Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audio-GD Master 9
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-GD Master 9 - Page 9

post #121 of 714

Thank you nigeljames!

 

I see that you have DIY ACSS Cables between your Audio-gd NFB-7 and Master 6. How is it compared to the Audio GD ACSS Cables and a really good XLR?

post #122 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articnoise View Post
 

Thank you nigeljames!

 

I see that you have DIY ACSS Cables between your Audio-gd NFB-7 and Master 6. How is it compared to the Audio GD ACSS Cables and a really good XLR?

 

I find the ACSS to be a little bit more transparent and cleaner than my Artisan Ultimate Silver Dream Cables.

 

These cables cost over £200 and sound superb so I would assume that it's the ACSS input/outputs being better than XLR rather than the ACSS cables being better, but I could be wrong!


Edited by nigeljames - 1/4/14 at 8:23am
post #123 of 714

Is the Master 9 completely silent with low impedance headphones like my LA-7000 (Lawton Audio modded D7000) or something like the Fostex TH900?  I'm looking for a headphone amp for my dynamic headphones.  I'm also considering the V200 which is cheaper but may not be in the same league as the M9.  Any opinions?

post #124 of 714

my master-6 is dead silent with some old Sennheisers with around 25ohm impedance. I fully expect the M9 will be the same.

 

Just be careful with the volume control  :wink_face:

post #125 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM324 View Post
 

Is the Master 9 completely silent with low impedance headphones like my LA-7000 (Lawton Audio modded D7000) or something like the Fostex TH900?  I'm looking for a headphone amp for my dynamic headphones.  I'm also considering the V200 which is cheaper but may not be in the same league as the M9.  Any opinions?

 

I've tried various low impedance, high sens headphones with the M9 and they all play relatively nice. The TH-600, which is similar to the D7K in design and construction, is silent. No low level noise or distortion. I've also tried IEMs, which do have slight hiss - but nothing crazy. I'm actually surprised by how versatile this amp is. It is very similar to the GSX in that regard. 

post #126 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post
 

my master-6 is dead silent with some old Sennheisers with around 25ohm impedance. I fully expect the M9 will be the same.

 

Just be careful with the volume control  :wink_face:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post
 

 

I've tried various low impedance, high sens headphones with the M9 and they all play relatively nice. The TH-600, which is similar to the D7K in design and construction, is silent. No low level noise or distortion. I've also tried IEMs, which do have slight hiss - but nothing crazy. I'm actually surprised by how versatile this amp is. It is very similar to the GSX in that regard.

Thanks guys!  I might just pull the trigger on the M9.  I sent an e-mail quote request to A-gd.  I like its versatility as a preamp and headphone amp with plenty of inputs and a lot of power.  The fact that it isn't noisy with a high efficiency headphone like the TH-600 is very important to me as well.

post #127 of 714

woohoo!

 

I have my Master 9!!!

Sadly its still in the box for tonight.

post #128 of 714

All unpacked and set up temporally. All I can say is WOW.

Makes my LCD 3's sing with the Ref 5.32.

 

Gave my LCD's much better sound stage and the bass is much tighter and more well defined.

 

Amazing

post #129 of 714

Congrats.  I'm glad it's a good pairing.  I think it's going to be my next upgrade... :)

post #130 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersys View Post

All unpacked and set up temporally. All I can say is WOW.



Makes my LCD 3's sing with the Ref 5.32.



 



Gave my LCD's much better sound stage and the bass is much tighter and more well defined.



 



Amazing


 



What amp were you using before the M9?
post #131 of 714

A local built tube amp , did not go well.

 

I spent a lot of time in the local stores demoing other amps. Burson, Bryston schit etc. I never got a chance to hear the M9 how ever... Its not a disappointment so happy with the way it sounds over any of the other kit i demo'ed. By hey that maybe is just me :)

post #132 of 714

I've never heard an A-gd amp but I will soon.  I just received notification that my M9 will be delivered tomorrow.   The positive reports from users along with the flexibility of this amp sold me.  I like the fact that it can be used as a preamp and it has multiple balanced and unbalanced inputs.  Other deciding factors included its ability to power almost any headphone and it being balanced from input to output.  The remote control is a nice feature too.  My sources will be a Bricasti M1 DSD dac and a Linn LP12 turntable with the Radikal power supply, Akiva MC cartridge and Zesto Andros vacuum tube phono stage.  Initially, I will be using my Lawton Audio LA7000 and my Headphile modded K340 with the M9.  I'm hoping that the LA7000/M9 combo satisfies my closed headphone needs.  If not, I will be looking to purchase an Alpha Dog or a XC.  After the M9 settles in, I'll report back.

post #133 of 714
Got my M9 running last night and I am very pleased with the sound quality of this amp. Actually that's a huge understatement. This amp has exceeded my expectations big time. I've been listening to my highly modified K340s driven by this amp. Since I've owned this headphone for nearly 23 years, I have heard it driven by a lot of amps including the RSA Darkstar, Cavalli Liquid Fire, EC Zana Deux SE, Luxman SQ-N100, RSA Raptor and SPL Phonitor. The M9 drives my K340s better than all of those amps and by quite a margin. The M9 elevates my Headphile modded K340 into a real contender IMO. This amp/can combination produces deep well defined bass, a midrange that sounds natural with touch of warmth and sweet highs that are clear but not bright in any way. I would say this amp is slightly on the warm side but in a good way. It also dead quiet with high sensitivity/low impedance headphones like my LA-7000. I would like to thank Greed for steering me in the direction of this amp because it matches my preferences to a T. Back to listening.
post #134 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM324 View Post

Got my M9 running last night and I am very pleased with the sound quality of this amp. Actually that's a huge understatement. This amp has exceeded my expectations big time. I've been listening to my highly modified K340s driven by this amp. Since I've owned this headphone for nearly 23 years, I have heard it driven by a lot of amps including the RSA Darkstar, Cavalli Liquid Fire, EC Zana Deux SE, Luxman SQ-N100, RSA Raptor and SPL Phonitor. The M9 drives my K340s better than all of those amps and by quite a margin. The M9 elevates my Headphile modded K340 into a real contender IMO. This amp/can combination produces deep well defined bass, a midrange that sounds natural with touch of warmth and sweet highs that are clear but not bright in any way. I would say this amp is slightly on the warm side but in a good way. It also dead quiet with high sensitivity/low impedance headphones like my LA-7000. I would like to thank Greed for steering me in the direction of this amp because it matches my preferences to a T. Back to listening.

 

Congrats on your M9.

 

I have the M6 and could not be more pleased, nice to know it competes ( not that I ever doubted it ) well with some very highly regarded and much more expensive amps.

 

Enjoy  :biggrin:

post #135 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post

 

Congrats on your M9.

 

I have the M6 and could not be more pleased, nice to know it competes ( not that I ever doubted it ) well with some very highly regarded and much more expensive amps.

 

Enjoy  " src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif">

 



Thanks Nigel. Which of your headphones do you like best with your M6? It seems like it takes about an hour for my M9 to sound its best after powering it up. I've been shutting the amp off when not in use. Do you do the same?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audio-GD Master 9