Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-400 vs. HE-500 vs. HE-4 Comparison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-400 vs. HE-500 vs. HE-4 Comparison - Page 14

post #196 of 324
Thread Starter 

Ooooor you could just buy them yourself!

post #197 of 324
I just looked at the site, @Thujone did you build it yourself or buy assembled? I'm tempted to have a project but $50 is cheap for build and warranty.
post #198 of 324
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post

I just looked at the site, @Thujone did you build it yourself or buy assembled? I'm tempted to have a project but $50 is cheap for build and warranty.

I had them build it. I'm not the best with soldering, so I would have had a buddy do it. Even then it would have taken quite a while to put together, and without the warranty. Jeremy should already have plenty of them built, then you can choose the tube, the LED below the tube, and a silver or black volume knob.

post #199 of 324
I would tHink the warranty is worth the insurance for $50 but it's so tempting to take one on and be able to pride on the build.
post #200 of 324
Thread Starter 

If I was creative enough to come up with my own enclosure, it would make more sense. I really like their open design though. 

post #201 of 324
Any pics on the housing?

Looks like I'll have a choice to make come March. New hf or tube amp.... decisions decisionsics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

If I was creative enough to come up with my own enclosure, it would make more sense. I really like their open design though. 

Edited by Soundsgoodtome - 1/12/14 at 2:38pm
post #202 of 324
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post

Any pics on the housing?

Looks like I'll have a choice to make come March. New hf or tube amp.... decisions decisionsics?

Their homepage has plenty of pics of their amps. If I were you I'd go for the amp, given HFM's revision history and the fact that you already have the HE-4.

post #203 of 324

I'm looking at picking up a set of he-4's. I am also mainly an EDM listener. Owned a pair of he-500's for awhile but defiantly found them too polite and a bit dark. Initially i had decided on the he-400 as a replacement for the 500's (especially for EDM), but the more i read the more i think the he-4's might actually be better. 

 

 

So, is the bass really that lacking in the he-4 compared to the 400? I felt the 500's bass was just about spot on. Maybe could have had a tad bit more slam. I've got a couple vintage receivers i will be running it off that will most likely warm up the sound a bit (or at least keep it neutral). The clarity and speed of the he-4 sound like a perfect match for EDM. Anyone out there prefer them for that genre of music to the 400's?

post #204 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarpentier View Post
 

I'm looking at picking up a set of he-4's. I am also mainly an EDM listener. Owned a pair of he-500's for awhile but defiantly found them too polite and a bit dark. Initially i had decided on the he-400 as a replacement for the 500's (especially for EDM), but the more i read the more i think the he-4's might actually be better. 

 

 

So, is the bass really that lacking in the he-4 compared to the 400? I felt the 500's bass was just about spot on. Maybe could have had a tad bit more slam. I've got a couple vintage receivers i will be running it off that will most likely warm up the sound a bit (or at least keep it neutral). The clarity and speed of the he-4 sound like a perfect match for EDM. Anyone out there prefer them for that genre of music to the 400's?

 

The 4 and 500s have just about the same quantity and bass slam IMO. I was able to switch between the two back to back at the recent Seattle meet. As for EDM, I don't listen enough to it to be able to say, yes I prefer the 4s over the 400. There's always EQ to get what you want as well, HF orthos seem to take equalizing pretty well (as in there isn't much degrading of sound).

post #205 of 324

So there's all this chatter on the 400i and 560 thread about impressions/comparisons between the new gear and the 500/HE6. My question to you guys is, which one will be first to compare the HE4 to these 3rd generation (or are they more like 2nd generation) Hifimans?

post #206 of 324
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarpentier View Post
 

I'm looking at picking up a set of he-4's. I am also mainly an EDM listener. Owned a pair of he-500's for awhile but defiantly found them too polite and a bit dark. Initially i had decided on the he-400 as a replacement for the 500's (especially for EDM), but the more i read the more i think the he-4's might actually be better.

 

 

So, is the bass really that lacking in the he-4 compared to the 400? I felt the 500's bass was just about spot on. Maybe could have had a tad bit more slam. I've got a couple vintage receivers i will be running it off that will most likely warm up the sound a bit (or at least keep it neutral). The clarity and speed of the he-4 sound like a perfect match for EDM. Anyone out there prefer them for that genre of music to the 400's?

The HE-4's have better impact than the HE-500's but slightly less rumble. I wouldn't say the HE-500's are bloated by any means but the HE-4's are definitely leaner. I have yet to find a pair of headphones better for EDM than the HE-4's, but that's just me.

post #207 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post
 

The HE-4's have better impact than the HE-500's but slightly less rumble. I wouldn't say the HE-500's are bloated by any means but the HE-4's are definitely leaner. I have yet to find a pair of headphones better for EDM than the HE-4's, but that's just me.

Yeah, bass quantity is the most overacted thing ever in EDM. Neutral is always better no matter what genre.

post #208 of 324

Can anyone comment on the bass of the he-4 compared to the k701/q701's ? I'm running the q701's right now and i think they are actually pretty good bass wise for electronic music (properly amped of course).

post #209 of 324
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarpentier View Post
 

Can anyone comment on the bass of the he-4 compared to the k701/q701's ? I'm running the q701's right now and i think they are actually pretty good bass wise for electronic music (properly amped of course).

I had the K702/65 and it had hardly any sub bass presence in comparison, IMO.

post #210 of 324

Ok so my HE-4, my amp, and DAC are in the mail. So I was thinking, what albums should I have on hand to listen to to give the HE-4 a good workout? Any suggestions?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-400 vs. HE-500 vs. HE-4 Comparison