Long time lurker here. Finally decided to get an account
I use my headphones at my PC primarily for gaming, listening to music, and watching movies. Pretty standard stuff.
I had made my mind up to get some Sennheiser HD650's and a Bottlehead Crack, but have recently been reading more and more about Hifiman HE400's.
With gaming and the type of music I listen to in mind, it seems as though the HE400's may be better suited for what I want, but I am really not sure. Nobody really seems to be able to decide one way or the other between the two, and tend to recommend that you just own both. :)
If I do go with the HD650's I will also get a Bottlehead Crack. Seems like fun to build!
However, I am hesitant to pull the trigger on a Crack because now I am not sure if I should get the 650's or the HE400's.
If I go HE400's, are there any good recommendations on amps? I've seen lots of good things said about the Schiit Lyr, but not sure I want to spend $500 on the amp and only $400 on the headphone. :)
I am leaning towards the 650 because I think that soundwise I can't really go wrong either way, and the comfort level will be much better for extended gaming sessions.
If anyone has any advice either way for my choice, with regard to my insterests, it would be very much appreciated.
- Budget - <$1000
- Source - PC - Asus Xonar DX (getting amp also)
- Requirements for Isolation - Does not matter
- Preferred Type of Headphone - Full sized
- Preferred tonal balance - Tend to be a basshead I guess.. but I want balance also
- Past headphones - HD280, PC360, ATH AD700 - Current is AD700. Very comfortable. Not much bass. OK headphone overall, but I want to dive into some upgrades. :)
- Preferred Music - Tends to be more neo-80's electronica kind of stuff, like Kavinsky or Lazerhawk. Sometimes movie scores.. not a whole lot else really. Little smatterings of other stuff here and there, but those are the primaries.
- Location - Canada
Thank you sirs/madams!