or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Spending $1,500 on 5+ Headphones to Compare for YOU guys. Which Ones Qualify?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Spending $1,500 on 5+ Headphones to Compare for YOU guys. Which Ones Qualify? - Page 7

post #91 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
 

 

 

Love it! :-)

You are 100% correct.

 

By the way, I appreciate clearing things up for me about the Db. I know about it but didn't check on it for the HP100. I mainly focused on the ohms. Maybe that is the problem with the HP100. They simply were blend to me, but so is my friend's Sennheiser HD600 (300ohms) via iPhone without an amp. I get it.

 

I just felt that the guy who suggested specifically KEF501 or whatever that model is, was simply using me to see how good/bad those headphones are because I can't believe anyone would put them on the same level as the other 3 I used.

 

Anyway, thanks for reminding me to keep the sensitivity (Db) in mind, other than the ohms rating.

Heh. Well if you didn't like the HD600 then I don't know what to suggest to you, as it's one of the best headphones in my opinion. Maybe you just want more bass, but you also said you wanted tight bass. Anyways, if you want something more aggressive, try P7, Momentum, or M-100.

post #92 of 147
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post
 

I'm sure someone else has pointed it out already, but it's bass. You know, like the fish.

funny thing is ... i used to say BASS and then someone said it's BASE :-)

post #93 of 147
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

Heh. Well if you didn't like the HD600 then I don't know what to suggest to you, as it's one of the best headphones in my opinion. Maybe you just want more bass, but you also said you wanted tight bass. Anyways, if you want something more aggressive, try P7, Momentum, or M-100.

 

I just compared my $140 Sennheiser HD380 to Sennheiser 600 ($250 or something today) using not my iPhone as that HD600 is 300 ohms ... instead I used my Receiver (Denon 4311ci).....

 

some things the HD600 did better. I was actually finally impressed. Soundstage is larger than HD380 that's for sure.  But, overall HD380 is more forgiving. So, something with lost of treble sounded not soo pleasant through HD600 while HD380 handled it better. I can easily see where you take a "perfect" recording and compare HD380 to HD600 ... HD600 will win in my book most likely, but, not all 320kb MP3s and even FLACs are perfect and so far I like how HD380 handles the not so good recordings.

 

I am still happy with the $140 pair. So far had 5 other headsets price range $150-$399 go against it). Again, just my opinion and to my ears.

post #94 of 147
Thread Starter 
post #95 of 147
My guess is you will hate the Grados and Shures and love the Momentums.
post #96 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalithian View Post

My guess is you will hate the Grados and Shures and love the Momentums.

I'm guessing he will think that they are all mediocre and continue ranting about his 380s.

post #97 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekka View Post

I'm guessing he will think that they are all mediocre and continue ranting about his 380s.

Probably more likely smily_headphones1.gif
post #98 of 147
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekka View Post
 

I'm guessing he will think that they are all mediocre and continue ranting about his 380s.

 

haha, noo, I am trying to be truthful to myself. 

We'll see.

post #99 of 147
Pretty sure you won't like the Beyer's eh?
post #100 of 147
I'll go with the 598, but with his ears it's anyone's game. smily_headphones1.gif


But let's put together what he likes. He seems to actually like some bass. He likes large sound stages. He wants a darker sound that is forgiving, but wants it to be a bit warm instead of flat. Hmm... I'll throw the Philip L1 into the ring here.
Edited by Vain III - 12/5/13 at 9:37pm
post #101 of 147
Big bass + soundstage? I though they are both enemies?
post #102 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

Big bass + soundstage? I though they are both enemies?

 

They are, but then there's always exceptions. The DT990, for example.

post #103 of 147
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vain III View Post

I'll go with the 598, but with his ears it's anyone's game. smily_headphones1.gif


But let's put together what he likes. He seems to actually like some bass. He likes large sound stages. He wants a darker sound that is forgiving, but wants it to be a bit warm instead of flat. Hmm... I'll throw the Philip L1 into the ring here.

 

Very analytical of you. :-)

 

When I listened to my friend's HD600, I heard something there that I did not hear with HD380. I think it was probably more clarity in sound ... BUT... like I said, some high treble notes were just too blendishly piercing to my ear.

 

Maybe it's because they needed a good amp? I always hear that an AMP, especially for the 300ohm rated phones would fix the thin sounding notes, add warmth, depth, bass, etc. Maybe the problem is the source.

 

This weekend, will pick 2-3 headphones including the HD600 and go listen to them at a friend's place. He's using a MAC with a pretty good sound card that should do well.

post #104 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post

 

 

When I listened to my friend's HD600, I heard something there that I did not hear with HD380. I think it was probably more clarity in sound ... BUT... like I said, some high treble notes were just too blendishly piercing to my ear.

 

The HD600's are sibilant? Loool well that rules out like 80% of the hi-fi headphone market for you.

post #105 of 147
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post
 

 

The HD600's are sibilant? Loool well that rules out like 80% of the hi-fi headphone market for you.

 

I am assuming the HD600 has a reputation to be the opposite of what I heard right? :-)

anyway, maybe it's the AMP that is missing. I'll report later on when I hook them up to a good sound card

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Spending $1,500 on 5+ Headphones to Compare for YOU guys. Which Ones Qualify?