Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best headphones for Classical music?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best headphones for Classical music? - Page 2

post #16 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrasdesoria View Post
 

Actually, I would go for a used Stax with an energizer, if you have an amplifier at home anyway. You may have to shell out a bit more than 200, but detail, speed and natural sounding soundprind in spades. Simply, the best option, according to my experience, for classical music. Not even the mighty HD800 comes close to an old stax in fidelity of timbre, details and speed (microdynamism). 

I initially wanted an electrostatic, but it's simply not in my price range. I can't find a pair of Stax for less than $400, and that's not even counting the cost of the energizer and amplifier. That's going to have to come later down the road :)

post #17 of 72

I have just lost an ebay bargaining for an sr-5 with srd 6. The other won it by shelling out 151 euro. The good is in buying used, that if you dont like it, you could certainly sell it at more or less the same price. So by experimenting you dont loose much. I did buy this way my sr-x 3, and I am floored by the natural and neutral sound of it. I was thinking to buy a HD 800, and I bought this to try out before paying big money. This weekend I went back to the dealer to hear again HD800 driven by senn own headphone amplifier. Mighty, impressive sound - but somehow a composed one. A few weeks before I heard Jordi Savall in live concert. The stax is able to reproduce the same timbre, sound what one hear at real life. Sennheiser: attractive, eyecatching, everything, just not able to reproduce the natural timbre un unamplified  music (at least in this case, according to my experience). 

post #18 of 72

interesting...ive been looking for a classical music phone and was thinking of HD800...do you guys think the DT880 or HD598 are the best candidates regardless of price? What about best up to the price of the HD800s? Please excuse the hijack...or slight detour?

post #19 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido2 View Post
 

interesting...ive been looking for a classical music phone and was thinking of HD800...do you guys think the DT880 or HD598 are the best candidates regardless of price? What about best up to the price of the HD800s? Please excuse the hijack...or slight detour?

 

HD600. I didn't mention it, because OP wants a more detailed and open sound.

post #20 of 72

I think AKG K/Q701/2s would be great for your needs, also tweaking them for a smoother frequency response using a graphic EQ works wonders in my opinion.

post #21 of 72

The trouble with recommending the AKGs is that they arouse such intense passions for and against, some loving and some loathing (count me in on that side). They're not a safe recommendation, whereas the DT880 is rarely hated even when it isn't especially loved, and the main objection is usually the treble peak, which is easily dealt with, or the claim that they're 'soulless', which usually means they don't exhibit the colourations the writer has become used to. Having run the gamut from AT AD900 to the LCD-2 via HE-500, Denon D2000, K702 and just about everything in between I can honestly say I haven't encountered a phone as free of vices as the DT880--which of course doesn't mean it's perfect but does make it a good recommendation especially for classical.

post #22 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post
 

The trouble with recommending the AKGs is that they arouse such intense passions for and against, some loving and some loathing (count me in on that side). They're not a safe recommendation, whereas the DT880 is rarely hated even when it isn't especially loved, and the main objection is usually the treble peak, which is easily dealt with, or the claim that they're 'soulless', which usually means they don't exhibit the colourations the writer has become used to [. . .] which of course doesn't mean it's perfect but does make it a good recommendation [. . .]

 

 
It's hard to tell if your argument is disinterested because you loathe K70x and think that DT880 has no weaknesses that can't be amended. That doesn't make it a bad argument. Setting aside your stated preferences doesn't make it a good argument. If we judge the argument by its own standard, it has aroused my passion so you can't recommend it. :D
post #23 of 72

I have the DT880 Pro 600 ohms, IMHO they are very good on classical.  Another cans around that price (stretch up a bit) is Philips Fidelio X1, which I tested twice on a PC show that IMHO sounds very good as well.

