or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need help choosing a pair of over-ear headphones,
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help choosing a pair of over-ear headphones,

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hey guys , 

I have been lurking around this forum for some time now and finally decided to join . I read so many threads over the past few months and over time narrowed my selection to a few good cans I plan on getting during black friday or cyber monday . My style of music is varied I can be listening to Metal, the next minute to some Enya then to rap  . I have had a pair of Sennheiser HD 201 in the past that's about it . My current selection is as follows : Sennheiser HD 598 , AKG k550 , ATH M50s 

I am not much of a bass head but definetly appreciate a nice touch of it .  My main focus is clarity . I want to be able to truly appreciate the vocals when listening to Queen . 

I really want to grab a pair of HD 598 but I doubt I can get a good deal on those. I also plan on getting a sound card , the ASUS Xonar DG has some good reviews and is in my price range . 

Thanks  

 

Edit : Are the HD 598 and 558 really that similar in term of sound ? 

post #2 of 11

Heya,

 

Hifiman HE-300, latest revision, will be $150 from Head-Direct.com Black Friday through Cyber Monday.

 

Very best,

post #3 of 11

Many suggests sony ma900 over hd5xx. I second the hfm HE-300.

post #4 of 11

The HE-300 is already $149 on Amazon. Looks like a steal to me.

post #5 of 11

I used to own a pair of Sennheiser HD580's and they were awesome headphones. The have the same drivers as the HD600. I've owned both and can honestly say that they sound almost identical. The HD580 has a touch more bass and mid-range due to the more-closed grills. I ended up trading my pair out for a set of Westone 4's straight up with a user here on Head-fi. Anyway, I just stumbled across a pair of HD580's with a HD650 upgrade cable in the FS forums for $100. That's such a deal for that pair of headphones. I recommend you check them out. You probably won't be able to find headphones better than those for $100, in my opinion.

 

Here's the link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/692420/fs-sennheiser-hd-580-w-650-cables

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 

cCasper I was planning on getting the Asus Xonar DG to replace my crappy onboard sound card , do you think I will get any advantage from the upgrade ,and I do agree the HD 580 deal seem to be a good one . 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post
 

I used to own a pair of Sennheiser HD580's and they were awesome headphones. The have the same drivers as the HD600. I've owned both and can honestly say that they sound almost identical. The HD580 has a touch more bass and mid-range due to the more-closed grills. I ended up trading my pair out for a set of Westone 4's straight up with a user here on Head-fi. Anyway, I just stumbled across a pair of HD580's with a HD650 upgrade cable in the FS forums for $100. That's such a deal for that pair of headphones. I recommend you check them out. You probably won't be able to find headphones better than those for $100, in my opinion.

 

Here's the link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/692420/fs-sennheiser-hd-580-w-650-cables

 

Malveaux , the Hifiman seems a little too bulky for me , but I really wanted to see how they compare to the HD 580 recommended by cCasper but could not find any thread. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post
 

Heya,

 

Hifiman HE-300, latest revision, will be $150 from Head-Direct.com Black Friday through Cyber Monday.

 

Very best,

post #7 of 11

The hifimans are fairly light compared to their other models.

 

The xonar DG is an upgrade, for sure.


Edited by davidsh - 11/28/13 at 6:23am
post #8 of 11

I honestly don't know much in terms of sound cards, there are a few threads here in the Misc. section that are devoted to computer specs and such. I would check that area out and ask them.

post #9 of 11

HD558 aren't far off the 598 in sound if you don't want to stretch to the 598.

post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 

I found a HD 595 within my price range along with a Sound card/Headphone Amp : Asus Xonar DG . On the other hand , I can also purchase a HD 558 or the Hifiman HE-300 for $150 but without the Amp until at least next year . The issue is I can't really test out any of those cans for myself because I live in a fairly small town . Most retails stores around me carry brand such as Monster Beats and Sony . I hope an audiophile who has any of those cans can give me his opinion . 

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic6596 View Post
 

I found a HD 595 within my price range along with a Sound card/Headphone Amp : Asus Xonar DG . On the other hand , I can also purchase a HD 558 or the Hifiman HE-300 for $150 but without the Amp until at least next year . The issue is I can't really test out any of those cans for myself because I live in a fairly small town . Most retails stores around me carry brand such as Monster Beats and Sony . I hope an audiophile who has any of those cans can give me his opinion . 


The 595 are the old version of the 598, so may actually be better than the 558.

I can't confirm it since i've never used the 595 but it's worth bearing in mind.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need help choosing a pair of over-ear headphones,