Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-400 vs. HE-500 vs. HE-4 Comparison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-400 vs. HE-500 vs. HE-4 Comparison - Page 6

post #76 of 349
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

rotfl!! ...but is it a very quiet yet sharp electronic synth that "sparks"???? i think notttttttt :p

Haha. I couldn't think of how to describe it. jerg's right, it is more of a "bzz".

post #77 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post
 

Once you know what to listen for, you can hear it with just about anything. You're missing my point though.

yeaaaa jergdudeeee. you're totally missing the point yo. the point is that it onlyyyy SPARKS w/ the H4+ember. any other headphones can also pick up this detail as well, but they can't pick up the SPARK yo! and that's the word brotha real talk represent

post #78 of 349
Drinking much?
post #79 of 349
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thujone View Post
 

I did. I did some extensive listening last night with the HE-4 and that puppy can definitely power them, but so can the Ember. In fact, the Ember is a better amp all around, but not by a long shot. Emotiva is slightly thicker and slightly more congested. Ember has just as much speed and punch, but it sounds airier and separates instruments so flawlessly.

 

 

Interesting review! I came from the Project Sunrise 2 and frankly thought the Mini-X was quite a bit better. The Sunrise 2 definitely had good synergy with the HE-500, but it definitely missed the impact/dynamics and sound stage (width) of the Mini-X. So its quite interesting to note that you think that the Ember is an improvement on the Mini-X, though it does double up in power from the Sunrise 2.

 

Which tube are you using with your Project Ember? I had an Amperex Orange label 12AT7 that I liked the most with Sunrise 2. The person who bought my Sunrise 2 also liked this tube the most by far. Perhaps I should put the Ember back on my radar as well as it is so compact, but my experience with the Mini-X experiment is making me hesitant lower down on power output again (or well at least below 2W @ 50ohm). I also didn't appreciate my Sunrise 2's lack of EMI shielding and I guess that holds true for the Ember as well? 

 

I still connect my HE-500 on my Yamaha RX-A3010 AVR and Myryad MXA5150 power amplifier (118dB SNR) from time to time and it is noticeably quieter/cleaner and more expansive sounding compared to the Mini-X, though had better be comparing them cost wise! The bass impact also subsides somewhat, which shows that there is a touch of colouration on the Mini-X's bass mixed with a bit of caffeine throughout, though it certainly is fun.

post #80 of 349
Thread Starter 

The Ember will be more than enough for the HE-500. I love this little amp. It is just a lot cleaner than the Emotiva though the Emotiva hits a tad harder in the bass department (thicker). Soundstage is better on Ember as well (with the HE-4 at least). I feel like they (Ember and HE-4) have similar qualities, both spacious sounding and excellent with instrument separation. Together, it is truly a treat (to my ears).

 

I'm using the 6N1P tube, and I actually haven't tried any others yet. I'm quite satisfied. I'm not too sure I know much about the EMI shielding... I haven't experienced any interference though.

 

The way you describe your other setup to the Emotiva is very similar to how I feel with Ember vs. Emotiva.


Edited by Thujone - 12/14/13 at 7:03am
post #81 of 349

Yeah I listen to a lot more than just EDM, drum and bass just happens to be my favorite genre, and even with EDM I think a balanced less bass heavy sound is superior. All I want is for them to have good sub-bass extension with no roll-off and for them to have decent punch. I don't care about elevated bass at all.

 

EDIT: Also amping the HE-4 shouldn't be an issue I have an Audinst HUD-MX1 which can give about 850mW of power which should be sufficient based on the power graphs I see. This actually seems like the perfect headphone for me since I don't really like V-shaped responses and prefer airy fast headphones.


Edited by Rinx7 - 12/14/13 at 7:33am
post #82 of 349
Just noticed they're not 345 anymore at headamp. Still an amazing hp for the money, but man I'm glad I grabbed mine when I did.
post #83 of 349
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinx7 View Post
 

Yeah I listen to a lot more than just EDM, drum and bass just happens to be my favorite genre, and even with EDM I think a balanced less bass heavy sound is superior. All I want is for them to have good sub-bass extension with no roll-off and for them to have decent punch. I don't care about elevated bass at all.

 

EDIT: Also amping the HE-4 shouldn't be an issue I have an Audinst HUD-MX1 which can give about 850mW of power which should be sufficient based on the power graphs I see. This actually seems like the perfect headphone for me since I don't really like V-shaped responses and prefer airy fast headphones.

 

Power output is still only one piece of the puzzle. The Magni would put out more power than that, but I don't think it would sound too good with the HE-4 (didn't ever get to try the combo before I sold my Magni though, so I can't say for sure). If you buy the HE-4, just be ready to have to spend at least $169 more (Emotiva mini) if you aren't happy with their sound. My Maverick D1, for example, put out a similar wattage as your amp, which got the HE-4 loud enough, but it did not sound good.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

Just noticed they're not 345 anymore at headamp. Still an amazing hp for the money, but man I'm glad I grabbed mine when I did.

 

Yeah, Justin only did a couple batches at that price. I'm glad I got one of them as well, best deal I've ever gotten in this hobby.

post #84 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post
 

 

Power output is still only one piece of the puzzle. The Magni would put out more power than that, but I don't think it would sound too good with the HE-4 (didn't ever get to try the combo before I sold my Magni though, so I can't say for sure). If you buy the HE-4, just be ready to have to spend at least $169 more (Emotiva mini) if you aren't happy with their sound. My Maverick D1, for example, put out a similar wattage as your amp, which got the HE-4 loud enough, but it did not sound good.

 

Eh I have been thinking about getting a new amp anyway. The Project Ember looks pretty cool.

post #85 of 349
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinx7 View Post
 

 

Eh I have been thinking about getting a new amp anyway. The Project Ember looks pretty cool.

It is a very stellar amp, especially considering how under the radar it is.

post #86 of 349

Well I think I know what I am going to get myself for Christmas. Thanks for the help guys. I will report how my Audinst performs with them since it could prove to be a good amp pairing with it on the cheap.

post #87 of 349

Also I don't think the slightly elevated treble will bother me since I originally owned Ultrasones and I could handle their weird unnatural treble OK I just didn't like how hollow they sounded.


Edited by Rinx7 - 12/14/13 at 12:03pm
post #88 of 349
Thread Starter 
Awesome! You'll have to let us know what you think once you get them.
post #89 of 349
Fantastic write up, thanks for this!
post #90 of 349
Thread Starter 

Thank you! Glad I could help.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-400 vs. HE-500 vs. HE-4 Comparison