ATH-AD 900 should be on the list of options as well.  But I think DT880 Pro and Fidelio X1 have better bass compared to AD900.

post #24 of 72
post #25 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post
 

The trouble with recommending the AKGs is that they arouse such intense passions for and against, some loving and some loathing (count me in on that side). They're not a safe recommendation, whereas the DT880 is rarely hated even when it isn't especially loved, and the main objection is usually the treble peak, which is easily dealt with, or the claim that they're 'soulless', which usually means they don't exhibit the colourations the writer has become used to [. . .] which of course doesn't mean it's perfect but does make it a good recommendation [. . .]

 

 
It's hard to tell if your argument is disinterested because you loathe K70x and think that DT880 has no weaknesses that can't be amended. That doesn't make it a bad argument. Setting aside your stated preferences doesn't make it a good argument. If we judge the argument by its own standard, it has aroused my passion so you can't recommend it. :D

 

Er, you lost me just after "It's hard to tell..."  :p

post #26 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by earfonia View Post
 

I have the DT880 Pro 600 ohms, IMHO they are very good on classical.  Another cans around that price (stretch up a bit) is Philips Fidelio X1, which I tested twice on a PC show that IMHO sounds very good as well.

ATH-AD 900 should be on the list of options as well.  But I think DT880 Pro and Fidelio X1 have better bass compared to AD900.

One more, I recently bought Soundmagic HP100, incredible clarity and transparency for a closed headphones, really nice for classical music.  It is a closed headphones that has the sound signature of an open headphones.  Detail and clarity is excellent.  Bass is also good, extended very low, clean and tight, although the level maybe a tad beyond what I would like to hear.  But I would say the bass is good quality and sufficient, not anemic.  Very neutral tonal balance, lean to natural-bright, but the kind with high quality treble that sounds airy and transparent, not the type that harsh and metallic.  Highly recommended for classical.

One drawback, not very comfortable for me, the pad is not thick enough for my ears.  So I usually take it off every 30 mins.  But can wear longer in cool environment.

 

http://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-HP100-Premium-Folding-Headphones/dp/B0086YJ86Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385977038&sr=8-1&keywords=soundmagic+hp100

post #27 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

HD600. I didn't mention it, because OP wants a more detailed and open sound.


As do I. Thanks Claritas. I used to own the HD 650 so yeah I'm looking for more spacious detailed sound. The emotion of the music is often times in the subtle details...so I wanna hear those details more clearly. Also Id like to hear the space of the venue, it makes for a more realistic listening experience. So 880s are looking like they can't lose?

post #28 of 72

Maybe I am way off here as my suggestion is going to be for a closed, $140 headphones ... but I've tested the 4 headphones (all closed) in range from $130 to $400 and for me the classical sound was best represented on Synnheiser HD380.  See my last thread where I compare others to it.

post #29 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by earfonia View Post
 

I have the DT880 Pro 600 ohms, IMHO they are very good on classical.  Another cans around that price (stretch up a bit) is Philips Fidelio X1, which I tested twice on a PC show that IMHO sounds very good as well.

ATH-AD 900 should be on the list of options as well.  But I think DT880 Pro and Fidelio X1 have better bass compared to AD900.

 

Munch's Bolero, played on an X1 off an Audio GD DAC and amp, sent serious chills down my spine.   The only thing that has had a similar impact is Ozawa's magnificent "Rite of Spring" on a pair of LCD2s.   

 

The X1 is a fun speaker and probably better suited for orchestral works - for what the OP describes (chamber/baroque pieces, by the sound of it), the AKG 701s would be the best option, IMO. 

post #30 of 72

My opinion is that you should go with AKG Q701 if you want the best experience with classical music - good frequency response and the best soundstage for the price. You will find both pretty much welcome. DT880 are also a good choice especially considering their superior bass response (deeper) - on the other hand, they lack in soundstage and that's what I would find to be a dealbreaker for classical.

 

If you want the safest choice frequency response wise (not only for classical), go with HD598 (or modded HD558) but dont expect them to be technically or soundstage-wise on par with Q701. Skip HD600 - not good enough soundstage-wise and could be a bit too dark for classical. Skip AD900 - horrible headphone with extreme upper-mids - absolutely unnatural.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best headphones for Classical music?