Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audio-GD Master 9
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-GD Master 9 - Page 4

post #46 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 


Tells us how it sounds with your new HE-6 :wink_face:

 

WIll do!

post #47 of 515

I've got the LCD-3 . I can't compare it to much thou... 

post #48 of 515

Audio-gd said the Master 9 was fuller and richer sounding than the Master 8

post #49 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

Yea, I'd figure that the HD800 would sound a bit too thin. I personally feel the HD800 belongs with a good tube amplifier, which is why I ordered the Stratus. I'm really hoping the M9 does well with the LCD-3 and HE-6. I'll be pairing it with the AMR, so hopefully the combo with the slightly warm DAC will synergize well. 
Look forward to your impressions! smily_headphones1.gif
post #50 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by froger View Post

My previous experience with Master 8 didn't go too well with HD800, too much air than I will like, making music sound too dreamy and distant. Pairing with HE-6 was fine but I thought it did not sound as dynamic and 3 dimensional as compared to using my Mini Torii amp. Pairing with Lcd2.2 on the other hand, was great as it gave the lcd2.2 the needed air and wider soundstage. Not too sure how much different Master 9 will sound, hopefully it has improved much from Master 8. By the way, Dac used was Master 7.

 

Sorry but I think you need to blame your DAC there and not the amp.

 

Dreamy & distant are words I could never use to describe my Master-6 (which should sound the same as the Master-8) and NFB-7.

post #51 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post
 

 

Yea, I'd figure that the HD800 would sound a bit too thin. I personally feel the HD800 belongs with a good tube amplifier, which is why I ordered the Stratus. I'm really hoping the M9 does well with the LCD-3 and HE-6. I'll be pairing it with the AMR, so hopefully the combo with the slightly warm DAC will synergize well. 

 

Audio-gd amps are far from thin sounding.

 

I love my M6 with the HD800's, certainly not thin (but not bloated either). Listening last night to some rock, sounded great.

post #52 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post
 

 

Audio-gd amps are far from thin sounding.

 

I love my M6 with the HD800's, certainly not thin (but not bloated either). Listening last night to some rock, sounded great.

 

Isn't there some guidelines in the TOS here that state don't comment and what you haven't heard. No one here is commenting in regards to the M6. Before you say the M6 sounds similar to the M9, that is yet to be determined and the designer himself has stated that the M8 and M9 sound slightly different. In other words, this could all be a preference thing. I've found that froger and I share similar preferences and like similar sounding equipment, so I'm going to tend to agree with his finding in regards to the M8 and trust his impressions. I'll surely give it a shot when I get the M9 in house, but I haven't found many ss amps paired with the HD800 that I've enjoyed. 

post #53 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post
 

 

Isn't there some guidelines in the TOS here that state don't comment and what you haven't heard. No one here is commenting in regards to the M6. Before you say the M6 sounds similar to the M9, that is yet to be determined and the designer himself has stated that the M8 and M9 sound slightly different. In other words, this could all be a preference thing. I've found that froger and I share similar preferences and like similar sounding equipment, so I'm going to tend to agree with his finding in regards to the M8 and trust his impressions. I'll surely give it a shot when I get the M9 in house, but I haven't found many ss amps paired with the HD800 that I've enjoyed. 

 

You have every right to your own opinions. As regards the differences between the M6/M8 and the M9 it has been mentioned, I think twice, that the difference between the M6/M8 (where the only difference as far as I am aware is the gain control) and the M9 is not worth the upgrade if you already have the older amps.

 

Therefore if my M6 does not sound thin with the HD800's then I can't see any reason why the M9 should. Especially given rsbrsvp's comment above.

All I was doing is given my personal opinion based on the equipment I have which is similar to what you are purchasing. I was just trying to be helpful.

 

PS Didn't you make a comment that the HD800's could sound too thin with the M9 when you have not heard the M9? Just saying  :wink: 


Edited by nigeljames - 12/13/13 at 2:21am
post #54 of 515
Here is a recent e-mail I received from Audio-gd:
 
Dear Steven,
1.  I heard the master 8 was slightly bright by some accounts.   Has this issue been dealt with in the Master 9?  
 
I can have no brightness or upper frequency stress at all.   My ears cannot deal with it.---------The Master 9 have improve on sound and specs, the sound is more rich so may can't feel bright.
 

Edited by rsbrsvp - 12/13/13 at 2:56am
post #55 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbrsvp View Post
 
Here is a recent e-mail I received from Audio-gd:
 
Dear Steven,
1.  I heard the master 8 was slightly bright by some accounts.   Has this issue been dealt with in the Master 9?  
 
