Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audio-GD Master 9
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-GD Master 9 - Page 7

post #91 of 472
I will help you out on this.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/581796/amp-recommendations-for-audeze-lcd-3/855#post_9812643
post #92 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersys View Post
 

Correct me if i am wrong, but i though the M8 sounded closer to the GS-X mk2 ? 

I understand from kingwa that the M9 will sound different.

 

Has anyone compaired M8 and M9 and the GS-X mk2..?

 

Early predictions from those that have heard the M8 said that the M9 shouldn't be much different. Still not 100% confident in what I'm hearing but I would tend to disagree that they sound a lot alike. There are differences, much larger than I was lead on to believe. In any event, I'll give my thoughts on the M9 and the GSX mk2 soon. 

post #93 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by froger View Post

I will help you out on this.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/581796/amp-recommendations-for-audeze-lcd-3/855#post_9812643

Thanks for that, since its really the word straight from the horses mouth, maybe I should buy an M8/M9 and a GSX2 for a self Xmas present, I got the dough so money is not a problem.

post #94 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

Thanks for that, since its really the word straight from the horses mouth, maybe I should buy an M8/M9 and a GSX2 for a self Xmas present, I got the dough so money is not a problem.

Put up or shut it. :biggrin: 

post #95 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

Thanks for that, since its really the word straight from the horses mouth, maybe I should buy an M8/M9 and a GSX2 for a self Xmas present, I got the dough so money is not a problem.

Maybe you should buy me one or the other, I don't care which, and buy yourself the other one.. and then we can compare notes.

 

Yes, that's what you will do.

 

Now.

 

Do it.

post #96 of 472

The Master 9 now have pushed 50 hours + the 300 that Audio GD put on it and I can say that I really like the sound from it.

 

My initial imprecision is that It’s more extend in both the bas and treble, it’s more dynamic and have a bit fuller sound then my Soloist with the LCD 3 and IMHO.

 

I don’t think it sound bright even when it does have a bit more extended treble and treble energy then the Soloist. The Master 9 does infect have a bit fuller overall sound, maybe do too the rich and deep bas, also compered to Soloist.

 

The most important things for me in the sound signature are the transparence and tonality. All other factors are off curse also important.  The tonality is really to my preference in my set up, with a rich and colorful presentation that have a warm sound then it’s on the record, but I wouldn’t say that it coloured. The transparency is good, could maybe be some more to be totally perfect IMO.

 

I haven’t got the feeling that the sound has changed very much during the time I have had it at home. The depth in the sound stage is maybe a little bit deeper now.

 

The high treble is the only thing that isn’t yet perfect and can to my ears and on my system be a little, little bit harsh on more songs and records then on the Soloist – yes even with the LCD 3.

 

Please do not interpret it to be more when those, a grain of harshness that can come from other parts of my stereo, like the Audiophilleo. In my experience this normally vanishing or reduce after some burn in. I don’t know if it will on the M 9 though. Maybe someone with experience on Master 6/8/9 or other Audio GD gear can comment on this.

 

Overall (still my initial imprecision though) I think it sound amazedly good for its price and compered to my Burson Soloist and Graham Slee Solo ultra linear diamond edition and on LCD 3.

 

I as well looking forward for your imprecisions compered to GSX mk2 on your nice dac’s Greed.

post #97 of 472

I believe treble harshness is an extremely normal problem with headphone listening irregardless of the amplifier. 

 

Changing cables or dac's, or amplifiers does not really deal with the problem directly and only gives some relief from the problem.  The problem is that those drivers are to close to the ears.

 

The only solution that is believable and convincing is to angle the headphones on the ear so that the drivers are further away.  The only way I know how to do that without playing with your headphones and ear pads is to use computer audio applications.  For those using computer Audio- there is a program called Fidelia that has a FHX headphone module.  It has algorithms  programed for cross-feed and to simulate speaker angleing that can be set to one's desires.  It is the absolute best solution to the problem and delivers the most speaker like sound I have ever heard on every headphone it is used with.


Edited by rsbrsvp - 12/22/13 at 12:50pm
post #98 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbrsvp View Post
 

I believe treble harshness is an extremely normal problem with headphone listening irregardless of the amplifier. 

 

Changing cables or dac's, or amplifiers does not really deal with the problem directly and only gives some relief from the problem.  The problem is that those drivers are to close to the ears.

I do believe the manufactures are well aware of the different in distance from the ears. If you look at the difference in fragrance you will see that they have compensated for it. Treble harshness is not only a problem in head-fi, you get in speakers too.

 

Changing cables, dac's or amplifiers does, in my experience, all the difference. IMO a good configured rig is a must to gain high fidelity.

post #99 of 472

I do agree that components can make a difference- but I still believe that Fidelia's cross-feed and speaker angle algorithms have done by far more to negate treble harshness and brightness for every headphone I ever owned than any component ever did.


Edited by rsbrsvp - 12/22/13 at 12:50pm
post #100 of 472

Actually I think the aggressive treble simply comes from the stock power lead of M9. Yesterday I changed my Nordost Vishnu from the DAC to M9, and to my surprise, the treble harshness just completely went away. (I always thought Nordost cables are fast and sharp and emphasize treble)

 

However, I personally do not like the Vishnu on amps, because it makes everything sounds very very calm and far away, so I changed it back. Will give M9 more time to run-in.

post #101 of 472

Hi rsbrsvp! I don’t have a bright sound at all and really my remark on a little, little bit harshness in the top high treble is just a minor issue, that if don’t vanishing or reduce after some more burn in can be handled by changing to like a different usb-cable or power cord.

 

I have not tried cross-feed yet, but are interested in trying it out. Not for changing the sound signature, more for the angle algorithms. I’m at heart more of a speaker guy that has been doing speaker hifi for like 30 years and only in the resent years paid attention to head-fi. Have you tried any other cross-feed solutions when Fidelia and how well does it do it?

post #102 of 472

I’m glad that you seem to found a way to deal with the treble harshness aeolushu =). An aggressive and harsh sound is IMO hard to live with in the long run. Even when the Nordost Vishnu isn’t your cup of tea (on a amp) you probable can found some other power cord that is if the harshness doesn’t goes away after some more burn in. A good power cord would probably be a real sound upgrade in a good system like yours IMHO.

post #103 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articnoise View Post
 

Hi rsbrsvp! I don’t have a bright sound at all and really my remark on a little, little bit harshness in the top high treble is just a minor issue, that if don’t vanishing or reduce after some more burn in can be handled by changing to like a different usb-cable or power cord.

 

I have not tried cross-feed yet, but are interested in trying it out. Not for changing the sound signature, more for the angle algorithms. I’m at heart more of a speaker guy that has been doing speaker hifi for like 30 years and only in the resent years paid attention to head-fi. Have you tried any other cross-feed solutions when Fidelia and how well does it do it?

Fidelia's FHX headphone module for MAC computer is the only one I know of.   I wrote a letter to Amarra a while ago trying to convince them to do the same.  I do not know how it works.

post #104 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbrsvp View Post

I do agree that components can make a difference- but I still believe that Fidelia's cross-feed and speaker angle algorithms have done by far more to negate treble harshness and brightness for every headphone I ever owned than any component ever did.
I also agree the Fidelia's FHX cross-feeding works to give a more speakers-like soundstage, but unfortunately, I thought the imaging and clarity took a beating after applying the cross-feeding and I wasn't able to image the positions of the voices and instruments as well as before. Anyway, the program is available for trial for 15 days, so no harm trying. Sorry for being OT here.
post #105 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by froger View Post


I also agree the Fidelia's FHX cross-feeding works to give a more speakers-like soundstage, but unfortunately, I thought the imaging and clarity took a beating after applying the cross-feeding and I wasn't able to image the positions of the voices and instruments as well as before. Anyway, the program is available for trial for 15 days, so no harm trying. Sorry for being OT here.

It gives a smoother, rounder, creamier sound that has less crisp transients.   It is however much easier on my ears.  The delivery sounds much more organic to me, but I could hear people complaining about that roundness.  I like it.  It puts me at ease and takes away all brightness and etch.


Edited by rsbrsvp - 12/22/13 at 10:52pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audio-GD Master 9