Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › B&W P7 vs NAD VISO HP50
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

B&W P7 vs NAD VISO HP50 - Page 3

post #31 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhen68 View Post
 

I find it curious that neither of these very good headphones is showing up on various "best of 2013" lists...

mmm... i would imagine that for the p7 is because of its high price (there are a lot of alternatives w/ comparable sound quality at a better price)... and for the hp50, it's still pretty new, so probably not gotten around to all reviewers yet. they both seem like solid headphones, but I personally wouldn't crown either of them as the king.

post #32 of 89

...so what would you crown?

post #33 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhen68 View Post
 

...so what would you crown?

mmm... the $200-400 closed portable headphone market is too crowded & it really depends on what you're looking for. from my experience, they are all basically pretty similar in sound quality with different sound signatures/styles/comfort. I haven't tried a pair that is a definitive step above the rest.

 

I would think that the king would be crowned from a performance-to-price standpoint as the pricier headphones that I've tried haven't really offered significant upgrade in sound quality to justify their premium price tag from my experience. I personally am really excited to try the akg k545. I've seen em for $200 & if they are anything like their big brother k550, it would be an amazing steal imo.

post #34 of 89

These two certainly are the best closed-back portables I've heard. Both have excellent clarity, naturalness and refinement throughout. I personally consider the HP50 to have a more inviting midrange, but the P7 to have slightly better bass and a bigger soundstage. In terms of treble, the P7 is a little brighter but none of them are harsh in the slightest. 

post #35 of 89

Been listening to these two sets for several hours over the last couple of weeks.

 

First time around I preferred the P7. And for classical music I still think they are superior. Second time around listening more to metal and rock the HP50 just blew the P7 out of the water. Went back a 3rd time to listen to the HP50 a bit more. Then I started to notice a slight pressure on my right ear. Went back a 4th time and now I have almost concluded that they just won't fit - I mean for hours of continuous listening. I also think I've been able to EQ the P7 away from what is in my opinion the headsets weakest points - almost making it as good as the HP50 playing metal and rock.

 

Almost makes me sad that I probably can't get the HP50 (even if I think they looks silly with the "square" head band).

post #36 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan647 View Post
 

These two certainly are the best closed-back portables I've heard. Both have excellent clarity, naturalness and refinement throughout. I personally consider the HP50 to have a more inviting midrange, but the P7 to have slightly better bass and a bigger soundstage. In terms of treble, the P7 is a little brighter but none of them are harsh in the slightest. 

They are indeed both great headphones. However, the P7 sounded too boomy while the HP50 lacked bass and lower midrange warmth. The AKG K545 took both of those headphones and combined their strengths while disregarding their weaknesses. 

post #37 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonusAudio View Post
 

They are indeed both great headphones. However, the P7 sounded too boomy while the HP50 lacked bass and lower midrange warmth. The AKG K545 took both of those headphones and combined their strengths while disregarding their weaknesses. 

 

I disagree about those impressions actually, but hey we're all different. 

 

Yet to hear the K545.

post #38 of 89

Just noticed that Amazon is selling the P7s for $489.99.  Why would they have them over MSRP?

post #39 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHC76 View Post

Just noticed that Amazon is selling the P7s for $489.99.  Why would they have them over MSRP?

FWIW, that's not Amazon, but a third-party seller. Amazon has it for $399.99.
post #40 of 89

"Sold by Software-Central and Fulfilled by Amazon" So it is a third party seller, so they can charge what they want I suppose. Amazon's own in-house listing shows retail, but out-of-stock. 

post #41 of 89

Yeah, just noticed.  They're gouging because Amazon is out of stock.  I just noticed the Prime logo and thought it was Amazon

post #42 of 89
Incidentally, just returned my HP50 and got these instead. Still burning them in, but was concerned with the instrument separation off of Hotel California. The burned in (demo version) P5 sounded brighter and better at separating.

I do like that these P7s are doing a great job with classical as well.
post #43 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

Incidentally, just returned my HP50 and got these instead. Still burning them in, but was concerned with the instrument separation off of Hotel California. The burned in (demo version) P5 sounded brighter and better at separating.

I do like that these P7s are doing a great job with classical as well.

 

Just listened to Hotel California because of this post.  My P7s probably have 40 hours on them now, and separation has been great and they have a very nice wide soundstage.  

 

BUT, there's something about this song.  I'm listening at 320mbps and it felt a bit cramped.  Strange.  Hadn't experience that with anything else I have yet listened to.

post #44 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHC76 View Post

Just listened to Hotel California because of this post.  My P7s probably have 40 hours on them now, and separation has been great and they have a very nice wide soundstage.  

BUT, there's something about this song.  I'm listening at 320mbps and it felt a bit cramped.  Strange.  Hadn't experience that with anything else I have yet listened to.

I was listening to a FLAC file through my X3 at the store and it felt cramped as directly compared to the P5. That was a bit disturbing, but chalked it up to burn in.

I've put in about 15 hours of burn in so far on them, and have noticed little details start coming through (e.g., Al Green's Let's Stay Together from Pulp Fiction). I haven't yet gone back to Hotel California though and am a bit reluctant. biggrin.gif
post #45 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post


I was listening to a FLAC file through my X3 at the store and it felt cramped as directly compared to the P5. That was a bit disturbing, but chalked it up to burn in.

I've put in about 15 hours of burn in so far on them, and have noticed little details start coming through (e.g., Al Green's Let's Stay Together from Pulp Fiction). I haven't yet gone back to Hotel California though and am a bit reluctant. biggrin.gif

Could just be the recording itself, I don't know.  I'll defer to those more knowledgeable than myself.  

 

Again, I haven't heard another album that was that cramped.  I listen to everything from Brahms to Metallica, Boston to Tupac.  So, I've heard a broad spectrum

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › B&W P7 vs NAD VISO HP50