference, But where the CKS1000 gives you thicker bass, it also gives you notes that are a bit syrupy and muddy. It has excellent detail, but it's pushing toward muddy.

 

The IM70, on the other hand, is airier and breathes better throughout the whole sound spectrum. The IM70 is more balanced in its sound, where the CKS1000 is unique in how it throws sound into your ear. Some instruments sound clearly out of your head. The IM70 doesn't do that, but it give a rich full airy sound within your ears. So both may be equal in fullness of sound, but throw the sound into your ears in their own unique way. I think the CKS1000 may be technically superior than the IM70, but the new AT is funner and easier on the ears to listen too. The CKS1000 gives you thick notes, but it makes you pay attention to the bass. In contrast, the bass is deep and rich in the IM70, but it doesn't demand that you pay attention to it as the bass does in the CKS1000. You can appreciate the whole sound better with the IM70. And the IM70 is definitely more mid-focused. 

 

I haven't listened to the CKS1000 in awhile, and almost forgot how good it really is, but it's a basshead earphone. You're a basshead, this is one of the best to own. The IM70  IS NOT a basshead earphone, but it happens to have some terrific bass. The CKS1000 pushes into a bit of muddiness compared to the IM70. This will come down to sound preference, because really to my ears is not better than the other.They're both excellent, but I prefer the more open and airy IM70. I think technically the CKS1000 is a bit more superior. Drums and acoustic guitars sound wonderful with CKS1000. Strings, electric guitars, piano, and horns sound wonderful from the IM70. Vocals are nice in both (more forward in the CKS100). I think imaging is better in the CKS1000, but instrument separation may be better in the IM70. What's the difference? Imaging is more about where the instruments are placed than separation (which is more about the space surrounding the instruments). So both are great for different reasons, which makes them nearly a tie. This is more about how good the IM70 is than how bad the CKS1000 is (and the CKS1000 isn't by any stretch of the imagination bad).

 

With the Monster hybrid tips the IM70 is somewhat more refined than the CKS1000.

The ATH sound meant the highs were a tad much for me on the cks1000, how did the im70 fair in that regard?

post #130 of 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyostrow View Post

The ATH sound meant the highs were a tad much for me on the cks1000, how did the im70 fair in that regard?

I don't know yet, but as soon as they arrive from Japan, I can tell you.
post #131 of 613

Anyone mind doing a comparison between this and the RHA MA750i? Looking to get either one of them soon...

post #132 of 613

Eric10, 

you rank the KEF M200 above the Ath-im70.

Since I have the m200, I am quite interested in a small comparsion. ;)

The Soundstage and Detail/resolution would interest me.

post #133 of 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPICFAILXD View Post

Anyone mind doing a comparison between this and the RHA MA750i? Looking to get either one of them soon...

Same here, can't decide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Simpson View Post

Wow thanks for your impressions there smile.gif The IM70's seem great.

Just gotta decide between the IM70 and the MA750. I'm looking for an upgrade to my CKN70's especially in the bass (quantity) and mid range but not sure which one to go for. The CKS1000 has been in my thoughts for a while but the IM70 and MA750 are cheaper and I'm assuming both are nearly or just as good so...

Edited by Gee Simpson - 1/6/14 at 9:05am
post #134 of 613

Just picked up a pair of IM70s yesterday, and have been listening to them all day today (at the risk of missing important phone calls, death threats from colleagues etc). 

 

Let me caveat all this by saying how much of a fan of dynamic drivers I am - I've got FS Atrios (2010 model), GR02, ASG-1, AS-2 (rhodium bling edition), Shure SE215SPE. Rotate regularly between the AS-2 and the SE215SPE (which I use mainly for running and bedtime listening cos I won't cry too much if I crushed them in my sleep :p).

 

The IM70 occupies a very nice spot between my SE215SPE and AS-2. It's got a really fantastic, wide soundstage - wider than the AS-2, actually (A/Bing them occasionally today). The IM70 also appears to produce more bass than the AS-2, although I reckon the AS-2 goes deeper and tighter than the IM70. Treble is relaxed, organic in the IM70, as opposed to sparkly-spangly in the AS-2. Midrange is punchy, organic (there's that word again), although mid-heavy mixes will become difficult to listen to. Listening to The Pedro Martinez Group now (eponymous album) and there's a midrangey conga in the left channel that's just short of painful to hear. Otherwise, I reckon this IEM handles all genres well, and with the requisite aplomb to make listening an enjoyable experience.

 

I'd rank the AS-2 over the IM70 though, for fit (apples and oranges, I know), clarity and overall SQ. Haven't A/B'd with the SE215SPE yet, but offhand, soundstage is definitely wider, treble a bit more present. Have to take a closer listen to do a comparison of the low end though.

 

The IM70 definitely, definitely holds its own against the AS-2, although the ASG-2 is another matter entirely... don't have one on hand for A/B, but based on my poor memory the ASG-2 should be more sparkly and have more bass thump than the IM70. But only just. 

 

I reckon I'm gonna have a real hard time deciding between using the IM70 and AS-2 before I leave the house every morning...

 

Have had some issues with getting a good fit with the IM70 - like the ASG-1, these guys are definitely sensitive to positioning, and a bit of mis-alignment will result in an overly muddy presentation. I've got huge ear canals (odd since I'm not a big guy at all), hence my preference for customs. The largest eartips squeeze in just OK for me, but took some time for me to get the right insertion angle and depth. YMMV, of course. 

 

Bottom line: the IM70 delivers a fun, organic sound signature, a surprisingly wide soundstage, for a ridiculously low price (listing in-store at S$138, probably around US$110 / 80Euro). I'd go with the OP's contention that the low price tag is highly deceptive - this IEM could have listed for double the price and no one would have batted an eyelid. The price-performance ratio for this IEM is definitely off the charts here.

post #135 of 613
I had the IM70 on order, but ended up canceling last second, when KEF decided to pony up and send me a replacement M200. Since I'll be getting the M200 back, having the IM70 right now is overkill, plus the M200 is technically superior. Still...I'd love to try these one day. Maybe when they offer a color other than red?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction