or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audio-GD Master 9
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-GD Master 9 - Page 22

post #316 of 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shini44 View Post
 

?

 

Very simply put: Class A gets just as hot no matter if you play anything or not - opposed to the other classes that gets hotter the more/louder you play. 

 

I turn mine off when I don't use it (unless I know I am coming back to it soon), for class A stuff I think thats the the normal way to handle it. Your capacitators etc will dry out if you leave it on 24/7

post #317 of 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shini44 View Post
 

?

It's a class A amplifier, the high temp is a logical consequence of this as the design is very inefficient, energy-wise, always operating at full 100% and wasting most of the energy as heat.  It should be able to handle staying on but if for nothing else than my electricity bill and from an abundance of caution I wouldn't do it.

post #318 of 1337

thanks ^^ 

post #319 of 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

Have spent some time now with the Master 9, and it is truly a spectacular amp! Mostly been using it with LCD3, HE6 and Shure 1840, all with great success :-)

Note you also own the WA22. I'd be interested to know how the M9 compares with the WA22 and what the M9 does better.

I have the WA22 and am very keen to get a solid state amp to complement. Should I jump on the M9?
post #320 of 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknightDK View Post


Note you also own the WA22. I'd be interested to know how the M9 compares with the WA22 and what the M9 does better.

I have the WA22 and am very keen to get a solid state amp to complement. Should I jump on the M9?

 

Haven't compared them side by side, but the M9 has really wowed me. Not that I am getting rid of everything else, but it solid state at its best. Crystal clear yet warmish and not bright/hard/edgy. Great tight and full bass - that is probably where it has its main comparative advantage to the WA22 - but I'll have to come back o that when I get a chance to rig them both up. And it drives the HE6 veeeery well (so you can trade your HD800 for one and go totally ortho ,) The HE6 actually sounds good on the WA22 too, but in a lush and sweet but slightly underpowered way - not optimal. HE6 + M9 however is really really great =) The LCD-3 is great too - but I have just been spending most of the time with HE6, that's why I keep babble on. 

post #321 of 1337
Thanks for your impressions. Much appreciated. Haha I actually think the HD800 complements the LCD 3 well. Just different sound signatures probably akin to tubes vs solid state. Lush vs analytical.

I might just get the M9 after all. Just waiting on more solid impressions of the Raganork before I decide.
post #322 of 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknightDK View Post

Thanks for your impressions. Much appreciated. Haha I actually think the HD800 complements the LCD 3 well. Just different sound signatures probably akin to tubes vs solid state. Lush vs analytical.

I might just get the M9 after all. Just waiting on more solid impressions of the Raganork before I decide.

 

That'll be a very good match:

 

Master 9 / Master 7

 

vs.

 

Raganork / Yggdrasil

post #323 of 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

That'll be a very good match:

Master 9 / Master 7

vs.

Raganork / Yggdrasil

Indeed!

Haha, they probably weigh the same too, can't get any further from portable headfi :-)
post #324 of 1337

Delete..


Edited by rsbrsvp - 5/8/14 at 7:07am
post #325 of 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknightDK View Post

Thanks for your impressions. Much appreciated. Haha I actually think the HD800 complements the LCD 3 well. Just different sound signatures probably akin to tubes vs solid state. Lush vs analytical.

I might just get the M9 after all. Just waiting on more solid impressions of the Raganork before I decide.

Sure they do. So basically you'll have to get the HE6 in addition, it complements the LCD3 and HD800 very well !)
post #326 of 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post


Sure they do. So basically you'll have to get the HE6 in addition, it complements the LCD3 and HD800 very well !)

 

Or the Abyss (which I'm really eyeing).

 

someday... ;) 

post #327 of 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknightDK View Post

Or the Abyss (which I'm really eyeing).

someday... wink.gif  

Why?? I must say it seems overpriced.. And a well fed HE6 is very hard to beat...
Edited by ardilla - 5/8/14 at 7:27am
post #328 of 1337
I auditoned the Abyss last year in a showroom for 30 minutes. Not enough by a long shot to be definite in absolute terms but certainly long enough to know for sure that whatever there might be in terms of better performance than with the 6 (and I'm not convinced there is, ymmv) it sure doesn't justify the extra cost to me. But judge for yourself.
post #329 of 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post

I auditoned the Abyss last year in a showroom for 30 minutes. Not enough by a long shot to be definite in absolute terms but certainly long enough to know for sure that whatever there might be in terms of better performance than with the 6 (and I'm not convinced there is, ymmv) it sure doesn't justify the extra cost to me. But judge for yourself.

 

Ihaven't heard the Abyss, but I must say that M9 and HE6 sounds like what many would describe as end game performance - and at a very competitive price indeed :)

 

I see you have a F5 clone for your HE6 - have you heard the M9 with HE6?

post #330 of 1337
Hmm.. The HE6 sounds very promising indeed. I really should give it a listen.

Agreed that the Abyss is overpriced.. both the headphone and the JPS Labs cables they come with.. but boy! do they sound good!
Edited by DarknightDK - 5/9/14 at 9:25am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audio-GD Master 9