- 1,151 Posts. Joined 11/2013
- Location: USA
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudez'e LCD-Xtagged by System, 11/25/13
Related Forum Threads
- 2nd pair of cans Last post on 12/10/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- **Amp suggestions needed** Last post on 9/2/14 at 9:06am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- First Flagship Headphone--Can't decide! Last post on 9/13/14 at 12:47pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recommended cable for Audeze? Last post on 8/21/14 at 7:46pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Divine Moments in Music Last post on 12/22/14 at 8:11am in Music
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/8/14
I tested it with Dr.Chesky's Binaural album and Depeche Mode flacs. What I like most is of course bass response..it is more than enough, maybe a bit exaggerated, aggressive. Overall, I am...
I used this sound card for 5 years. It replaced that time my previous card M-Audio Audiophile 2496. As far as I know at present (2014/2015) it is not possible to buy this card as new in Europe....
So I got these real cheap, I thought what the heck for $15 I can't go wrong.....I was wrong. Well they are listenable, I hardly call them a gaming headphone besides the mic built in, explosions...
Well I only had it for a week now and being listening to it about 3-5 hours a day even before I go to bed yes this is how good it is to me. My only other DAP's I have it to compare to are the DX50...
When I listen to these Headphones I always think to Polygamy. That is because I am already in love for another Headphone but I am also attracted by these Liberate. They are not exactly my kind...
SS Amp Recommendations for Audeze LCD-X
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I listened to the LCD-X on a GSX Mk2, audio GD master 8 & Mjolnir. The GSX and master 8 were the best and very close to each other while the Mjolnir was a bit behind those 2 and didn't really seem like a good pairing TBH.
There wasn't a Burson, so I can't comment there but the Master 8 is about half the price of a GSX and you are literally splitting hairs and talking about that last 1%.
Ok good to know, wasn't sure if the Mjolnir would be the best match, though I do kind of prefer the idea of balanced vs. non-balanced at that price range. But everything I've read about the Burson Conductor makes it seem like it would be a good match for the LCD-X
I can't comment on either the Burson or the Shiit stack, but I've had the LCD-X for a few months now, and have enjoyed getting to know them on a couple solid state DAC/Amp combos.
The LCD-X are quite an interesting beast: one one hand it's insanely easy to drive (it has stupidly low power requirements -- you can run it off your iPhone and it sounds passable) -- but on the other hand it's also quite revealing. The source/amp combo on these cans is less about how they drive, and more about what character of the sound you want to experience.
One note of caution: the LCD-X are so sensitive, you can easily find yourself stuck in the first 1-2% zone of the volume knob on some headphone amps (like the Bryston) -- particularly when running them balanced. Make sure you can audition them with the amps you're looking for before you buy-in.
Compared to the Sennheiser HD600 and HD800s, the LCD-X are very bassy and slightly more "polite-sounding" (think less etched-sounding treble). The soundstage is smaller than the HD800s, but the powerful low-end tends to create a big envelope of sound (read: expansive sound, but it's harder to resolve specific instruments/locations)
I've been going back and forth between two setups (both in 4-pin XLR balanced mode):
- Benchmark DAC2 + Bryston BHA-1
- Oppo HA-1 (both DAC and amp)
The Benchmark/Bryston combination sounds fantastic. The only catch is that the LCD-X are just too sensitive for the Bryston amp. I have to pot the Benchmark DAC2 down from unity gain in order to listen to a reasonable sound level on the Bryston. The BHA-1 sound is fantastic on the LCD-X, but it doesn't seem well-calibrated to run extremely sensitive headphones.
The Oppo, on the other hand seems like it's in the goldilocks zone for the LCD-X. I'm not sure whether it's the DAC or the amp portion of the Oppo that has this character, but it's just slightly more detailed in the treble than the benchmark/bryston combo. This pairs really, really well with the LCD-X, making them feel slightly less polite and rolled-off in the top-end. The low-end is powerful, but what sounds like just a little more detail in the treble really tends to round out these orthos.
Verdict: the Oppo HA-1 is an amazing match with the LCD-X (it's also a fantastic, very high-quality all-in-one DAC/headphone amp). The Benchmark/Bryston combo seems to fit much better with the Sennheiser HD600, though -- they and the HD800 benefit massively from balanced operation. I'm still undecided which setup I prefer for the HD800, though.
Edited by jonahsfo - 9/7/14 at 10:34pm
- SS Amp Recommendations for Audeze LCD-X
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread 49 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1 firmware version 1.10 download and discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling 3 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 4 minutes ago
- › Pair of RCA 5693 (6SJ7) tubes 5 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 5 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 6 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Koss RUK 30K Noise Isolating In-Ear Stereophone, Black by ajlan
- › Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi by Ataka
- › Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset by TsukiNick
- › SHOZY Alien DAP by AudioGG
- › The House of Marley Liberate XL BT by Giogio
- › Bang & Olufsen A8 Earphones by fjhuerta
- › JBL Synchros 400BT Bluetooth Wireless On-Ear Stereo Headphones, Black by Giogio
- › JBL J56 BT Bluetooth Wireless On-Ear Stereo Headphone, Black by Giogio
- › Jabra REVO Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headphones - Retail Packaging... by Giogio
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by Rockthemboots
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)