I can have no brightness or upper frequency stress at all.   My ears cannot deal with it.---------The Master 9 have improve on sound and specs, the sound is more rich so may can't feel bright.
 

 

Where did you hear that the Master-8 was slightly bright?

 

The only reference that I have ever read was that it was slightly brighter than the GSX-2 which unless it can be categorically proved that the GSX2 is absolutely neutral means nothing.

 

I certainly do not find the Master-6 bright with any of my phones even with pure silver interconnections and silver/gold headphone cables.

post #56 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

Yea, I'd figure that the HD800 would sound a bit too thin. I personally feel the HD800 belongs with a good tube amplifier, which is why I ordered the Stratus. I'm really hoping the M9 does well with the LCD-3 and HE-6. I'll be pairing it with the AMR, so hopefully the combo with the slightly warm DAC will synergize well. 
Without a doubt, you are in a fantastic and highly enviable position to mix and match with a bunch of high end DACs, amplifiers and headphones with pretty different characteristics. All these really give you much room to fine- tune to the sound you prefer. It is going to be very busy and exciting time ahead, Greed! beerchug.gif
post #57 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post
 

 

Where did you hear that the Master-8 was slightly bright?

 

The only reference that I have ever read was that it was slightly brighter than the GSX-2 which unless it can be categorically proved that the GSX2 is absolutely neutral means nothing.

 

I certainly do not find the Master-6 bright with any of my phones even with pure silver interconnections and silver/gold headphone cables.

That is exactly where I read it.

post #58 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post
 

 

You have every right to your own opinions. As regards the differences between the M6/M8 and the M9 it has been mentioned, I think twice, that the difference between the M6/M8 (where the only difference as far as I am aware is the gain control) and the M9 is not worth the upgrade if you already have the older amps.

 

Therefore if my M6 does not sound thin with the HD800's then I can't see any reason why the M9 should. Especially given rsbrsvp's comment above.

All I was doing is given my personal opinion based on the equipment I have which is similar to what you are purchasing. I was just trying to be helpful.

 

PS Didn't you make a comment that the HD800's could sound too thin with the M9 when you have not heard the M9? Just saying  :wink: 

 

I appreciate the comments as well (forgot to add that to my initial response). I haven't read anywhere were it was confirmed that the M6 and the M9 are identical in sound. It is possible I missed that somewhere when reading through this thread or the other AGD thread but I doubt it. Considering people have directly emailed Kingwa asking the differences between the M8 and M9, the answer being there is infact a slight difference in sound, I see no reason to assume any of the past models will. Of course all of this is guess work since I haven't heard the amp. Which is why I said "figured" when agreeing with froger on his comments. I don't claim to know anything about any of the AGD, other than their great reputation. 


Edited by Greed - 12/13/13 at 8:41am
post #59 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post
 

 

I appreciate the comments as well (forgot to add that to my initial response). I haven't read anywhere were it was confirmed that the M6 and the M9 are identical in sound. It is possible I missed that somewhere when reading through this thread or the other AGD thread but I doubt it. Considering people have directly emailed Kingwa asking the differences between the M8 and M9, the answer being there is infact a slight difference in sound, I see no reason to assume any of the past models will. Of course all of this is guess work since I haven't heard the amp. Which is why I said "figured" when agreeing with froger on his comments. I don't claim to know anything about any of the AGD, other than their great reputation. 

 

I never said the M6 and M9 were identical, I was referring to the M6 and M8. The M6 and M8 should sound pretty much identical because the only difference is the gain button (which is another circuit which could in theory make the M8 sound slightly worse than the M6 but I doubt that is the case)

 

So any comments on the SQ difference between the M8 and M9, and yes there does seem to be a difference, would also infer to the M6 as well.

The point I was trying to make was that if I don't have any issues with brightness or thin sound with the HD800's then I would be surprised you would have any issues with the warmer, fuller sounding M9, but then everyone hears differently so who knows :biggrin:

post #60 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post
 

 

I never said the M6 and M9 were identical, I was referring to the M6 and M8. The M6 and M8 should sound pretty much identical because the only difference is the gain button (which is another circuit which could in theory make the M8 sound slightly worse than the M6 but I doubt that is the case)

 

So any comments on the SQ difference between the M8 and M9, and yes there does seem to be a difference, would also infer to the M6 as well.

The point I was trying to make was that if I don't have any issues with brightness or thin sound with the HD800's then I would be surprised you would have any issues with the warmer, fuller sounding M9, but then everyone hears differently so who knows :biggrin:

 

Fair enough, I understand now. I'm hoping the pairing will be fine, just for those days where I don't want to wait for the Stratus to warm up. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audio-GD Master 9