- 1,262 Posts. Joined 11/2013
- Location: USA
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudez'e LCD-Xtagged by System, 11/25/13
Related Forum Threads
- What open headphones (no IEM and closed headphones) compete with Grados for Rock. Last post on 2/20/15 at 4:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need Help with Amp Decision for LCD-3f before deployment Last post on 12/26/14 at 4:34pm in High-end Audio Forum
- 2nd pair of cans Last post on 1/7/15 at 9:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- **Amp suggestions needed** Last post on 9/2/14 at 9:06am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- First Flagship Headphone--Can't decide! Last post on 2/8/15 at 10:23pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/8/14
I'll start off by saying I am by no means an audiophile, just a kid with some money and a passion for music. These headphones, as far as I can tell, have more prominent mids than most...
Let me just say one thing up front: if you have any complaints about the speed or the bass extension of these headphones, you need a better headphone amp. /endofdiscussion The HD600s will take the...
Sound is neutral with a slight mid bass tilt. Highs and lows are well extended. Sound stage is large for an iem. The bass has some impact without being boomy. The treble is clear without...
Thanks to Vivian from DUNU, I was able to listen to the best IEMs I place in my ears. I have reviewed a few IEMs such as the MEELEC M9, A151, CC51, M-DUO, JVC FXT90 and recently the Havi B3P1, but...
These have nice dynamics and are flatter than some headphones. Despite that the low-end still has enough gusto to bring tracks to life. Another benefit is the detachable cable which uses a 5N OFC...
SS Amp Recommendations for Audeze LCD-X
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I listened to the LCD-X on a GSX Mk2, audio GD master 8 & Mjolnir. The GSX and master 8 were the best and very close to each other while the Mjolnir was a bit behind those 2 and didn't really seem like a good pairing TBH.
There wasn't a Burson, so I can't comment there but the Master 8 is about half the price of a GSX and you are literally splitting hairs and talking about that last 1%.
Ok good to know, wasn't sure if the Mjolnir would be the best match, though I do kind of prefer the idea of balanced vs. non-balanced at that price range. But everything I've read about the Burson Conductor makes it seem like it would be a good match for the LCD-X
I can't comment on either the Burson or the Shiit stack, but I've had the LCD-X for a few months now, and have enjoyed getting to know them on a couple solid state DAC/Amp combos.
The LCD-X are quite an interesting beast: one one hand it's insanely easy to drive (it has stupidly low power requirements -- you can run it off your iPhone and it sounds passable) -- but on the other hand it's also quite revealing. The source/amp combo on these cans is less about how they drive, and more about what character of the sound you want to experience.
One note of caution: the LCD-X are so sensitive, you can easily find yourself stuck in the first 1-2% zone of the volume knob on some headphone amps (like the Bryston) -- particularly when running them balanced. Make sure you can audition them with the amps you're looking for before you buy-in.
Compared to the Sennheiser HD600 and HD800s, the LCD-X are very bassy and slightly more "polite-sounding" (think less etched-sounding treble). The soundstage is smaller than the HD800s, but the powerful low-end tends to create a big envelope of sound (read: expansive sound, but it's harder to resolve specific instruments/locations)
I've been going back and forth between two setups (both in 4-pin XLR balanced mode):
- Benchmark DAC2 + Bryston BHA-1
- Oppo HA-1 (both DAC and amp)
The Benchmark/Bryston combination sounds fantastic. The only catch is that the LCD-X are just too sensitive for the Bryston amp. I have to pot the Benchmark DAC2 down from unity gain in order to listen to a reasonable sound level on the Bryston. The BHA-1 sound is fantastic on the LCD-X, but it doesn't seem well-calibrated to run extremely sensitive headphones.
The Oppo, on the other hand seems like it's in the goldilocks zone for the LCD-X. I'm not sure whether it's the DAC or the amp portion of the Oppo that has this character, but it's just slightly more detailed in the treble than the benchmark/bryston combo. This pairs really, really well with the LCD-X, making them feel slightly less polite and rolled-off in the top-end. The low-end is powerful, but what sounds like just a little more detail in the treble really tends to round out these orthos.
Verdict: the Oppo HA-1 is an amazing match with the LCD-X (it's also a fantastic, very high-quality all-in-one DAC/headphone amp). The Benchmark/Bryston combo seems to fit much better with the Sennheiser HD600, though -- they and the HD800 benefit massively from balanced operation. I'm still undecided which setup I prefer for the HD800, though.
Edited by jonahsfo - 9/7/14 at 10:34pm
- SS Amp Recommendations for Audeze LCD-X
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › iFi iDSD Micro VS Chord HUGO 13 seconds ago
- › Repairing Monoprice 605500 5-in Powered Monitor Speakers - Need New... 37 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 39 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Grado e Series 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 1 minute ago
- › Power vs Volume 1 minute ago
- › Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread 2 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphones ATH-AD900X by NineRedTools
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by rjm003
- › Miles Davis Trumpet High Performance In-ear Headphones by Merfolk
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Niyologist
- › Goldring DR100 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by interpolate
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Delance26
- › AudioMinor Headphone Cables by Baycode
- › Etymotic Research Isolator MK5 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Earphones by eyal1983
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold by Frank I
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by Inks
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3