Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = Hifiman “Fuzzor” Mod = (Driver backwave felt damping modification)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

= Hifiman “Fuzzor” Mod = (Driver backwave felt damping modification) - Page 4

post #46 of 65

I'd say there are more effective damping materials than felt - but perhaps harder to work with.

 

I'll check: pressed mineral wool, cotton pads, pressed kapok. No fibreglass unfortunately.

 

About attaching - the best thing you can do is lacquer it with an acoustically transparent lacquer without damaging the porous surface. Most elastic lacquers work for this purpose.


Edited by AstralStorm - 1/22/14 at 12:32am
post #47 of 65

Is it possible to do a fuzor mod on the HE4?

post #48 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post
 

Is it possible to do a fuzor mod on the HE4?

Sure but I don't know if it'll make any practical difference though. The double-sided cans benefit because 50%+ of their driver face surface area is covered by the magnet array, with HE4 you have close to nothing.

post #49 of 65
Ok so it won't do much for SE orthos. Thanks, one less mod I "have" to try smily_headphones1.gif
post #50 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post

Ok so it won't do much for SE orthos. Thanks, one less mod I "have" to try smily_headphones1.gif

Well..not necessarily. For Abyss which has the magnets on the face-facing side, but not on the grill-facing side, a mod like this is pretty much mandatory. The other way around like HE4 is the other way around.

post #51 of 65

I had a question on the final tapering step.  Since it is felt, what stops the felt from eventually going back to its original non-tapered state?  Is the fact that it is stiff felt enough to keep it from slowly going back to normal?

post #52 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSire View Post
 

I had a question on the final tapering step.  Since it is felt, what stops the felt from eventually going back to its original non-tapered state?  Is the fact that it is stiff felt enough to keep it from slowly going back to normal?

The felt I bought is stiffened, meaning it is somewhat "plastic" and shape-able.

post #53 of 65

Has anyone experimented with thicker felt? I just ordered 1/16" and 1/8" sheets.

post #54 of 65

I tried this mod on my HE-400 today with some self-adhesive sound absorbing foam I had lying around.

It definitely cleaned up the sound stage a bit. I also put a ring of the foam around the inner part of the cup, just not where the mesh would normally rest.

It may be of some use to y'all but I also put plasticine into the ring of the outer baffle to attempt to dampen it. There seemed to be a little cleaner sound, but not much.

post #55 of 65

Wish more ppl did this mod! Curious for more impressions

post #56 of 65
Please update the first page with sonic impressions on the effects the mod has on the sound when u get a chance. This thread is already old.

I would appreciate it. Thanks!
post #57 of 65

Transforms the HE-6 to an overall superlative headphone: tones down the treble and enhances transparency, detail retreaval, depth.

With Audeze "Vegan" pads on also, the sound is just unbeatable in my opinion for an alround (all gerne playing) high end headphone.

LCD-2 has still tighter bass, but in the rest of the spectrum and overall, the modded HE-6 just crushes it.

post #58 of 65
The biggest improvement on my he500 was the timbre. Now it sounds more similar to my long missed HD650 with the he500 own strengths.
post #59 of 65

Thanks a bunch for the mod, Jerg, it was a lot of fun to wrap my head around.

 

I'm staying at home at the moment so I wasn't able to get it as precise as I'd hoped for, is there a tell to know if I executed the mod too poorly? I'm going to use it for now but I'm trying to determine if I should redo it later..

 

edit: listening a bit to the headphones now, sounds slightly muffed, maybe a little less clear? maybe slower? night and day on the FR though, no longer harsh to my ears -- wow!


Edited by purplegoat - 7/13/14 at 4:32pm
post #60 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegoat View Post
 

Thanks a bunch for the mod, Jerg, it was a lot of fun to wrap my head around.

 

I'm staying at home at the moment so I wasn't able to get it as precise as I'd hoped for, is there a tell to know if I executed the mod too poorly? I'm going to use it for now but I'm trying to determine if I should redo it later..

 

edit: listening a bit to the headphones now, sounds slightly muffed, maybe a little less clear? maybe slower? night and day on the FR though, no longer harsh to my ears -- wow!

The trick is to cut it precisely so the drivers are not blocked in any way. Good thing is you can just rip it all down and redo if you feel like you botched the job.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = Hifiman “Fuzzor” Mod = (Driver backwave felt damping modification)