- 1,830 Posts. Joined 11/2013
- Location: USA
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudez'e LCD-Xtagged by System, 11/25/13
Related Forum Threads
- What open headphones (no IEM and closed headphones) compete with Grados for Rock. Last post on 2/20/15 at 4:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need Help with Amp Decision for LCD-3f before deployment Last post on 12/26/14 at 4:34pm in High-end Audio Forum
- 2nd pair of cans Last post on 1/7/15 at 9:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- **Amp suggestions needed** Last post on 9/2/14 at 9:06am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- First Flagship Headphone--Can't decide! Last post on 2/8/15 at 10:23pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/31/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
At the time this review was written the Cayin C5DAC was on sale at Penon Audio for $215.00 USD. Here is a link to their...
Intro When it comes to the world of PC audio, Creative Labs is a brand well known. For nearly 35 years Creative has been an industry leader in digital multimedia technology and innovation....
I have had my AK380 for over a month now and its time to post a review Before I had the AK380 I had an NW-ZX2 for 6 months, an AK240 for nearly two years and the AK120 before that, so yes, I...
I have tried the JBL Synchros line of s300, s500, and s700. As it turns out, the low end model sounds the best to me. These are on ear design, cups are about 3 inches wide. Headband and yokes are...
These are easy to use and pair quickly with your device. The sound quality - lows, mids, and highs are excellent provided a good seal with the ear. Good bluetooth range, battery life, and comfort....
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
SS Amp Recommendations for Audeze LCD-X
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I listened to the LCD-X on a GSX Mk2, audio GD master 8 & Mjolnir. The GSX and master 8 were the best and very close to each other while the Mjolnir was a bit behind those 2 and didn't really seem like a good pairing TBH.
There wasn't a Burson, so I can't comment there but the Master 8 is about half the price of a GSX and you are literally splitting hairs and talking about that last 1%.
Ok good to know, wasn't sure if the Mjolnir would be the best match, though I do kind of prefer the idea of balanced vs. non-balanced at that price range. But everything I've read about the Burson Conductor makes it seem like it would be a good match for the LCD-X
I can't comment on either the Burson or the Shiit stack, but I've had the LCD-X for a few months now, and have enjoyed getting to know them on a couple solid state DAC/Amp combos.
The LCD-X are quite an interesting beast: one one hand it's insanely easy to drive (it has stupidly low power requirements -- you can run it off your iPhone and it sounds passable) -- but on the other hand it's also quite revealing. The source/amp combo on these cans is less about how they drive, and more about what character of the sound you want to experience.
One note of caution: the LCD-X are so sensitive, you can easily find yourself stuck in the first 1-2% zone of the volume knob on some headphone amps (like the Bryston) -- particularly when running them balanced. Make sure you can audition them with the amps you're looking for before you buy-in.
Compared to the Sennheiser HD600 and HD800s, the LCD-X are very bassy and slightly more "polite-sounding" (think less etched-sounding treble). The soundstage is smaller than the HD800s, but the powerful low-end tends to create a big envelope of sound (read: expansive sound, but it's harder to resolve specific instruments/locations)
I've been going back and forth between two setups (both in 4-pin XLR balanced mode):
- Benchmark DAC2 + Bryston BHA-1
- Oppo HA-1 (both DAC and amp)
The Benchmark/Bryston combination sounds fantastic. The only catch is that the LCD-X are just too sensitive for the Bryston amp. I have to pot the Benchmark DAC2 down from unity gain in order to listen to a reasonable sound level on the Bryston. The BHA-1 sound is fantastic on the LCD-X, but it doesn't seem well-calibrated to run extremely sensitive headphones.
The Oppo, on the other hand seems like it's in the goldilocks zone for the LCD-X. I'm not sure whether it's the DAC or the amp portion of the Oppo that has this character, but it's just slightly more detailed in the treble than the benchmark/bryston combo. This pairs really, really well with the LCD-X, making them feel slightly less polite and rolled-off in the top-end. The low-end is powerful, but what sounds like just a little more detail in the treble really tends to round out these orthos.
Verdict: the Oppo HA-1 is an amazing match with the LCD-X (it's also a fantastic, very high-quality all-in-one DAC/headphone amp). The Benchmark/Bryston combo seems to fit much better with the Sennheiser HD600, though -- they and the HD800 benefit massively from balanced operation. I'm still undecided which setup I prefer for the HD800, though.
Edited by jonahsfo - 9/7/14 at 10:34pm
- SS Amp Recommendations for Audeze LCD-X
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the best Bluetooth Headphones -... 1 minute ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 1 minute ago
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 5 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 5 minutes ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 6 minutes ago
- › In-Ear for metal <$200 6 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 6 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 - Hybrid (1DD + 1BA) IEM - Impressions and discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 6 minutes ago
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Hisoundfi
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by dubbcd
- › HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 (External PSU) by BloodyPenguin
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by Reinoud1963
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2