Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-400 vs. HE-500 vs. HE-4 Comparison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-400 vs. HE-500 vs. HE-4 Comparison - Page 13

post #181 of 349
Dope! Thought rinx and whiskey were the same person lol
post #182 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Is that your Pioneer that I spy in photo? I hope to have my sx1280 back from the restoration sometime next week. It's been a long time coming. 

Man, I thought you sold your 1280 for some reason. I hope to hear one someday. I've always love vintage gear. Wish I could find my dads NAD receiver and equalizer. That setup was awesome when I was a kid.
post #183 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post

Does the HE4 pair well with the Emotiva Mini-X? And if an Ember is better, want to sell me your Emotiva so you can get an Ember?


See what I did there? Lol L3000.gif

Sure ill sell you my modded mini x for 280 like someone was trying to do last week. I may sell it if I find an ember in the FS section soon. Ill pm you If I do. Don't worry itd just be cost of mini plus shipping, no parts/labor for a $5 hp jack.
Edited by hemipowered007 - 1/11/14 at 10:36pm
post #184 of 349
Sweet lmk when they're fs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

Sure ill sell you my modded mini x for 280 like someone was trying to do last week. I may sell it if I find an ember in the FS section soon. Ill pm you If I do. Don't worry itd just be cost of mini plus shipping, no parts/labor for a $5 hp jack.
post #185 of 349
Stupid upgrade and sidegraditis....I gots the itch. Content with this awesome hp though. Just need, bottlehead quickie going into emotiva, or ember on its own. And a usb bifrost.
Thing is, bottlehead quickie+ mini x is the same price as an ember kit. Why! Why can't it be easier!!!!
post #186 of 349
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Whiskey View Post
 

My HE-400s match up to what your post says pretty well, AMAZING bass representation, but a slight treble spike that can easily be EQed out however. Thanks for making a thread that compares them to the other two HFM cans.

I really like all three of these cans, no doubt. The tizziness on the HE-400 treble was something that I could never EQ away. I had EQ on the entire time I owned them and it helped mitigate the intensity but the tizz stayed strong. Definitely not natural treble, regardless of EQ. The HE-4 really showed that; it has pronounced treble as well without being as tizzy. A looot less sibilance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

Whaaadup thujone? Thanks for the help bud.

Nice! You managed to avoid the worst part (IMO) of the whole process: removing the knob from the pot. I detached the PC board from the front plate instead of unplugging the connectors. It was not fun. I wish I would have done it your way but I thought the connectors were a little too... firm.

 

I actually installed some 150ohm resistors to mine tonight. Sooooo much better. I can now get above the inaccuracy in the pot while completely removing the noise floor from my T50RP and HE-4. I'm feeling a lot better about it now for sure. If I decide to get some bookshelves, I may end up holding onto this sucker after all. Still, it's no Ember ;) 


Edited by Thujone - 1/11/14 at 11:13pm
post #187 of 349
Damn you thujone....
post #188 of 349
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

Damn you thujone....

Don't let your beer influence your craving for the Ember.

 

 

 

 

Just kidding, you should get one QUICK, before you change your mind!

post #189 of 349
But, but what about the quickie? That thing is intriguing... I wonder if quickie + emotiva would best the ember alone. Maybe ill buy it so we can compare. Its only $100 after all. And i'd like a tube pre amp for the 4 and my model 6s anyway.
post #190 of 349
Thread Starter 

You won't get the resolution and spaciousness of the Ember, because ultimately you will still be using the Emotiva in the chain. My guess is that the Quickie will add some warmth though. Can't go wrong with getting warm and snuggly.

post #191 of 349
I wish there was a way I could hear an ember.
post #192 of 349
The lyr would be a side grade from the ember, what would be a good value upgrade from the ember as far as tube amps go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

You won't get the resolution and spaciousness of the Ember, because ultimately you will still be using the Emotiva in the chain. My guess is that the Quickie will add some warmth though. Can't go wrong with getting warm and snuggly.

Edited by Soundsgoodtome - 1/11/14 at 11:35pm
post #193 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post


Man, I thought you sold your 1280 for some reason. I hope to hear one someday. I've always love vintage gear. Wish I could find my dads NAD receiver and equalizer. That setup was awesome when I was a kid.

 

I did sell the original 1280 but then another popped up locally at a great price. Waiting for the restore to be finished. 

post #194 of 349
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

I wish there was a way I could hear an ember.
I'm pretty attached right now, but I may have to let you audition it at some point. Gotta get the bandwagon started somehow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post

The lyr would be a side grade from the ember, what would be a good value upgrade from the ember as far as tube amps go?
I tell myself not to think of such things!!
post #195 of 349
Well if you're going to send the ember, might as well send that bifrost top. It'd only make sense.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-400 vs. HE-500 vs. HE-4 Comparison